• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Officiating

TBR

Reaction score
Can't believe there hasn't been a thread about this. It didn't cost us the game, but it was really awful. Both unnecessary roughness calls were abysmal, particularly the one against Notre Dame, and the pass interference call against us was just absurd.

Anyone disagree? Sometimes it's hard to come to a reasonable opinion about this stuff when actually at the game.

the late hit/unnecessary roughness call on Notre Dame was the only call I thought was really terrible.

I think the PI call might have been alright actually, even though it sucked for us.

Watching on TV, the commentating was much worse than the officiating when it came to rules-related things. PBP guy would make up his mind on good call/bad ball/overturn after one view and then no matter what any other view showed he would say "see, this is what happened" when it clearly didn't. Noticed it most on the ND catch on the WF sideline where the guy got hurt and they reveiwed it.

When I heard the strong midwestern accent of the referee for the first time I knew we wouldn't be getting any favors in a game against Notre Dame.

Was the spot on third down at the end of the game as bad as it seemed. I was right on the 50 and I thought it was poor. Maybe replay showed differently?

I was there, and I thought the late hit call on Wake was completely warranted. It looked like a bad hit (or at least something that would unquestionably draw a flag) from where I was sitting.

The third down spot at the end looked terrible, though. I wish they could've reviewed that... It didn't even look close, really.

Can't believe there hasn't been a thread about this. It didn't cost us the game, but it was really awful. Both unnecessary roughness calls were abysmal, particularly the one against Notre Dame, and the pass interference call against us was just absurd.

Anyone disagree? Sometimes it's hard to come to a reasonable opinion about this stuff when actually at the game.

PI on Okoro against Floyd was completely legit. Okoro lost the ball, and jumped into Floyd.

I was there, and I thought the late hit call on Wake was completely warranted. It looked like a bad hit (or at least something that would unquestionably draw a flag) from where I was sitting.

The third down spot at the end looked terrible, though. I wish they could've reviewed that... It didn't even look close, really.

I thought it was a generous spot as well. Why couldn't we have reviewed it??

PI on Okoro against Floyd was completely legit. Okoro lost the ball, and jumped into Floyd.

And that's why I asked because from where I sat it didn't look like there was contact.

The pass interference that was bad was the one called on Notre dame. Ball was uncatchable(thrown 5 yards ob). Should have been holding instead.

anyone know the answer of the final 3rd down - why didn't we challenge? i thought it was a poor spot.

The pass interference that was bad was the one called on Notre dame. Ball was uncatchable(thrown 5 yards ob). Should have been holding instead.

And that was debatable since the contact may have come after the ball was thrown.

anyone know the answer of the final 3rd down - why didn't we challenge? i thought it was a poor spot.

You all were at the game right? If you DVR'd it go watch. It may not have been a perfect spot, but it wasn't anything replay would have changed. Officials were close, and it becomes a coinflip at that point.

You all were at the game right? If you DVR'd it go watch. It may not have been a perfect spot, but it wasn't anything replay would have changed. Officials were close, and it becomes a coinflip at that point.

thanks.

from the stands, there were a bunch of spots that looked iffy. i haven't watched the dvr yet.

Notre Dame has historically gotten many favorable calls, like Duke and UNC in BB, so that would not be anything unusual. It appeared the Personal foul against ND was for an extra hit downfield away from the tackle out of bounds to me.

The 3rd-down spot looked good to me. Not from the stadium of course, but I just watched the ESPN 3 replay. Got right across the line

What was the negative in not challenging the spot? We had 1 time out remaining that we used right after that play anyway. At the very least, it shows your players (& fans) that you believe in the effort they gave in stopping the RB instead of just rolling over & accepting the call. Replay may not have overturned it but there was nothing to lose by challenging the spot.

The spot that was so bad was the one where Noel flip the guy over and he landed on his head. He barely made it to the 45 and they spotted on the 40. The play was reviewed to see if his head came down in bounds before his feet landed out of bounds (it did), but the spot on the ball was a good 4 yards downfield. No way the player came anywhere close to that with the ball.

he actually caught the ball on the 41 but was in the air and then hit without being on the ground and landed between 44-45. interesting spot with forward progress determined by where he was in the air.

Notre Dame has historically gotten many favorable calls, like Duke and UNC in BB, so that would not be anything unusual. It appeared the Personal foul against ND was for an extra hit downfield away from the tackle out of bounds to me.

You apparently missed the 1991 Orange Bowl against Colorado when ND was called for a clip on what would have been a game winning punt return by Rocket Ismail (Mohammeden). Horrible call.

Go say 20 Hail Marys and 50 God Our Fathers in penance.

Back