• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake v. FSU game thread.

Lol at criticizing the field goal when a throw one foot lower to Cam at the end would have been a touchdown.

Love that this team won't quit. FSU needed a handful of stupidly lucky plays - the tipped ball their tight end caught that should have been an INT, the pick they threw where our guys almost collided and neither caught it, the missed facemask, the fumble call... Even the 95 yard run had our own guy bumping their RB away from the last tackler or it doesn't go.

The improvement week to week in this team is really impressive. That doesn't happen without coaches and players busting their asses to prepare. They deserve a lot of credit, not bullshit hindsight.
For the record, I also stated that the offense played amazing well and that the improvement is impressive. I just didn't care for that call. I just think you go for the TD.

Yeah, count me on the side of going for it as well. If you pick it up, you've got 1st and goal from the 5. Not a terrible decision, but I'd have gone for it.

So forward pass or fumble?

I think if it had been ruled a fumble on the field, it would've stayed a fumble. Looked like his arm was hit before going forward. Can't believe we've played 20 quarters of football so far and haven't gotten a single turnover.

I think if it had been ruled a fumble on the field, it would've stayed a fumble. Looked like his arm was hit before going forward. Can't believe we've played 20 quarters of football so far and haven't gotten a single turnover.
His arm was definitely in motion but it looked like the ball dropped straight down.

Yep, considering our terrible turnover margin, we have played quite competitively so far.

His arm was definitely in motion but it looked like the ball dropped straight down.

It was in motion but it was hit before going forward and I don't think he had control of the ball at that point. Close either way.

even if you make the first, you may not have time for the other 4 things to occur all in order. kicking it meant our kids knew they could keep fighting. don't convert on 4th or score the first td and they don't have a chance to fight at the end. thank goodness that our best fball minds are really on the sidelines.

In my mind you've got to have a TD and 4th and 1 at the 6 gives you the best chance of getting it, especially against a good defense. Needing to drive 30 or 40 yards to get in field goal range is a lot easier than having to drive 70 to score a touchdown with time running out. A lot easier for the defense knowing they only have to keep you out of the zone as opposed to field goal range too. Yeah if you don't get it game over, but I think it gives you the best chance of getting it to overtime. Certainly not a cut and dry decision either way IMO.

Would've gone for it every time it was fourth and short today. We were such a long shot. Go for it. I mean you can argue the field goal gave us a chance to tie. But our true freshman qb threw a pick in the endzone. So what difference did it really make. Getting into field goal range at the end is much more likely than freshman qb leading drive and throwing td with time running out. I mean we probly lose either way but how the game ended is exactly why kicking the field goal is debatable.

You are so close to scoring a TD, and if you can get the 2 point attempt on your first possession, it eliminates the variability to your 2nd possession.

I would have gone for it but Clawsen got what he wanted, the 3 and the ball back with a chance to tie. Can't argue with that.

I gotta say, I'm starting to get on Team Hinton. I had some serious questions about Hinton's arm strength after last week, but after this week I don't have those same questions. Last week he was putting up a weird delivery and unless he had all day to get his feet under him his throws (which by default were all short to intermediate) were super weak and came out too low/slow (being short, he needs a higher/faster release). I had to go to an early dinner (pregnant wife...I've learned there is no arguing over anything) so i didn't see the final 10 minutes of game play, but I was pretty impressed with Hinton (considering his inexperience). He still missed a few intermediate throws (15-25 yards), but his release and "arm strength" seem to be better (which is to say it's not great, but adequate). I don't know what happened to our offensive line. I mean we were able to run forwards for the first time in several years and against a supposedly good defense....maybe they gave Hinton too much credit (either way, that's what a running threat at QB can do), but it was nice to at least get 2-4 yards on first down instead of 0 to -1. Our O-Line being just "adequate" (like they played today) makes us a top 50 football team....maybe FSU just sucked ass and we played out of our mind, but I don't think that was the case (at least as far as FSU sucking ass), so I have to give the Clawson Admin some credit.

I didn't see the last interception, but Hinton had two throws to get away from sacks that were bad decisions...they weren't picked off, but easily could've been...that's my biggest knock on Hinton today

Last edited:
I would have gone for it but Clawsen got what he wanted, the 3 and the ball back with a chance to tie. Can't argue with that.

of course you can argue with that. do you want to win or extend the game and hope for a tie?

of course you can argue with that. do you want to win or extend the game and hope for a tie?

"Conventional wisdom" is to play for a tie at home and an outright win in regulation on the road. Not sure that applies in this particular circumstance, but that is what Clawson did by electing to kick the field goal instead of going for the fourth down conversion.

Two back to back games in which we didn't quit when we were down. Can't say that about the last few years of Grobe. I love the direction this team is going. Also have to be honest..... I LOVE SEEING CLAWSON GOING BALLISTIC ON THE REFS!

Yeah, you can tell there is a new sheriff in town. This guy is gonna win a lot of games.

Back