• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

More from Lindsey Graham: "if you don't like me because I'm so ridiculously good-looking, I don't give a shit."

Nice words, Ben Sasse. Now do something.

The larger issue for Sasse and for other Republicans who have from time to time taken issue with the president is their abject refusal to translate rhetoric into action. In legislation, in oversight and in the confirmation process, they routinely shrink from confrontation with the White House or their own leadership. Republicans do, after all, have the majorities in both houses and long ago could have voted to end child separation. They could, at any time, cease confirming judges or even refuse to go forward on any business until the wicked policy is ended.

Sasse, a former university president who holds a PhD in history from Yale, surely is familiar with the admonition, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil [or wicked, in his telling] is for good men to do nothing.” Speaking, posting and tweeting don’t count as “doing.” Unless Sasse starts doing, he is enabling.

Last edited:
The Lt Gov. of Utah (R) bringing the hurt as well...

I appreciate Steve Schmidt fighting the good fight, but could he not with this:

29 years and nine months ago I registered to vote and became a member of The Republican Party which was founded in 1854 to oppose slavery and stand for the dignity of human life. Today I renounce my membership in the Republican Party. It is fully the party of Trump.

If you joined 29 years ago, that's not the party you joined.

I appreciate Steve Schmidt fighting the good fight, but could he not with this:

If you joined 29 years ago, that's not the party you joined.

Right. He joined this party.

"Here's how I would quote that as a statistician or a political scientist, or no as a psychologist which I'm not, is...is how abstract you handle the race thing. In other words, you start out with, and now ya'll don't quote me now on this...i don't want... You start out in 1954 by saying nigger, nigger, nigger. By 1968, you can't say nigger. That hurts you, it backfires, so you say stuff like...uh forced-busing, states' rights, and all that stuff, and you getting so abstract now you're talking about cutting taxes, and all of these thing you talking about are totally economic things & the byproduct of them is blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it, I'm not saying that. But I'm saying, that if it is getting that abstract and that coded ...uh that we...we're doing away with the racial problem one way or the other...uh you follow me? 'cause obviously sitting around saying uh we want to cut taxes, we want to cut this, and we want- is much more abstract than even the busing thing. uh... and a hell of a lot more abstract than nigger, nigger, you know. So I- any way you look at it, race is coming on the back-burner."

Pretty much sums up about 1,000 pages worth of boards fodder. While each of those points are interesting, I think I've witnessed the "just world fallacy" the most. Not necessarily from a religious standpoint, but more so from attributing a circumstance to something you deem out of your control, thus submitting to it.

90% of the time, people who say things like "oh, they're just good at math" or "they're so lucky that X happened" are underestimating the amount of effort said person put in to be good at math, or to make X happen. Perhaps the person did enjoy math, so they worked on it for 3x longer than the other person did. But I constantly watch people dismiss the results of hard work and due diligence to some natural circumstance that is out of their control (not necessarily God). It's a broken mindset, and shows that a large swath of people have no idea what it takes to be truly good/great at something. It's how you end up confusing a guy like Donald Trump with someone who is genuinely successful. A former friend of mine from home epitomizes this mindset. After I finished reading Daymond John's book "The Power of Broke" I recommended it to him as a motivational tool that could help inspire him to start the auto shop he had always wanted. His response: "Oh, well I'm sure if I got affirmative action, I could start my business too." Never mind the fact that Daymond John never went to college, or received any type of preferential treatment at all, this guy's gut reaction was to instantly attribute success to a power out of his control. I see it all the time. If you need further proof that this truly is a fallacy, just read Malcolm Gladwell's book: "Outliers" where he disproves it with the majority of his examples being based around something that almost everyone correlates success with natural ability: Sports.

Last edited:
holy crap...that Lee atwater interview! Never heard that before, but yes, that is the the republican party in a nutshell post civil rights era. Party of Lincoln my ass. Its the party of racists who only care about white people. Its been that way for years and Trump has only blown the roof off the the racist foundation.

holy crap...that Lee atwater interview! Never heard that before, but yes, that is the the republican party in a nutshell post civil rights era. Party of Lincoln my ass. Its the party of racists who only care about white people. Its been that way for years and Trump has only blown the roof off the the racist foundation.

bkf prefers to call them "real Americans."

Back