• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

Yes believe he has blood cancer.

McHenry seems to be a little close to McCarthy personally where I think there would be some hesitation. But if you get outside of the closer knit folks around McCarthy do you think they would then support another bid for Speaker when they already had power as of 15 minutes ago?

The whole thing is just wildly bizarre. And yeah any takes out there from folks (media or otherwise) who say Democrats let the country down by not voting to "maintain institutions" or whatever garbage should immediately be discredited as a reasonable person.
Gaetz was asked about McHenry during his press gaggle after the vote and I can't remember exactly what he said, but my take on it was that McHenry was a hell no (not anything close to what he said, but I definitely got that feeling).

I haven't seen much of Maria Salazar but she seems like an absolute moron.

ETA: Anderson Cooper absolutely roasting her and McCarthy this is hilarious. She mentioned Pelosi and he said "well this didn't happen under Pelosi so I don't know why you'd bring her up." She responded "well I don't need to tell you why Pelosi didn't have these issues McCarthy did." He just immediately fires back "what, competence?" and smiled. Lol I mean come on

I mean even if he makes serious concessions to the folks who just voted to remove him, I don't see a path forward. Gaetz got him out, why would he ever let him back in?

ETA: Anderson Cooper absolutely roasting her and McCarthy this is hilarious. She mentioned Pelosi and he said "well this didn't happen under Pelosi so I don't know why you'd bring her up." She responded "well I don't need to tell you why Pelosi didn't have these issues McCarthy did." He just immediately fires back "what, competence?" and smiled. Lol I mean come on
I've seen Republicans claim that they're an intellectually diverse party unlike the Democrats who were under the thumb of Pelosi. Not sure if that's the point she was trying to make but it's a hilarious one nonetheless.

I get so frustrated watching CNN, but I fucking love Anderson Cooper. Him calling Trump an obese turtle on his back flailing in the hot sun during the 2020 election coverage was a particular highlight.

I get so frustrated watching CNN, but I fucking love Anderson Cooper. Him calling Trump an obese turtle on his back flailing in the hot sun during the 2020 election coverage was a particular highlight.
Yes, I also think he's one of the best mainstream interviewers out there (not as good as Stewart or Hasan or I guess even Jonathan Swan)

I agree with the notion that if the far far right is forcing McCarthy out, it seems like they would be unlikely to put in someone more moderate. However, aside from this one band-aid for the government shutdown, McCarthy hasn't done anything for the Dems anyway and has shown he is not trustworthy. So, if you have someone working against your interests 99% of the time, why does it matter how far away they are from your position? Unless they bring in someone that is literally going to burn it all down from the speaker's chair.

Jayapal with what I think is the best way to handle this for the Democrats. Said this is never the Democrats responsibility to bail out the Republicans when the GOP holds the majority in the House. Tapper asked if she could imagine a world where Democrats decide to help out a "moderate" Republican to be the Speaker if they get concessions in power sharing and she responded with "if we're going to be reaching across the aisle then maybe five of those so-called moderates can just vote with our united side and elect Speaker Jeffries. We have our Speaker."

to me, it appears as if you (and others) are taking on this stance to refuse to acknowledge that the house Republican majority has any leverage, because they don’t really want a shutdown. You’re playing chicken. I think that’s dumb. I think Democrats are far more concerned about a shutdown. So this notion that no matter who is speaker, the house Republicans will ultimately vote to prevent a shutdown, is extremely naive.
I am not delusional. I think there are a lot of Pubs that actually want a shutdown. I think they want to disrupt governance. What I’m saying is, McCarthy is not managing those crazy pubs effectively so what does it matter who is in charge. Plus, I think chaos in the GOP is a good thing come November 24.

Also I think the tone in your post is shitty. Using words like dumb and naive to describe other people’s opinion is dumb. Unless it’s Angus, that guy is legit dumb.

So basically eight Republicans removed McCarthy, and he could still be reinstated. This kinda feels like a publicity stunt for Gaetz's run for governor.

Dems could throw their weight behind a Brian Fitzpatrick nomination. Could they find 5 sane Republicans to back an actual moderate Republican? Frame it as an opportunity for Pubs to clean their ranks?

I am not delusional. I think there are a lot of Pubs that actually want a shutdown. I think they want to disrupt governance. What I’m saying is, McCarthy is not managing those crazy pubs effectively so what does it matter who is in charge. Plus, I think chaos in the GOP is a good thing come November 24.

Also I think the tone in your post is shitty. Using words like dumb and naive to describe other people’s opinion is dumb. Unless it’s Angus, that guy is legit dumb.
This.

Democrats should not help save anybody in the GOP...

Agree...unless/until one/some of them realize they’ve made huge and wildly dishonest and harmful choices in their politicking over time and at least begin to try and bring their party back towards sanity.

Dems could throw their weight behind a Brian Fitzpatrick nomination. Could they find 5 sane Republicans to back an actual moderate Republican? Frame it as an opportunity for Pubs to clean their ranks?
Not sure....are there actually any "moderate" Republicans in the House? That's not even a rhetorical question. Even the "moderates" have gone along with the far right agenda the GOP has been pushing through. I'm with Jayapal - this aint the Democrats problem. Either you five can show you're moderate and support Jeffries or y'all have fun sorting it out.

Agree...unless/until one/some of them realize they’ve made huge and wildly dishonest and harmful choices in their politicking over time and at least begin to try and bring their party back towards sanity.

IF such a thing happens, it won’t happen until after their state’s filing deadline for the Republican primary.

Yep…but somebody’s gotta push that way sometime, I hope (but not counting on it).

Is Fitzpatrick really a moderate? I can't figure him out given that he basically ran pretending to be his (incumbent) brother in 2016, and has just been trying hard to hold the bipartisan image since knowing that he's in a district that voted for Clinton/Biden. I have no idea what he actually believes. (Not that I've made much of an effort to try, tbh.)

Back