• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ohio State Football NCAA Sanctions

Racer -- first of all, you've forgotten the NCAA's assistant-coach exception. Where asst coach hid the fraud/etc. from superiors and there's no evidence superiors knew... no punishment for that alone. Secondly... in all the allegations, there was never a cover-up like there was with OSU. The NCAA always comes down harder on cover-ups than they do actual violations.

We'll just have to wait another month... and we'll see what the NCAA has to say re UNC.

So, your interpretation of that phrasing in the rules is that if the assistant coach is up to no good, but the head coach doesn't know about it, the school can't be punished? :laugh::laugh: In that case, why would any head coach ever get involved in cheating? Sounds like you could simply let you assistants handle it and never worry about any sanctions from the NCAA.

Nevermind that the rules also state that "not knowing" is not a valid excuse for a head coach with regards to his assistants....

As for the "no coverup" part, I submit this: $75K paid to Blake as he is FIRED. Full contract paid to Butch as he is fired.

sounds like they got off pretty easy

Are you F-ing kidding me? NO ONE was expecting such a penalty. The issue wasn't a large one montearily and the person responsible for the cover up was dismissed. I feel like this was handled far more responsibly and smoothly than UNC, and yet their sanctions will be far less severe. Also, if Miami doesn't receive the death penalty based on this the NCAA is a complete joke. Actually the NCAA is a complete joke anyways, as they just bring the hammer down now on whatever cases they can actually find to to try to make the public think they are doing a decent job when they are missing thousands of egregious violations that go one throughout the country. I absolutely hate the NCAA and its role in college football.

sounds like they got off pretty easy

This.

Tarheel fans must either admit Butch knew or admit Butch is one of the dumbest people to ever walk the face of the earth. Those are really the only 2 realistic possibilities.

The problem is in the tOSU case there is concrete proof the coach knew the truth, did nothing, and then signed a certification saying there were no issues. While you can certainly look at the UNC situation and ask how it could be possible for Butch to not know, you don't have the concrete proof of the tOSU case.

The problem is in the tOSU case there is concrete proof the coach knew the truth, did nothing, and then signed a certification saying there were no issues. While you can certainly look at the UNC situation and ask how it could be possible for Butch to not know, you don't have the concrete proof of the tOSU case.

And the problem for UNC is that whether or not Butch knew is the least of their problems. The two cases have almost nothing in common.

And the problem for UNC is that whether or not Butch knew is the least of their problems. The two cases have almost nothing in common.

I disagree. The whole "institutional control" thing has always been the biggest issue for the NCAA, along with covering things up. There is no better way to show that than to show that someone high up knew and did nothing, or worse, covered it up.

Yeah, but how many times has the NCAA dealt with schools who had both an agent as a lead recruiter and an agent teaching classes in a department that was rubber stamping athletes? This extends way beyond a head coach, into the athletic department, the tutoring department, and academics in general. I don't know that there is much precedent you can look to for UNC to judge how the NCAA is going to react.

butch is either a crook (knew and covered up), or a stupid motherfucker (had no idea).

heels fans (like uncbiz) are fine with either

Are you F-ing kidding me? NO ONE was expecting such a penalty. The issue wasn't a large one montearily and the person responsible for the cover up was dismissed. I feel like this was handled far more responsibly and smoothly than UNC, and yet their sanctions will be far less severe. Also, if Miami doesn't receive the death penalty based on this the NCAA is a complete joke. Actually the NCAA is a complete joke anyways, as they just bring the hammer down now on whatever cases they can actually find to to try to make the public think they are doing a decent job when they are missing thousands of egregious violations that go one throughout the country. I absolutely hate the NCAA and its role in college football.

i can't tell if you're joking or not

Really? I guess I missed the evidence -- direct or otherwise -- showing or even suggesting our head coach actively covered up violations and failed to notify the NCAA of said violations.

The charges against UNC are far worse than tOSU based upon the NCAA's levying of them, so I don't really know what the point of this post is.

I'll stick with my prediction from the beginning of football season for their punishment:

3 year bowl ban
Between 5-10 suspensions a year for five years

Back