• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Old Town GC (NWT)

blackngold35

Reaction score
Somehow I have found my way into a group that's playing at Old Town on Sunday. I'm around a 9 handicap - any words of wisdom for playing the course?

Have not played there since they reworked it a little but it was as good as any course in NC at the time I played it. Every list of best courses in NC has it in the top 10. With a 9 handicap you should be fine and should enjoy your experience. Look out for the rarity in this area of the double green which Old Town has one.

As a member at OTC, my best advice is simply to be prepared for uneven lies for your approach shots. On Sunday the greens were rolling 11.5 on the Stimpmeter.

Played there today and yesterday. What kind of advice are you looking for?

The greens are very fast. I'm around a 6-8 handicap and shot 84/82 yesterday/today. Enjoy it, it's a really good golf course.

Last edited:
Keeper is a member there, so I recommend playing somewhere else. Anywhere else. Putt-putt. Par 3. Anything.

Played there today and yesterday. What kind of advice are you looking for?

The greens are very fast. I'm around a 6-8 handicap and shot 84/82 yesterday/today. Enjoy it, it's a really good golf course.

just general stuff about the course - signature holes and stuff like that. i had heard the greens were really quick... didn't realize they were 11.5 quick.

just general stuff about the course - signature holes and stuff like that. i had heard the greens were really quick... didn't realize they were 11.5 quick.

18 is the best hole imo. Picturesque with the clubhouse behind it. The front nine is where you want to get birdies if you can, because the back is very difficult to get any chances at all. I normally play the blues, and would suggest that for a 9-10 handicapper.

For birdies I would look at holes: 2, 4, 8, 14, 17 (if you are a long hitter)

The double green on holes 8 and 17 is pretty cool. I'm sure the guys in your group will tell you this, but if you are a big hitter watch out for the creek on the first hole. I usually hit a 3-wood off the tee and can get in trouble because it is downhill (about 250ish I would guess).

Trying to think of some quirks about the greens. I would ask the people that have played in your group before about any lengthy putt you may have because they are pretty deceptive. Especially 3 (if the pin is on the right), 6 (breaks the opposite way you think), 7 (it's just a nightmare all around), 10 (can be a little tricky because of the ridge in the middle), and 16 (HUGE ridge in the middle).

Overall just enjoy yourself. I am biased because I have played it over 200 times (my parents are members), but it is definitely one of the top 10 courses in NC (imo).

Spend plenty of time on the putting green before your round. It is not quite as fast as the course, but it will give you a good idea of what you are in for. Nothing worse than somebody that just pounds balls to warm-up and then 4-jacks the first green (which is a tricky green in itself).

Just trust yourself on your approach shots. Aim away from the flag when you need to and don't get greedy. Aim for a score under 85 and play that way, you should be able to do it.

Anyone on here want to play on Friday? Doesn't have to be at old town. Just anywhere in the 336.

And for the OP, I've caddied out at OT many times, but never played. The only thing I've really learned is don't be old, as that tends to hurt your game. Really don't have any course tips.

Anyone on here want to play on Friday? Doesn't have to be at old town. Just anywhere in the 336.

And for the OP, I've caddied out at OT many times, but never played. The only thing I've really learned is don't be old, as that tends to hurt your game. Really don't have any course tips.

I can't really do this weekend at all (graduation) but I'd be down to play pretty much anytime for the rest of May in Winston.

where/when do you like to play?

I'm free any time man. I live on the northern tip of davidson county so really anywhere is a 15 minute drive for me. Been working an extra job this week so money isn't really a issue either. I would prefer morning over evening though since I have to umpire around 6 most nights.

Back