• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake Forest vs. Ferrum College Game Thread

TC was all over the place. He looked much faster and athletic, but he was pretty sloppy with the ball and confused on defense. He also seemed too concerned with his own points, rather than getting the team into offensive sets.

Agreed with this completely. There were a couple of possessions here and there where he looked like the best player on the floor. And then there were chunks of minutes where he looked lost on offense and lazy on defense. I'm not sure what to expect from him at all. At his best, he looks like a more athletic Ish. He was just so rarely at his best tonight.

Carson has made solid improvements to his game; He rebounded his area consistently, played hard defense and made great passes. I was disappointed with his lack of aggressiveness and scoring. If he can't post up and score consistently on Ferrum, when will he?

That's pretty much spot-on, but I do disagree with the post-up complaint. I think that's less an indictment of his own ability and more a representation of our offensive gameplan. It looks like we're going to go ahead and fully embrace a motion offense-- Carson posting up isn't part of that gameplan. He's not being asked to do it, and he's frankly usually the #3 or #4 scoring option when he's on the floor. I was impressed with his rebounding and defensive efforts tonight, and he made the two best passes in the game (there was a solid no-look to a wide open Fields, who missed a three). But to criticize him for not doing something he wasn't asked or expected to do within the gameplan anyway is stupid.

That all being said, I do wish the gameplan involved Carson in the paint more. When he did get opportunities there, he looked inconsistent but promising. One of my favorite buckets of the night was the Fields floater-pass to Carson underneath the bucket... I don't think he's a lost cause as an offensive big man by any means, as long as we understand that he's a face up big that's still learning to use his size.

Anthony Fields looked like a good PG (as I hoped and expected); He played fast, but under control. He made good passes, and got the team into their sets quickly. He looked good when he drove to the basket, even making a nice spin move before getting blocked into the stands. Anthony's game is very similar to Ish's as a freshman, but with a slightly better shot. He should definitely compete with TC for minutes as the season progresses, unless TC improves significantly.

Fields might've been the 2nd best player for Wake tonight, only behind McKie. I was really, really impressed. Amazing passer, maybe a tick faster than TC, and showed a decent shot. I'm trying to hedge my enthusiasm here... he was really good. I'm expecting a little bit of inconsistency, but he ran the offense freakishly well.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the reports, guys. The Fields/Ish comparison is what most excites me. I was kind of assuming he'd be a non-factor this year. Having legit competition for the PG spot can only be a good thing.

Thanks for all the reports, guys. The Fields/Ish comparison is what most excites me. I was kind of assuming he'd be a non-factor this year. Having legit competition for the PG spot can only be a good thing.

He was all over the floor. Kind of like the Tasmanian Devil out there. Reminds me a lot of freshman Ish.

Chris Paul replied to one of my tweets last night!! :woot

Fields had that kind of production in just 15 minutes of play, compared to the others who played a lot longer? Another week or two of that, the starting pg competition is going to be brief.

I thought Chennault appeared as if he was making improvements. He looked faster, stronger, and his defense was admirable. I liked the intensity I saw from the team. They seem like much more of a together unit. They may not have the talent or the depth, but if they play hard and keep improving then that's all you can ask for.

Also: lol at the "fanatic sucks a fatty" tag. Jamesda3, you mad.

One other thing that I forgot to mention last night, with regards to Carson's offensive play: While he wasn't asked to post up much, I noticed he was setting some pretty fantastic picks on almost every possession. There were a couple moving screens that he won't get away with down the road, but for the most part, he showed a real willingness to make himself a working part both on offense and defense.

I agree that the whole team showed a lot of intensity (weirdly, the one player who I thought looked blah out there in terms of effort was CJ). If they can put in this much energy and willingness to play hard against D3 Ferrum, I'm excited to see how they get up for big games down the road.

One last point- the box score surprised me. Did not realize Travis got a 23/16, or that Carson ended up with a 10/10. For the most part, the box score matches the reports here. For example: TC had 6 turnovers and just 2 assists in 18 minutes.

As far as Carson's inside game, it didn't seem like the sets we ran aided him in that regard - how many times were he and the 4 out at the arc? Way too much.

Good gravy Red Sox, get off Carsons nuts. The guy played decent at best against a team who's biggest player was 6'5, 220. If Carson was the player you make him out to be he wouldn't be the 4th or 5th scoring option on the floor at all times. David Weaver was a bigger offensive threat.

The greyhounds have good size, depth and experience relative to the Metro-Atlantic. I think I will hold off making any comments at this point except that Randolph is an excellent analyst. He and Ish were a real treat. Loyola will likely be very competitive with us.

Ish was involved as well?

Definitely worried about our offense after last night.

Yes, Ish and Randolph had a running conversation most the second half. Great stories didn't realize that Ish and AFA are like brothers. Randolph told his Nba team he wanted out of his contract if he wasn't going to play much. He wanted to go to Europe and play and compete. He didn't want to sit on the bench. Randolph made some great points during the game. If ESPN needs a good analyst he's their guy.

Yes, Ish and Randolph had a running conversation most the second half. Great stories didn't realize that Ish and AFA are like brothers. Randolph told his Nba team he wanted out of his contract if he wasn't going to play much. He wanted to go to Europe and play and compete. He didn't want to sit on the bench. Randolph made some great points during the game. If ESPN needs a good analyst he's their guy.

Advice to Ish?

Randolph said they he has been wanting to come to Wake for years and would have gladly quit playing in Europe to come here. He told Ron they needed to make it happen because he had so many injuries he couldn't play anymore. He literally can't believe the reception he has received since returning. After hearing his insights on the game I think he also would make a great coach.

Ish heaped praise on Rick Adelman and how much he helped him at Houston. He said the Grizz had improved his shooting and he wanted to start playing and show off his new jump shot. He seemed very confident about his NBA future.

Back