• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Week 10 NFL Thread: San Diego Ballot Measure Got SMOKED

DeacHawk

Punishingly Intricate
Reaction score
Talk about week 10 here.

Coverage maps: http://506sports.com/

Bye weeks: Buffalo, Detroit, Indianapolis, Oakland

Sunday night might be special, with Seattle traveling to New England

I don't think that definitely means Chargers are going to LA. It certainly isn't good, but this was 100% the teams plan, and city didn't support it at all.

Spanos is waiting until after the season to discuss another plan. Which would be January? However, Chargers need to let the league know by January if they are going to LA. Timing is weird. Either Spanos has no intention of leaving, or no intention of staying. Who knows.

Is it guaranteed to be LA if they move? They're not considering Vegas?

Moving to LA will only be marginally more profitable for the Chargers than staying in SD. and that's only if they win. If they aren't good, their ratings will suck as will the outside revenues. It's one thing to suck as the only game in town. It's quite another to be fighting a hometown team for fans. It would taking being a consistent playoff for several years to even have more fans in LA than the Raiders.

By the way, I oppose any city building a stadium for an NFL team. The owners of NFL teams are usually opposed to welfare. Let them build their own stadiums. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars for a stadium the team will only use 8-12 times a year and won't be used for much else is stupid.

At least indoor arenas can be used for hockey, basketball and hundreds of other events every year.

Moving to LA will only be marginally more profitable for the Chargers than staying in SD. and that's only if they win. If they aren't good, their ratings will suck as will the outside revenues. It's one thing to suck as the only game in town. It's quite another to be fighting a hometown team for fans. It would taking being a consistent playoff for several years to even have more fans in LA than the Raiders.

By the way, I oppose any city building a stadium for an NFL team. The owners of NFL teams are usually opposed to welfare. Let them build their own stadiums. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars for a stadium the team will only use 8-12 times a year and won't be used for much else is stupid.

At least indoor arenas can be used for hockey, basketball and hundreds of other events every year.

The plan was decent. SD taxpayers weren't paying anything, unless they stayed in a downtown hotel. And it was going to be a stadium/convention center, and also build up a rough part of San Diego (If there is such a thing). Plus the league was throwing in some money, and Spanos was covering the rest. AS far as partially public funding goes for stadiums, I think it was a solid plan.

The plan for the old Mission Valley site was going to be taken over by SDSU, and was going to be pretty neat as well as a "West" campus site and Reduced stadium size.

I know Spanos does not want to be a tenant in Kroenke's stadium. Equal partner, (and Kroenke has no interest in that) or he'll do his own thing In LA, San Diego, or elsewhere.

City wants Spanos to stay at current spot and build stadium there. Spanos wants downtown. If Spanos agrees to stay put, City will jump on board to help him with new stadium.

Thanks for the updates, SDeacz. I hadn't followed this and just assumed LA was a done deal.

I'm actually really excited about the Vegas Raiders. It is too perfect. I will definitely be attending a game.

Cleveland just called a timeout before the first snap of the game.

Jerome Boger was stifling laughter as he announced it.

Football stadiums get used for other things all the time. Off the top of my head, in the last year Jacksonville hosted FL-GA, ND-Navy, TaxSlayer (Gator) Bowl, USMNT match, several musical festivals, community races, and some other things.

Yesterday, the city announced that last weekend's ND-Navy game had a $30MM impact on the city.

Those numbers include a lot of money that doesn't stay in the city. The staff at the local Hilton doesn't make a higher salary when big events come to town even though room rates go up and corporate pockets the difference. Also cities need to consider the extent to which closing businesses or taking away parking or rerouting traffic during events siphons economic activity from local businesses.

Cities need to make educated decisions instead of assumptions and blanket figures.

The city has a hotel room tax that goes directly into its pocket and that goes up and down with the rates of the rooms.

The Panthers just put together a 20 play drive that culminated in a...punt.

a3f5e51cfba68a0b03f4fd0b29b5a585.jpg

Does anyone in the NFC wanna be good?

Back