• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL Wake-Cow College Game Thread

For a lot of years. This is absolutely right, and Wellman was implicit in this
I'm not going to bore y'all by reprising my long ago post about hiring a .500 coach, but it still applies.

Your darn right Wellman and whole administrations us was implicit in it. You know everybody thinks since we got the Deacon Tower, which was in the works prior to 2006 by the way, and the video board (our existing board was on its last leg) that Grobe was getting the support he needed to keep us winning. The truth is Grobe, Wellman, and the entire administration did not do what was needed to capitalize on on the ACC title and run of success. Instead of saying " hey we've got an opportunity here to do things to keep this going," they decided let's keep the status quo and hope we can keep getting lower rated recruits that end up turning into Arron Curry's, Alphonso Smith's, Kenny Moore's, and Riley Skinner's. Shockingly (sarcasm) that didn't happen. There's no excuse for Grobe getting as lazy as he did, but the blame doesn't entirely rest on Grobe.

You can count the number of in home recruiting visits Grobe made in the last 5 years on one hand. I am a big Jim Grobe fan, but he quit on us. He alone is the reason our roster is devoid of high caliber talent.

There is pretty much zero chance Clawson can do worse than Grobe did over the last few years. And it's highly unlikely we will ever experience a season like 2006 again. Grobe's early seasons were marked by consistency (hardly ever blown out) and competitiveness. He lost that in the final few years. Our fans and program deserve better than the half assed effort we got from Grobe at the end of his run here.

You, being a mod, might find it much easier to run down my post about hiring .500 coaches, and what one should do with them when they threaten to leave.

Your point about the early seasons is well taken. That's exactly what I heard from my people who were in attendance.

I didn't even see a question from you. What was it?

And I don't have to make excuses for Jim Grobe. He is the best thing that ever happened to WF football. He was voted National Coach of the Year, for Christ sakes.....at mother-fucking Wake Forest!!!

WF football was horseshit for 50 years before Grobe got here...and it will more than likely return to being horseshit for 50 years after he left.

I must be really depressed, because this is exactly what I was thinking when I woke up this morning. Still like Clawson, but afraid it may be 2016 until things swing back to positive.

I must be really depressed, because this is exactly what I was thinking when I woke up this morning. Still like Clawson, but afraid it may be 2016 until things swing back to positive.

At least 2016 because Coach Clawson has to entirely restock a completely bare cupboard that has no experience at offensive lineman, running back, quarterback, wide receiver and many other key positions. And just think that next year some of our main line key defensive people will be gone: Merrill Noel, Kevin Johnson, Anthony Wooding, Johnny Garcia. The following year we lose Chubb, Floyd, Ramsey, Williams and Harris off the defense plus a few offensive lineman. So getting some great classes in here is key and getting them strong and big in quick fashion is even better.

Lets remember that we have to give Coach Clawson a lot of time and to be patient. He was not stocked like Coach Grobe found it when Jim Caldwell left.

Grobe left the program in much worse condition than he got it. People were reluctant to believe it over the last several years.

Back