• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OGBoards NBA Prop Contest- PROPS are back BABY!

Pretty good night of PROPS
First game: 3pt FGA went under by 2, Melo and Harden both had big games shooting over 50% (Melo slightly better), and DAwight's FTs kept him just over 50%
Second game: so close on high scorer (Bestbrook needed one more bucket to hit the over), Klay was getting his shot on, and the first quarter just hit the over on combined points.

Props don't always hit but we had a good night to follow them. Link below for stats. My goal was for the hit rate to be between 45-55% and so far we are at 48.9%. Good stuff, everyone. Long live the NBA.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlVhbRDmKdXIdFd2NkRSM1Zka0M5Y0R1VkpkTVZGcUE&usp=sharing

I've really enjoyed this so far. Thanks for putting this all together. Wish we had more participation, but I suspect we will pick it up as the season goes on.

I was all full of myself after my 3-0 in the first game, all of them tight.

Crashed back to earth with my 0-3 in the second game, all of them tight.

Well done, bmoney.

To win the contest is it total points? Percentage correct?

Percentage correct is probably the best measure, assuming the person has participated in at least half of the props. However, total points will likely show someone with HEART and GRIT and DETERMINATION as they realize the season is a grind but they still bring it on a daily basis. What would you think about reserving the last 4 weeks of the season as a playoff and maybe bringing in the top 6 point scorers and the top 2 hit percentage people that aren't in the top 6? I realize this is somewhat of a half-baked contest, but I do like the idea of having one winner and don't think that people that maybe miss a few weeks for whatever reason should be disqualified.

Percentage correct is probably the best measure, assuming the person has participated in at least half of the props. However, total points will likely show someone with HEART and GRIT and DETERMINATION as they realize the season is a grind but they still bring it on a daily basis. What would you think about reserving the last 4 weeks of the season as a playoff and maybe bringing in the top 6 point scorers and the top 2 hit percentage people that aren't in the top 6? I realize this is somewhat of a half-baked contest, but I do like the idea of having one winner and don't think that people that maybe miss a few weeks for whatever reason should be disqualified.

I am tied for first with Bluefish - on the total correct (Heart/Grit scale). Really enjoying this after poo pooing it before it started. Apologies.

I wouldn't expect anything less from a scrappy, 5-star heart gymrat like you, jaybone.

i like the playoffs idea.

also, i think you should be allowed a certain number of drops but after that it should be total points. so you could have some 0fers or non-participations without it hurting. If we are doing 8 a month (?) I say we can drop 1 for every month of the season or something like that.

a quick and early look at the state of some of the trends of season long props:

nets look like a worse than 3.5 seed.
kobe didnt play in october.
HOF is crushing the o/u 16.5 PER.
palma's favorite player JJ looking over on 14.5 ppg.
ant davis WAY over 32 mpg.
monta ellis WAY over .435 fg%.
jennings comfortably under .410 fg%.
j lin torching the 3 pt% prop with .465 on an o/u of .355
zeler only getting blocked .5 times a game.

That was my bad on the Jeremy Lin prop. One thing I didn't mention when I set that one was that Jeremy had huge splits between his 1st half and 2nd half 3pt% last year (.31 and .39 or something like that), and he had apparently been working with the Rockets' shooting coach as the season went on. I expected him to be around that .39 clip this season, but thought I could sucker some people into the under since Lin used to have the rep as a bad jump shooter.

i like the playoffs idea.

also, i think you should be allowed a certain number of drops but after that it should be total points. so you could have some 0fers or non-participations without it hurting. If we are doing 8 a month (?) I say we can drop 1 for every month of the season or something like that.

Okay, this is how it's going to work. It will be total points and your 10 lowest nights (either low scoring or not participated) will be dropped. With 5 weeks left in the season, the top 5 scorers will get automatic slots in the playoffs. The 7th and 8th team will be determined by a Bill Simmons inspired two week long "entertaining as hell" tournament with everyone that didn't get autoqualified which will include NBA props and possibly other ways of determining superiority (all basketball related). Then we'll do a standard week head to head (with built in tiebreakers) of 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc. until we have a champion.

Anyone not cool with that?

Okay, this is how it's going to work. It will be total points and your 10 lowest nights (either low scoring or not participated) will be dropped. With 5 weeks left in the season, the top 5 scorers will get automatic slots in the playoffs. The 7th and 8th team will be determined by a Bill Simmons inspired two week long "entertaining as hell" tournament with everyone that didn't get autoqualified which will include NBA props and possibly other ways of determining superiority (all basketball related). Then we'll do a standard week head to head (with built in tiebreakers) of 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc. until we have a champion.

Anyone not cool with that?

Sounds great. I'm in

Props for 11/21

LAC vs. OKC
Will Chris Paul have at least 18pts AND 10 Assists yes/no?
More missed shots Bestbrook or Durant?
Largest lead for either team O/U 12.5

CHI vs. DEN
Derrick Rose FG% O/U .401
More rebounds: Noah or Faried
Wilson Chandler steals: O/U 1.5

Sorry, I couldn't find much interesting about Chicago/Denver.

Props for 11/21

LAC vs. OKC

CHI vs. DEN

yes
bestbrook
under

under
noah
under

Props for 11/21

LAC vs. OKC

CHI vs. DEN

Yes
Bestbrook
Over

Under
Faried
Under

Props for 11/21

LAC vs. OKC

CHI vs. DEN

YES
BESTBROOK
UNDER

OVER
FARIED
UNDER (lamest one yet though! I would have done who scores more points Chandler or Butler?)

Props for 11/21

LAC vs. OKC

CHI vs. DEN

Yes
Westbrook
Over

Over
Noah
Over

No
Bestbrook
Over

Under
Faried
Under