• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Old gold and black scrimmage tonight

It did happen. Was a full gym...saw at least 10-12 recruits there, I only recogniZed Giles, but there was 7-8 together, maybe on a visit, I dunno.

Gold team started with Madison, CMM, G-Mc, Greek, and DT...Black team started with Wilbekin, Hudson (who's a twig), Overton, Rountree, and Leonard.

Gold subbed in walkons, and black subbed Washington and Watson with walkons.

Scrimmage was less sloppy than the girls, but there were a few highlights.

Madison seemed really aggressive driving to the basket, had a nice up and under layup that I dunno how it went in. Also fed Codi for a nice alleyoop.

Both teams were running pick and rolls quite often, with the gold team executing better. Madison and Greek connected with a pick and pop from the corner for a 3 for the Greek. (Think that was his only shot)

Gold team really worked the ball around to get the best shot while the black team did more chucking.

Black team: Miles had a few threes, and Leonard had a few baskets including a three, but the freshman guards were a bit underwhelming. I think Wilbekin was the most composed and Watson and Hudson missed their threes, may have been nerves. Hudson is a string bean, but was aggressive and seemed pretty athletic in his drives, even if he didn't finish them. I think Washington missed his only shot, a dunk. He does look stronger but I didn't see much difference in his development since last season.

Devin was Devin, Codi was Codi (been working out), Rountree was Rountree.

Of the shooting guards, (after Codi), I'd say Miles had the best showing, then Hudson and Watson. I think Wilbekin was a bit nervy but I think he will be solid.

Didn't really get much from McClinton, kinda forgot he was out there but in warmups, he looked freakishly athletic with a lot of bounce.

Based on that performance and nothing else, I can see jones and Codi starting, Devin, either Greek or Leonard, and the 3 spot would be the question mark.

I'm sure I've left some things out...I'll try to respond to any comments or questions...I know there had to be other posters there...but whatever

thanks for the review; I've been anxious to hear a report like this one.

Wilbekin was smaller than I envisioned. Leonard has nice ACC quality size/frame. He should be equal replacement for Motto. He has much better height for the position. Didn't see enough of Greek but the one 3. He may prove to be equal to Tyler by ACC play....think of a bigger framed and more muscular Ricky Peral. Thought it a little weird no one cheered during cheerleaders' time. They had a great performance IMO....dancers too, lots of energy and bounce, unlike past halftime choreograph shows we've usually seen.

Brief video up on Wake sports. Looks like a fun time.

Wilbekin was smaller than I envisioned. Leonard has nice ACC quality size/frame. He should be equal replacement for Motto. He has much better height for the position. Didn't see enough of Greek but the one 3. He may prove to be equal to Tyler by ACC play....think of a bigger framed and more muscular Ricky Peral. Thought it a little weird no one cheered during cheerleaders' time. They had a great performance IMO....dancers too, lots of energy and bounce, unlike past halftime choreograph shows we've usually seen.

Leonard - not sold until I see him play a real game.

Love the Greek.

Leonard - not sold until I see him play a real game.

Love the Greek.

So you're not sold on the guy that's already played four years of NCAA basketball but you're excited for the random Greek guy that no one knows anything about?

So you're not sold on the guy that's already played four years of NCAA basketball but you're excited for the random Greek guy that no one knows anything about?

That's not a shocking opinion..

I hope Leonard can infuse the team with a sense of urgency.

Yes. The 4-year guy was coming off the bench for Campbell at the end of last year (not injured, just not starting). Tempering my excitement for him, until I see more.

Yes. The 4-year guy was coming off the bench for Campbell at the end of last year (not injured, just not starting). Tempering my excitement for him, until I see more.

I mean no one is saying he's a stud, but we pretty much know what we're getting

Similarly to Coron being more or less who we thought he'd be considering his career at Robert Morris.

I mean no one is saying he's a stud, but we pretty much know what we're getting

Yeah, I think you answered your own question there.

People tend to get excited more about the unknown when they can let their imaginations run wild.

Back