• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake- Red Raider Game Thread

Do you watch the video board during our football games? If not, there is a game where you have to follow the moving helmets to guess under which the prize is located once the helmets stop moving (eg, the shell game). It's a good representation of what we have here with this staff and AD.

We fired a coach because of poor post-season performance. Hired a guy who had NEVER won an NCAA tournament game. Keep up now.... here we go!

Then, our AD decides it's really not a post-season issue, it's a "culture issue" but he's staying out of things.

Then, the AD holds a kangaroo-court press conference and talks about tennis. Following the helmet here?

Then, the AD decides he does need to be involved and does multiple post-games rambling about John Wooden and socks. Apparently, we need to wear our socks better as part of the culture change.

Then, we apparently have a coach who says he has some bad apples and some of these apples transfer to USC and Oregon. On your feet Deacon fans!

Then, we are young because all of the bad apples are gone but now we are coachable and no longer need those AAU thugs with their handlers weighing our program down.

Now, to the end of this game and guess under which shell our AD and coach are hiding? Is it (1) Post-Season failures (2) Culture or (3) Incompetence?

YOU make the call Deacon Fans!

:bowdown:

Just because REggie bush and OJ Mayo are gone doesn't mean that USC has standards.

Do you watch the video board during our football games? If not, there is a game where you have to follow the moving helmets to guess under which the prize is located once the helmets stop moving (eg, the shell game). It's a good representation of what we have here with this staff and AD.

We fired a coach because of poor post-season performance. Hired a guy who had NEVER won an NCAA tournament game. Keep up now.... here we go!

Then, our AD decides it's really not a post-season issue, it's a "culture issue" but he's staying out of things.

Then, the AD holds a kangaroo-court press conference and talks about tennis. Following the helmet here?

Then, the AD decides he does need to be involved and does multiple post-games rambling about John Wooden and socks. Apparently, we need to wear our socks better as part of the culture change.

Then, we apparently have a coach who says he has some bad apples and some of these apples transfer to USC and Oregon. On your feet Deacon fans!

Then, we are young because all of the bad apples are gone but now we are coachable and no longer need those AAU thugs with their handlers weighing our program down.

Now, to the end of this game and guess under which shell our AD and coach are hiding? Is it (1) Post-Season failures (2) Culture or (3) Incompetence?

YOU make the call Deacon Fans!

A late entry for post of the year.

Very well done.

I don't think anything JTT did over a year after Dino was fired had anything to do with "culture" while Dino was the head coach.

For the record, I'm still not entirely convinced what Dan Collins alluded to wasn't a factor in Dino's firing. That would make sense, just as it would make sense for all parties involved to deny that story till their deathbeds.

I mean, I agree in a sense. JTT drunk driving a year after Dino left probably means he liked Dino and was unhappy with [Redacted]. The fact that he would drive drunk and took cheap shots on the court tell me he was a struggle as far as character goes, however all kinds of great coaches take far more problematic kids out of high school and turn them into professionals. I think K does that, I think Roy does that, I think Prosser did that.

I don't think [Redacted] does that. He wants his kinds of kids, end of story. I think it's hard not to see that Dino not only recruited questionable kids but didn't put in the discipline needed to avoid stuff like theft, sex scandals (say what you will about the girl, those players should never have been in that situation the night before an NCAA tourney game), drunk driving, honor code violations, etc. If Dino did other stuff as Dan perhaps alluded to, it's just more evidence of his lack of control.

But [Redacted]'s system isn't doomed to fail. Heck, Bobby Knight would kick a kid out of the building if he didn't say yes sir, no sir. He would NEVER suffer an Ari Stewart. And spare me the "Bzdelike shouldn't either" stuff - the man had to field a team. This team has less talent this year but would beat the living crap out of last year's team. That means something, as does the class we have coming in. Not sure how anyone couldn't be excited about the quality of players and personalities we have coming in.

I wanted to see improvement this year, I'm seeing it. I wanted to see a good recruiting class next year, it's on the way. 2012 and 2013 seasons should be back to legit Wake basketball. If they're not, hopefully [Redacted] is a stepping stone to a big name coach. If they are, hopefully the same thing applies but after a few more years.

I'm excited about next year's class as I can now allow myself to get excited about any class. I've been burned getting my hopes up on recruits too many times for me to really allow myself to get terribly excited about another one. I now take the "let's see what they do on the college court" for at least a game before I allow my mind to go into delusions of grandeur.

I don't think Bz will ever take our program to the level we expect it to be and will almost certainly have to be let go after the end of next season. If we don't fire him next year, we're going to be in the position of having to give him a contract extension so he's not hamstrung on the recruiting trail.

With that said, I'm amazed at how much turmoil this program has gone through over the last few years and people want to deny that we have a culture problem. We've had rumors of everything from inapprobriate contact with agents when we had talent, to rumors of our head coach catting around, rumors of players selling drugs, fights with fraternities, recruits being charged with felonies, raping band members, allegations of covering up said rape being aired on National Television, recruiting a kid with character issues that turn around break his baby moma's spine once he gets here, stealing from other students, DWI's, drug use, and on and on.

Bz will be a failure, but our program is in the worst shape that I could have ever imagined going beyond our piss poor wins and losses record.

Culture problem yet we didn't clean house?

Rings hollow.

To the moron who negrepped me about my "low expectations".

What I have is realistic expectations for last year and this year. The level and depth of talent wee have does not make it possible ot win. It's just that simple.

Starting next year we need to at least be on the bubble or in The Dance or he should be gone and I've said this many times. Even if the haters don't pay attention.

If we can plug in two good players in the Calss of 2013, there's no reason not to expect a Sweet 16 in 2014.

No, that's not my ceiling for our program. As I've said hundreds of times, you get to the Sweet 16 and then it's a crapshoot determined by your draw.

I mean, I agree in a sense. JTT drunk driving a year after Dino left probably means he liked Dino and was unhappy with [Redacted]. The fact that he would drive drunk and took cheap shots on the court tell me he was a struggle as far as character goes, however all kinds of great coaches take far more problematic kids out of high school and turn them into professionals. I think K does that, I think Roy does that, I think Prosser did that.

Let's not forget that it wasn't just JTTs DWI, he was also arrested for underage drinking in Greensboro a week or two before he got the DWI. That's two strikes in less than a month.

I don't think Bz will ever take our program to the level we expect it to be and will almost certainly have to be let go after the end of next season. If we don't fire him next year, we're going to be in the position of having to give him a contract extension so he's not hamstrung on the recruiting trail.

October 15th, 2009. Dino Gaudio given a contract extension by Ron Wellman. http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2009/oct/15/gaudios-contract-extended-ar-162106/

"I think he's deserving of it," Wellman said. "His first two years were, I think, symbolic of what he can do for our program and with our program. He's done a good job in all phases of the program. If you look at the academic performance of our team, the athletic performance of our team, the recruitment, then he's done a good job in all areas.

"I just felt that he needed that security of an extension of the contract. We've been working on it this summer quite a bit, and I'm pleased we came to an agreement."

Wellman said that he and Gaudio have discussed ways to make the Deacons more competitive in the postseason.

"We certainly talked about postseason and the importance of it and how that has evolved into the most important part of the season, and the regular season has been diminished somewhat over the last decade or so," Wellman said. "Dino has good thoughts about how we need to improve in that area, and obviously that has been a weakness the last couple of years.

"But it wasn't such a concern that I didn't want to go forward with the commitment to him because, again, overall I just feel he has done a superb job in a very difficult situation. And I see a very bright future for our program with him at the helm."

March 18, 2010. Dino Gaudio wins a post season game for the first time at Wake Forest, which is an improvement of NOT winning in the post season.

April 7, 2010. Dino Gaudio fired as head coach by Ron Wellman, just under 6 months after having his contract extended by 2 years by Ron Wellman.

"This was not a snap decision. It was not a snap judgment," said Wellman
"This was not a decision based upon a one-year performance," he added. "We can put up with a disappointment. We have disappointments all the time. But there is a pattern here that needed to be addressed, a 3-year pattern that needed to be addressed."
But Wellman acknowledged that "there is a buyout clause in the contract and that will be honored, most definitely."

"Six months ago, I was convinced that we were going to perform better at the end of the season," Wellman said. "That did not happen."

With that said, I'm amazed at how much turmoil this program has gone through over the last few years and people want to deny that we have a culture problem. We've had rumors of everything from inapprobriate contact with agents when we had talent, to rumors of our head coach catting around, rumors of players selling drugs, fights with fraternities, recruits being charged with felonies, raping band members, allegations of covering up said rape being aired on National Television, recruiting a kid with character issues that turn around break his baby moma's spine once he gets here, stealing from other students, DWI's, drug use, and on and on.

I've got a lot of problems with your post:

rumors of everything from inapprobriate contact with agents when we had talent
rumors that start and end with our message board

to rumors of our head coach catting around
rumor starts and end with our message board

rumors of players selling drugs,
another rumor that starts with message board

fights with fraternities,
only about 15 guys, mostly football players, like 5 years ago

recruits being charged with felonies
Stealing an Ipod?

raping band members
alleged

allegations of covering up said rape being aired on National Television
redundant, already mentioned rape

recruiting a kid with character issues that turn around break his baby moma's spine once he gets here
Tony Woods character was never questioned in his recruiting, and the incident remains in doubt

stealing from other students
You already mentioned felonies

DWI's
only one, but valid point,
drug use,
Who was this? JTT? We already mentioned him
and on and on.
yada yada yada

With how much has really happened in the last couple of years, I'm surprised that someone could actually exaggerate about it.

Last edited:
Did anybody make it through Wake without doing drugs, fighting, and trying to bang?

Culture problem yet we didn't clean house?

Rings hollow.

Yeah, Dino was not the lone gunman in this case. Even Battle, Rusty and Walt were on staff and of course Wellman was in charge when all these socalled misfits were admitted. It is very hard to find a successful HC that will come in and keep the current staff in place. There are a lot of questions raised that as outsiders we don't have the answers to but there is plenty of blame to go around.

To the moron who negrepped me about my "low expectations".

What I have is realistic expectations for last year and this year. The level and depth of talent wee have does not make it possible ot win. It's just that simple.

Starting next year we need to at least be on the bubble or in The Dance or he should be gone and I've said this many times. Even if the haters don't pay attention.

If we can plug in two good players in the Calss of 2013, there's no reason not to expect a Sweet 16 in 2014.

No, that's not my ceiling for our program. As I've said hundreds of times, you get to the Sweet 16 and then it's a crapshoot determined by your draw.

While less willing to excuse this year's performance, I actually agree with most of this.

Yeah, that sounds about right,rj. However, the poor performance vs. ASU should not be repeated or all bets are off.

October 15th, 2009. Dino Gaudio given a contract extension by Ron Wellman. http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2009/oct/15/gaudios-contract-extended-ar-162106/

"I think he's deserving of it," Wellman said. "His first two years were, I think, symbolic of what he can do for our program and with our program. He's done a good job in all phases of the program. If you look at the academic performance of our team, the athletic performance of our team, the recruitment, then he's done a good job in all areas.

"I just felt that he needed that security of an extension of the contract. We've been working on it this summer quite a bit, and I'm pleased we came to an agreement."

Wellman said that he and Gaudio have discussed ways to make the Deacons more competitive in the postseason.

"We certainly talked about postseason and the importance of it and how that has evolved into the most important part of the season, and the regular season has been diminished somewhat over the last decade or so," Wellman said. "Dino has good thoughts about how we need to improve in that area, and obviously that has been a weakness the last couple of years.

"But it wasn't such a concern that I didn't want to go forward with the commitment to him because, again, overall I just feel he has done a superb job in a very difficult situation. And I see a very bright future for our program with him at the helm."

March 18, 2010. Dino Gaudio wins a post season game for the first time at Wake Forest, which is an improvement of NOT winning in the post season.

April 7, 2010. Dino Gaudio fired as head coach by Ron Wellman, just under 6 months after having his contract extended by 2 years by Ron Wellman.

"This was not a snap decision. It was not a snap judgment," said Wellman
"This was not a decision based upon a one-year performance," he added. "We can put up with a disappointment. We have disappointments all the time. But there is a pattern here that needed to be addressed, a 3-year pattern that needed to be addressed."
But Wellman acknowledged that "there is a buyout clause in the contract and that will be honored, most definitely."

"Six months ago, I was convinced that we were going to perform better at the end of the season," Wellman said. "That did not happen."

I feel like throwing up after reading this.

:sick:

Back