• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

lots of reasons to think Trump and his sycophants are weird but this seems fairly innocuous

I also saw more than a couple of reminders that he was a registered Republican. No mention of fundamental shifts on the political spectrum over the last 50 years, but who needs context?

Yeah, I know Republicans on social media who love to occasionally mention that it was the GOP that ended slavery, that MLK and other prominent African-Americans of many decades ago were Republican, and that it was Democrats who started the KKK and created Jim Crow (and, always, mention that Robert Byrd was once a member of the KKK, they love that one). What they conveniently and persistently ignore, though, is that the two political parties have almost entirely switched their civil rights views and voting bases over the last 50 or so years, and that this switch largely happened because, starting in the 1950s and 60s, white Southern Democrats - the very same people who brought us secession, slavery, the KKK, Jim Crow, and who fought the civil rights movement tooth and nail in the mid-twentieth century - switched to being almost entirely Southern Republicans today. And, the same is true of some conservative, blue-collar whites in the North and Midwest. For proof, just look at voting results from, say, the 1916 presidential election, and look at voting results from 2012 or 2016. The two parties have almost entirely switched the regions and bases that support them.

Yeah, I know Republicans on social media who love to occasionally mention that it was the GOP that ended slavery, that MLK and other prominent African-Americans of many decades ago were Republican, and that it was Democrats who started the KKK and created Jim Crow (and, always, mention that Robert Byrd was once a member of the KKK, they love that one). What they conveniently and persistently ignore, though, is that the two political parties have almost entirely switched their civil rights views and voting bases over the last 50 or so years, and that this switch largely happened because, starting in the 1950s and 60s, white Southern Democrats - the very same people who brought us secession, slavery, the KKK, Jim Crow, and who fought the civil rights movement tooth and nail in the mid-twentieth century - switched to being almost entirely Southern Republicans today. And, the same is true of some conservative, blue-collar whites in the North and Midwest. For proof, just look at voting results from, say, the 1916 presidential election, and look at voting results from 2012 or 2016. The two parties have almost entirely switched the regions and bases that support them.

I have explained this to my republican friends repeatedly and it is like they cannot hear anything you say.

I have explained this to my republican friends repeatedly and it is like they cannot hear anything you say.

So how do they reconcile being the "Party of Lincoln" with being the party who proudly flies the Confederate flag and honors Confederate soldiers?

The crazy thing is that this shift over the last 50 or so years isn't history. It has happened before our eyes. There are people who have witnessed this shift and benefited from this shift who don't understand it happened. The idea of a 70 year old white man from Mississippi claiming the Republican party is the party of civil rights is comical.

So how do they reconcile being the "Party of Lincoln" with being the party who proudly flies the Confederate flag and honors Confederate soldiers?

The crazy thing is that this shift over the last 50 or so years isn't history. It has happened before our eyes. There are people who have witnessed this shift and benefited from this shift who don't understand it happened. The idea of a 70 year old white man from Mississippi claiming the Republican party is the party of civil rights is comical.
It usually goes like this, I explain and they retort, yea well we are the party of Lincoln, and I say what about all the other stuff and they reply are you saying I or we are racists. I then throw up my hands and think How do I top that?

It usually goes like this, I explain and they retort, yea well we are the party of Lincoln, and I say what about all the other stuff and they reply are you saying I or we are racists. I then throw up my hands and think How do I top that?

So they Trump you with the race card.

If anyone had any doubts that orange and yellow starbursts were the best, Trump alleviated them.

Also, what is it with conservative cult leaders and their artificial fruit candy fetishes?

avalon, he was mean. How can a woman of Norwegian ancestry possibly know whether or not Norway is a predominantly white country? It's not like everyone would know or anything.

Give the poor lady a fair shake!

So Paul Ryan put together a carefully crafted bill to extend CHIP in order to force the Democrats into voting against CHIP to take a stand on the Dreamers, so the GOP could blame the government shutdown on the Democrats. It was going to a vote today, but El Presidente just called in an airstrike on Ryan's position via Twitter saying CHIP shouldn't be part of the deal. Paul Ryan has worked his whole life to get Pubs in charge of DC and now he has to deal with this orange idiot in the White House.

It is good that the President has no patience for silly political games.

So Paul Ryan put together a carefully crafted bill to extend CHIP in order to force the Democrats into voting against CHIP to take a stand on the Dreamers, so the GOP could blame the government shutdown on the Democrats. It was going to a vote today, but El Presidente just called in an airstrike on Ryan's position via Twitter saying CHIP shouldn't be part of the deal. Paul Ryan has worked his whole life to get Pubs in charge of DC and now he has to deal with this orange idiot in the White House.

lol

They literally said they didn't want to pass it by the end of last year because they wanted to tie it to something else. And the something else they landed on was a three week funding bill, cynically believing they could vilify Dems if they didn't support it. So gross.

But good for Trump for shutting that down! I wonder who got in his ear on that one.

Back