• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

I long for the day when I hear the name "Jacob Wohl" and my reaction is "who?"

The past few years have been illuminating about the depth of our American stupidity, but who tf could possibly see lil' Jakey's body of work and continue to be swindled by him and the rest of his triumvirate of idiocy. I'm happy to not remember the other dude's name, though I still have some brain cells holding Laura Loomer's.

Rep. Rob Bishop says Green New Deal is ‘tantamount to genocide’

After the news conference was over, Axios reporter Amy Harder pointed out that the term “genocide” refers to the deliberate mass murder of a particular national or ethnic group and asked Bishop how the Green New Deal fits that definition.

“I’m an ethnic,” Bishop said. “I’m a Westerner.”

“And you think the Green New Deal is going to kill you?” Harder asked.

“If you actually implement everything they want to,” Bishop replied. “Killing would be positive if you implement everything the Green New Deal actually wants to.”

How Trump’s Brand of Grievance Politics Roiled a Pennsylvania Campaign

But the most common reflection of Mr. Trump’s brand of grievance politics — and the reason Mr. Scavo’s loss was treated as an existential threat in that Old Forge banquet hall — was the pervasive belief that the country is being undermined by undeserving outsiders and the Democrats who represent them.

In conversations with Mr. Scavo and his all-white supporters, this was not a race-blind anxiety, but a conscious fear around what they see as the replacement of traditional, white American culture. The message was constantly amplified by ominous reporting and commentary from conservative, pro-Trump media outlets.

Bob Bolus, a 76-year-old local businessman in the trucking industry who owns semitrailers covered with pro-Trump and anti-Hillary Clinton paraphernalia, said Mr. Trump was a champion for white interests. Mr. Bolus voted for Barack Obama in 2008, but said he became enraged when Mr. Obama weighed in on issues of racial bias among law enforcement.

Mr. Obama “was prejudiced against white people,” Mr. Bolus said. “Trump has put the reins on the horse.”

Like others, he mentioned a 2009 incident in which Mr. Obama took issue with the police conduct in the arrest of the Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates, who is black. Mr. Bolus said it was a turning point in his personal politics.

The Dems are too weak to have an ad of Trump saying, "There are many fine people on both sides" with the crowd chanting "Sieg Heil", "Many Fine people"- then "white power"; "Many fine people" -"Jews will not replace us".

Republicans have been running on white paranoia (especially in rural and small-town areas) since at least 1968 (Nixon's "law and order" campaign). A half-century on, they've virtually perfected it. A great many whites are simply terrified of living in a nation in which people like them are not a clear majority of the population, and in control of most political, entertainment, and business leadership posts. They're afraid of becoming a minority, because they know damn well how most minorities in this country have historically been treated. Obama's two elections, and the visible growing diversity of the Democratic Party, was the final straw for many of them. It's now clear that they view the GOP as the "white man's party", and their last hope to keep things as they are, and have always been. In 2016 Trump was reported to have told a female supporter that unless he won, the America these people knew and had grown up in would be lost, and "we'll never get it back." It's what MAGA is all about, and it's also what the Florida woman in the news article a few months ago meant when she complained that Trump "wasn't hurting the right people."

The Trump generation is made up of white youth who saw the impact of Brown v. Board and lived through the civil rights movement. They’ve been fighting for the last 50+ years for the white America they were promised.

The Trump generation is made up of white youth who saw the impact of Brown v. Board and lived through the civil rights movement. They’ve been fighting for the last 50+ years for the white America they were promised.

My parents and nearly all of my older relatives are boomers, and to me it seems as if they're all stuck in a 1950s/early 1960s time warp. Many of them still watch old TV series like Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Waltons, etc. on a regular basis. They still listen mainly to the music they grew up with, and almost all of them have a powerful nostalgia for the past. Few of them seem to regard the future with much hope or optimism. The small towns they live in (I know all of them well), have downtown areas that still look like a 1950s movie or TV set, although they're now run down and mostly dead businesswise. Some of their nostalgia is simply that they're now old and long for the days when they were still young and energetic, but a good deal of it is a belief that things really were better in the past, including racial, gender, and cultural issues. Men and women "knew their places", blacks and other minorities were still subordinate and virtually invisible on television and in movies, and were just getting into sports, and gays, for all intents and purposes, didn't exist in a public sense. That's what these people long for, and it's why they cling to Trump so fiercely - they see him as their last chance of getting all of this back.

And that nostalgia isn’t going to die with them like nostalgia for the 1850s didn’t die with their ancestors.

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Embracing Trumpism/White Supremacy

Looks like they’re trying to reveal that a guy with the last name O’Rourke is Irish while trafficking ugly Irish stereotypes.

Did they post pictures of Harris and Booker eating fried chicken and watermelon for Black History Month?

Why would anyone be concerned about Beta [male] O'Dourke? He just needs to be properly defined to help voters see him accurately.

It's donkeys wanting to see him be nominated for POTUS, who should be worried.

Good god...please do yourself a favor and just stop with the jokes.

I would also love to see a summary of the number of DUIs members of the RNC have had over the years.

A summary of the number of felonies would be great too. Starting with its former finance chair Michael Cohen.

Back