• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Old Salem

tobbs3eb

Reaction score
Went as a field trip way back in grade school but haven't been since I moved to winston a few years back. The ladyfriend is interested in going. Worth spending half a day at for people in their 20's or is it geared to kids/old people?

Yes, absolutely. I took my girlfriend who's from outside of NC and she loved it. She knew nothing of Moravian people and it kept her interested. Make sure you visit (re-visit?) the bakery and cemetery. I would recommend going to the Tavern but I didn't have time to go so go there anyway. I've heard it's really good.

I feel like it is one of those things everyone who lives in Winston should do at least once.

I feel like it is one of those things everyone who lives in Winston should do at least once.

This.
And be sure to walk thru Gods Acre and Salem College (whose landscaping rivals Wake's for beauty). A short drive out to Bethabara and a walk up the hill to the God's Acre there is woth the trip.

If you care about old furniture, MESDA (Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts) has the best collection of southern pre-Civil-War furniture in the country. Make sure you allow time to go on the tour.

Back