• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL Wake-Syracuse Game Thread

The sack that caused the interception was not Smith's fault.

Let's not kid ourselves. The coaching staff is not doing a perfect job this season. But Clawson has a system that has worked at 3 previous stops. Each school had 2 good seasons in the first 4 years. We are recruiting at a level above what Wake has done in the past.

So chill the fuck out.

I will do exactly that once I see some evidence that he is bringing in players who are superior to the collection of horseshit that we currently have.

As I said, I am willing to give him some time.

Last edited:
I recently interviewed a guy who went to Richmond.
We started talking football and Clawson.
His comments were something like......You're going to love him. Give him some time, but he will definitely turn things around.
I think we should adopt the same mindset. We're not going to win the conference this year of next, but we could expect to get significantly better after that.

I recently interviewed a guy who went to Richmond.
We started talking football and Clawson.
His comments were something like......You're going to love him. Give him some time, but he will definitely turn things around.
I think we should adopt the same mindset. We're not going to win the conference this year of next, but we could expect to get significantly better after that.

I lived in Richmond while Clawson was here. I guess there is something about the bolded part that Sig dick can't grasp.

0 for two.

Reading through this thread is comical, you dim-wits already calling for Clawson's head. I've told you dumbasses and told you dumbasses that Wake Forest will never consistently or even occassionally compete with the big boy of college football. What Jim Grobe did here by winning a ACC title was a fluke, a miraculous occurrence that may happen once a century or so. Expecting any coach to come in here and have any kind of real success in a power 5 conference is a piped dream. I've been watching Wake Forest football for 80 years and it is the same now as it was then. Get over it you capitalist punks!

talked with a guy at Saturday's game who played for Clawson at Fordham for 4 years starting with the 0-11 season. he made the point that this offense is definitely not what they ran back then and that we should expect to see it change quite a bit as Clawson gets his own players in. he is certain that by year 3 we will have a real program in place and be competitive in the conference.

my own comment...our sole goal on offense should be to ensure that Wolford does not get shell shocked and become useless by his junior year...kind of like David Carr did playing for the Texans. I really couldn't care less if we set offensive ineptitude records this year. With the exception of Wolford, I don't think any other starters on this year's O will be playing major roles in the 2016 season. I hope I am wrong and the current young OL show a ton of development between now and then but it better be dramatic for us to win. We aren't going to win any titles next year no matter how good of a coach Clawson is.

Serigne will be in the two deep going forward. Terry probably will as well. That's about it.

Yeah but think it's very likely we will bring in two RBs better than him. TE is strong but I think Serigne will be able to beat out two of Pike, Bargas, and Bo going forward. Also, we may start two TE given that looks to be our deepest position going forward.

I highly doubt we will recruit 10 OL better than Terry. He will be somewhere.

Yeah but think it's very likely we will bring in two RBs better than him. TE is strong but I think Serigne will be able to beat out two of Pike, Bargas, and Bo going forward. Also, we may start two TE given that looks to be our deepest position going forward.

I highly doubt we will recruit 10 OL better than Terry. He will be somewhere.

Looks like we will almost certainly run a lot of twin TE sets. I still think Wortham's better than he's looked behind this line. I've watched him a lot at games, and he runs downhill well, makes efficient cuts, blocks well (when he doesn't blow his assignment like rookies do), and seems fairly durable.

That being said, I always hope we recruit better players.

Last edited:
I admit I don't follow fball recruiting as much as some. Do we know for certain Archibald is being recruited as a TE and not DE, or is that still somewhat up in the air?

I admit I don't follow fball recruiting as much as some. Do we know for certain Archibald is being recruited as a TE and not DE, or is that still somewhat up in the air?

Why can't he play both? Last night when they interviewed Peyton Manning he was talking about all the players that had the TD passes record before him. He said Sammy Baugh had it first, but Baugh also led the league in interceptions made (not thrown) and punting average as he played d-back and punter in addition to playing QB. These guys today are so soft!:thumbsup:

Could be. Both are positions Clawson has recruited well in terms of depth and talent.

Could be. Both are positions Clawson has recruited well in terms of depth and talent.

To me the real bright spot this year, as hard as they are to find, is the d-line. We've got a quality starting d-line and a little bit of depth I feel. At DT you've got Lewinson and Rodney behind Banks and Harris, all of which will be back next year. At DE, you've got Floyd and Ejiofor backing up Allen and Dunn and we only lose Ziggy next year. Plus we got another true frosh DT in Yarbary and at least a few other DE's to provide depth next year. Keep in mind we lost Johnny Garcia before the season even started and he was a projected starter, although I wonder if would've started over Banks or Harris as both have played really well.

Edited to add: The young TE's and kicking game have been the other bright spots I feel. Too bad the offense is a black hole that sucks up the few bright spots.

"Now that you are seeing the early differences between Grobe and Clawson, do you still disagree with the notion that Wake should have a floor of 6 wins and 5 in a down year?"

2 wins and 5 losses seem to have killed whatever optimism Ph had went he sent me this.

"Now that you are seeing the early differences between Grobe and Clawson, do you still disagree with the notion that Wake should have a floor of 6 wins and 5 in a down year?"

2 wins and 5 losses seem to have killed whatever optimism Ph had went he sent me this.

Maybe that's accurate once Clawson has a couple of years to establish himself here, but based on his track record you certainly wouldn't expect that in year 1 especially considering what he inherited. However, as much as I love Wake and believe we can be consistently competitive, I think we will always be susceptible to having a season every now and then where we win less than 5 games. Especially depending on how we schedule OOC. If we hit a year of high attrition from graduation or whatever and have to play a lot of young guys we will struggle. I've always said a Wake Forest team where a lot of young players are asked to play, is probably not going to be a very good Wake Forest team. Grobe's redshirting system is still the right approach as a whole. Sure we hope to get recruits that are capable of coming right in and playing, but I just don't see us getting those types in meaningful numbers. I think Clawson is going to shift us back to redshirting the large majority of freshman.

Ask Tony Romo what the value of a good OL is. Once Claw gets the OL straighten out, the running game will open up, the play action will be respected and our WRs can have the time to work their way open (even get deep behind the safety). I hope it happens this week, but I won't expect it til '16.

Realistically, Wake is probably two years away from just having an average offensive line. Right now we have one of the worst offenses ever. Against FBS teams we're averaging 176 yards a game.

I just don't get why it's surprising anyone. Didn't pretty much everyone have us pegged for 2 or 3 wins this season?

There's a massive difference between winning two or three games and being the worst rush offense since at least 2000 in the entire FBS division. That means we've been outrushed by every single team every single year for the past 14 years. No power five team should ever have that record unless they just refuse to run or throw the football.

Back