• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Old Fashioned recipe - give me your best

ellisat2

Reaction score
I love Old Fashioneds. Making them tomorrow when we have people over. Give me your best recipe (brands included) and your procedure to make it.

Go.

Bulleit Rye
Toss in a sugar cube, a cherry, and an orange slice into an old fashioned glass. Add 4 dashes of bitters and muddle. Add ice then Bourbon. Seltzer/Club Soda.

Muddle chunk of orange peel in glass with 1/2 oz of simple syrup. Add ice and 4 shakes of Angostura bitters. Stir. Add 3-4 oz of bourbon (I keep Woodford) and more ice. Stir well. Garnish with cherry. Drink. Bone.

Muddle chunk of orange peel in glass with 1/2 oz of simple syrup. Add ice and 4 shakes of Angostura bitters. Stir. Add 3-4 oz of bourbon (I keep Woodford) and more ice. Stir well. Garnish with cherry. Drink. Bone.
That is pretty much my father's recipe, other than he added the bitters (and some maraschino cherry juice) to the muddle. You have to play with the mixture until you get the balance you want. He always said a properly made Old Fashioned would hit your sweet, sour and bitter taste buds equally.

mine is a little different but along the same lines:

add a sugar cube and the smallest splah of club soda possible. 4 dashes of agnostura bitters. drop in a maraschino cherry and muddle. add 3 ounces of bulleit rye. add ice. glaze the inside rim with an orange peel and drop the peel on top.

Yeah. I meant to muddle the peel not the slice. Whatever that dude made us in Philly was phenomenal.

That is pretty much my father's recipe, other than he added the bitters (and some maraschino cherry juice) to the muddle. You have to play with the mixture until you get the balance you want. He always said a properly made Old Fashioned would hit your sweet, sour and bitter taste buds equally.

Actually, you're right -- I muddle the orange peel with the simple syrup AND the bitters. I've played around with the orange, muddling just the peel (no flesh) and also muddling peel + flesh. Just depends on how you feel about bits of orange pulp in your drink. I've also added cherry juice from time to time and put varying amounts of simple syrup. As long as the drink has a healthy amount of bourbon, you won't go wrong. :cool:

Why make an old fashioned with rye when you can just make a sazerac? Old fashioned should be strictly bourbon.

mine is a little different but along the same lines:

add a sugar cube and the smallest splah of club soda possible. 4 dashes of agnostura bitters. drop in a maraschino cherry and muddle. add 3 ounces of bulleit rye. add ice. glaze the inside rim with an orange peel and drop the peel on top.

I'm between these recipes usually. Usually leave out the cherry and stick with orange peel only.

I'm between these recipes usually. Usually leave out the cherry and stick with orange peel only.

It's rare that I put a cherry in anything, and I almost never put one in my manhattans. I tried to make my own earlier this year with maraschino liquor and that was a steaming pile of fail.

Agree no muddling. Raw sugar if you have it, or just simple syrup. Good but not elite bourbon. Usually do two types of bitters, maybe angostura and regans. No rocks except for chilling the glass and tossing. Flamed orange peel.

Isn't muddled what happens after you drink too many old fashioneds not before?

Back