• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake Campus Development Thread

Benson was great and a huge improvement over the student facilities when it open over 30 years ago. Now, it’s a pretty atrociously outdated facility compared to what you get at other schools that don’t cost $90K a year.
Did students ever use more that the second level? We stored stuff and met for committee meetings with project pumpkin, and I know that the multicultural student offices were well used, but that was it outside of rare events. Those functions can be easily replaced anywhere on campus like Greek orgs and campus ministries are already doing.

Well before Benson opened, the only places to eat on campus were The Pit and The Snack Pit, so yeah, when the food court and Pizza Hut opened, it was well used. There were a lot of complaints however that too much space upstairs was dedicated to administrative use.

And that includes shortys. Only thing I remember about that place was skip prosser making reference to going there which I found very bizarre.

I am pretty sure I haven’t been to campus since attending a graduation for class of 08

I am pretty sure I haven’t been to campus since attending a graduation for class of 08
I'm headed back to my alma mater boarding school next month for the first time in more than 20 years. Going to be weird.

The Howler offices were in Benson and I was the Director of Photography for a year or two so I had access to that office which was sweet. It had a darkroom as well.

FWIW NC State is currently soliciting design proposals for a new business school building. Project budget is $200 million (includes design, construction, and associated soft costs).

Project cost for the new student center at NC A&T that opened in 2018 was $90 million.

The Howler offices were in Benson and I was the Director of Photography for a year or two so I had access to that office which was sweet. It had a darkroom as well.

WAKE radio was right next door to the Howler offices. We had a midnight to 3am show and would bring beers and whatever else up there and play whatever the hell we felt like playing, even cutting in to sing along to the music at times. It's not like anybody listened other than a few friends. One time, one of our friends brought a huge doobie and it got smoked in the bathroom up there, which was right next door to the Howler office. The Howler office had somebody in it for some reason and they complained to whoever headed up the radio station. We were called into the office later that week, confronted, denied it, but lost our show anyway.

For what it's worth, I was innocent, but my co-host was not (in fact, I'm pretty sure he was stoned when we had to report to the radio station and face the allegations). There were still plenty of shenanigans going on up there that merited firing, though.

Frankly, I've always been surprised you wanted to go to wake at all, ELC. Seems like the vibes of a Big12 school would have been a better fit. Guessing you went to wake for the academics?

Frankly, I've always been surprised you wanted to go to wake at all, ELC. Seems like the vibes of a Big12 school would have been a better fit. Guessing you went to wake for the academics?

Correct. I think the only Big XII school I applied to was Texas (actually, I think Colorado too-- and Texas was SWC at the time, CU was Big 8), and it was because my dad somehow finagled Texas residency being in the military. Texas, while a good school, wasn't as good then as it is now (it may be harder to get into now than Wake), and I never would've gone anyway because I loved OU, which I didn't apply to. I was always going to go to the best school that accepted me, and that was Wake. Duke and Davidson told me to go eat a bag of dicks. JMU was where I was going to go if Wake didn't take me. Probably a good thing Wake took me, as JMU's academic ranking took a hit that year-- it went from 4th best regional school (Wake was #1) to 11th. I had done a campus tour the summer before and was elated. I really felt like that was the place I wanted to be the minute I stepped foot on the quad. I had toured Vandy too and got the exact opposite vibe so I didn't even apply.

Nido builds a new "academic" building each year. It can't be too hard.

Correct. I think the only Big XII school I applied to was Texas (actually, I think Colorado too-- and Texas was SWC at the time, CU was Big 8), and it was because my dad somehow finagled Texas residency being in the military. Texas, while a good school, wasn't as good then as it is now (it may be harder to get into now than Wake), and I never would've gone anyway because I loved OU, which I didn't apply to. I was always going to go to the best school that accepted me, and that was Wake. Duke and Davidson told me to go eat a bag of dicks. JMU was where I was going to go if Wake didn't take me. Probably a good thing Wake took me, as JMU's academic ranking took a hit that year-- it went from 4th best regional school (Wake was #1) to 11th. I had done a campus tour the summer before and was elated. I really felt like that was the place I wanted to be the minute I stepped foot on the quad. I had toured Vandy too and got the exact opposite vibe so I didn't even apply.
thanks for the explanation; makes sense!

Texas definitely not harder to get into than wake, but it is an elite research institution and probably a Top 5 public. Like Carolina, it's really tough to get in from a big high school and automatic if you're a good student at a smaller or underrepresented high school. "Top 6% Rule" definitely seems more fair than Carolina's quota system, whatever it is

Texas is very difficult to get into from out of state.

Back