• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

Nah. The US had open borders in the 1800s. They want to freeze time in the 50s before the civil rights movement, sexual revolution, and women’s lib - back when everyone had a healthy mistrust of foreigners.

^This. In the 1950s less than 15% of all Americans belonged to a nonwhite minority group. By the 2010 Census, over 36% did. In that little data tidbit lies a good deal of the divisiveness and anger and resurgent nationalism and isolationism and xenophobia of today's America. And that's without mentioning all of the cultural and social changes and the sexual revolution.

open borders and the welfare state are incompatible

seems like even Democrats should be able to figure that out

This guy is totally brainwashed with lies. NO DEM running has stated they are for open borders.

Dishonest and moronic to lie so obviously.

But sailor loves him some corporate welfare state and closed borders!

Borders are, in general, incompatible with human nature. We were meant to be free. Thank you for coming to my Hippie TED Talk.

There’s a tweet going around reminding people that Marianne Williamson officiated Liz Taylor’s famous wedding in 1991. Never heard of her before this but she’s been around.

She's also a big time adviser to Oprah.

Listened to her Chapo Trap House interview, she came across as less out there in a platform where she wasn't concerned with just landing time-limit specific soundbites.

She had an interesting take on something I've always wondered, why the Boomers who grew up with Vietnam protests and Woodstock lost that vibe. Her theory was that witnessing the King and Kennedy (particularly Bobby) assassinations and the Kent State atrocity scared them into submission

Listened to her Chapo Trap House interview, she came across as less out there in a platform where she wasn't concerned with just landing time-limit specific soundbites.

She had an interesting take on something I've always wondered, why the Boomers who grew up with Vietnam protests and Woodstock lost that vibe. Her theory was that witnessing the King and Kennedy (particularly Bobby) assassinations and the Kent State atrocity scared them into submission

I just think it's wildly overstated how many people were protesting Vietnam and/or were Woodstock people. Over time, the music has become more popular, and Vietnam less popular, so more people from that era falsely claim they were part of it.

I just think it's wildly overstated how many people were protesting Vietnam and/or were Woodstock people. Over time, the music has become more popular, and Vietnam less popular, so more people from that era falsely claim they were part of it.

As King has become more venerated (and more whitewashed), more people also falsely claim they were saddened/deeply impacted by his death.

Borders are, in general, incompatible with human nature. We were meant to be free. Thank you for coming to my Hippie TED Talk.

With the ease of travel, business and the internet, borders are becoming more archaic by the year.

As King has become more venerated (and more whitewashed), more people also falsely claim they were saddened/deeply impacted by his death.

Good takes. This is why Mad Men was such an interesting show. My understanding of the 60s is formed by the experiences of southern black people. Seeing it through the eyes of white Republican elites was interesting. JFK was a national tragedy. MLK was just something on the radio.

I've read that less than 1 in 5 college students back then were active in the antiwar movement or participated in protests, and Bill Clinton once joked that if everyone was at Woodstock who claimed to have been there, there would have been something like 4 or 5 million people at the concert instead of the estimated 400,000.

I've read that less than 1 in 5 college students back then were active in the antiwar movement or participated in protests, and Bill Clinton once joked that if everyone was at Woodstock who claimed to have been there, there would have been something like 4 or 5 million people at the concert instead of the estimated 400,000.

That's a tough thing to figure out. Are you talking about 1 in 5 in 1966 or 1972? Are you talking about being in groups? Or attending a march? Or meeting.

That's a tough thing to figure out. Are you talking about 1 in 5 in 1966 or 1972? Are you talking about being in groups? Or attending a march? Or meeting.

It's mostly estimates, but what I've read is that less than 1 in 5 nationwide actively participated in antiwar protests or antiwar organizations. In some universities and colleges the figure was much higher, of course. I'm talking about national averages.

If you take the total number of students in colleges during the real Vietnam years (62-72), the number will be much less than 20%. If you take the numbers by year, in 70-72, that number could be close.

Back