• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Good grief, there’s some sad and absurd shit on that page.

The GOP is lost to the forces of evil.

Just stuff already well understood by anyone paying attention, yet needs to be said…

John Micek: Republicans' disdain for democracy

Who knew that America was filled with so many amateur social studies teachers?

Whenever I write about Republican-led efforts to sharply curtail voting rights (which disproportionately impact Black and brown voters who tend to support Democrats), I’ll often get a letter from aggrieved conservative readers who remind me, “John, you of all people should know we’re a republic and not a democracy.”

Strictly speaking, those readers are correct. We’re not a direct democracy. But the notes came with such startling regularity, that I had to ask myself: After decades of sending American forces around the world to spread and defend our very particular brand of democracy, what did conservatives suddenly have against it?

The answer came in the form of a November essay in The Atlantic by Claremont McKenna College political scientist George Thomas, who argued why the GOP’s sudden insistence on this semantic distinction is a “dangerous and wrong argument.”

“Enabling sustained minority rule at the national level is not a feature of our constitutional design, but a perversion of it,” Thomas argues, pointing to such Republicans as Sen. Mike Lee of Utah, who have been trotting out this corrosive chestnut as a way to justify the limited kind of political participation envisioned by the current incarnation of the GOP.

“The founding generation was deeply skeptical of what it called ‘pure’ democracy and defended the American experiment as ‘wholly republican,’” Thomas writes. “To take this as a rejection of democracy misses how the idea of government by the people, including both a democracy and a republic, was understood when the Constitution was drafted and ratified. It misses, too, how we understand the idea of democracy today.”…

… Republicans who wanted [want] to “make America great again” were looking back to a very specific and mythologized view of the country: One that preserved the rights and privileges of a white majority.

Conservatives like to have it both ways. On one hand, they claim that the Constitution established a multiracial democracy. It just needed a few more amendments to get there. So we already have a system in which everyone can participate if they want.

But they’ve also fought against every step of the way inclusive voting rights that make sure every American has and can use their right to vote.

I think the party is just about to get over their Trump hangover.

Uh huh.

I suspect the party's plans is just to have Trump locked up by the libdems (and quietly supporting doing so). That way they can not upset him, his base, nor have to deal with him in politics going forward. That's really the best possible result for the GOP.... Trump being locked up.

I suspect the party's plans is just to have Trump locked up by the libdems (and quietly supporting doing so). That way they can not upset him, his base, nor have to deal with him in politics going forward. That's really the best possible result for the GOP.... Trump being locked up.

Umm, no.

Have you checked to see what kind of people are taking power in local and state governments all over the country? That is trump’s true legacy. An army of vindictive, petty morons grifting and punishing their enemies at every level.

Trump may go away but trumpism will be here for a long, long time.

What’s fascist about it? It’s stupid, obviously, it I’m not sure what makes it fascist.

I assume the thought is Crenshaw and Cruz will use this to purge the leadership of the military of anyone who isn’t a right wing radical.

I'm not usually much for trolling, but this was rather amusing. Somebody sent multiple tweets to right-wingers like Dinesh D'Souza, Matt Gaetz, and Matt Schlapp discussing his "military veteran" grandfather whom he claimed admired said right-winger, and asked them post his photo. The photo is actually of Lee Harvey Oswald, and in all three cases Gaetz, D'Souza, and Schlapp (or the person running their twitter account) posted the photo of Oswald in his Marine uniform. Schlapp actually posted with the tweet "Wow it's my honor to retweet the photo of a veteran on a day we remember his fallen friends. God bless your grandfather!" Lolz.

Last edited:
Are people supposed to know that that’s a picture of Oswald? I would not have known.

Back