• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

Mentioned it in the chat, but my team was as good as can be expected without going after multiple ties. Bringing in:

Nat Langford (1/1) - 6'4" Likely SG/SF - GFGEFF
Jerry Noah (CL) - 6'4" Likely SG - EGFEFF
Kadeem Stout (CL) - 6'3" Likely bSG - EFFGGF

Overall, this is my highest class at +13, topping last year by one. Looks like I have completely forgot to recruit any kind of defensive players and look like New York Knicks right now.

Overall I'm fairly disappointed with the 14/9 ranked +9 recruiting class. I'm in the situation that Warak had last season where I just don't understand being ranked so highly by the magazines. I'd put this class in the 30-50 range myself based on attributes.

Despite having 3 ties and 3 Clear leads, we somehow managed to sign a +2 walk on. We did however manage to beat out Philly for +4 7'1 Sang Vinci giving us a terrific front court.

Here are the new members of the Storm:

Terry Raymond 6'7 +3 - Raymond should help provide some scoring off the bench his FR season and with a little luck might blossom into a starter by his JR season.

Bobby Falzone 6'8 +2 - Someone's getting fired over Falzone. Boca's coaching staff wasn't even aware that Falzone was on the teams radar or that a scholorship had been offered. We had 3 CL and Falzone wasn't one of them...

Sang Vinci 7'1 +4 - The jewel of the class and the likely reason the magazines had us ranked so high, Vinci might find himself in the starting lineup sooner rather than later. The combination of Gonzalez, Truong and Vinci in the post could pose some serious challenges for teams. Vinci had 46 blocks his SR season in high school and 1.7 steals per contest.

The trio brings with it 38 ppg, 24 rbpg, 4.7 apg, 3.1 stpg and 121 blocks which is more than the entire Boca Raton team had last season. The nice thing about this class is that Boca has kept pace with Evansville in the arms race for bigs. C13's got a lot more height than it did my first 8 seasons.

Code:
Player		YR	Height	Gm	MPG	PPG	RPG	APG	FGM	FGA	3PM	3PA	FTM	FTA	STL	TO	BLK
Sang Vinci	Fr	7-1	27	31	13.6	8.8	1.6	147	306	2	17	71	102	1.7	0.6	46
Bobby Falzone	Fr	6-8	27	32	8.1	8.1	2.0	95	220	2	5	28	45	1.1	1.2	44
Terry Raymond	Fr	6-7	27	30	16.3	7.1	1.1	178	356	19	58	66	85	0.3	0.7	31

My team has a very different look than Boca squads of the past... Gone are the days of +1/+2 rebounding and defense.

I haven't finalized a starting lineup but here are the team (12 players) #s.
Shot +9, Def +12, Hands +9, Reb +13, Int +5, Ath +7

Here is Frankfort's recruiting and competition:

1 Kevin Hatton (1) 6/6 Decatur,Youngstown,Pierre,Oakland,Scottsdale,Flagstaff
2 Calvin Faulk (38) 2/2 Philadelphia, Louisville
3 Ronald Neal (21) 3/3 New Haven, Chattanooga, Albuquerque
4 Anthony Poteat 1/1 New Haven
5 Edrick Sweeney 1/1 Eugene
6 Michael Allen 0/0

Really need scoring SG and SF's from this class. Overdue to win a tie - only one tie on my team now, and he was a 1/1 (Marvin Haynes, a Jr). Bateman is my PG and Haynes is happier as bSF, I think; which will allow two freshmen to start at SG, SF next year with th the third at bSG. This is all assuming I don't take a walk-on, which could easily happen. I've really warmed to Anthony Poteat lately.

Won no ties...again. 108/91 class comes in only +9/-3. I hope I am trading scoring for defense, bc I certainly sacrificed defense. Everyone came in below projections - gulp! Great classes in Grand Rapids (6/6) and Waterloo 4/2 means I am not only slipping from league elite status, but within the conference as well. Been treading water with netter classes for quite a while, and really needed a max tie talent infusion. Oh, and Philly won TWO max ties for Calvin Faulk AND Henry Clark. And, Grand Rapids signed Timmy Hanson from r16 despite his Poor+ Local pref. He should have gone to Duluth, or really anywhere except GR. Lucky bastard.

Congrats to Deacons who got top classes: Evansville, Boca, Fargo, Cincy and defending champ Youngstown. Pass that ish to the left, mang.

Last edited:
Evansville landed a 10/3 class, and broke both of our top ties. I'm pretty ecstatic.

PF Sean Zambrano (2/2): Zambrano chose Evansville over two elite programs (Roswell and Flagstaff), and we couldn't be happier. He comes in at +6, and though I expected him to stay at E rebounding, he should start at PF from Day 1 as a GGFGEG player. He averaged 16/7 last year in HS, and had more than 1 steal and 1 block per game.

C Homer Davies (3/3): I wasn't really expecting to land Davies (I was planning on Chester Reilly coming here instead, though I preferred Davies), but he looks really good, and will be our starting C from the get go. He isn't the greatest rebounder, but he's GGFFGG, and he averaged 15/8 with really good defense last year. I'm excited about him, but if I ever land an elite center, he'll move to a backup role.

C Brad Gagel (CL): I spent most of last year surprised that a 6'10" surefire +4 could come in as a CL for me, but here he is. His defense is a little disappointing, but he's a stud rebounder, and he can score, too. He comes in as a GFFEGF, and will be in a timeshare with Davies to start out.

The team as a whole should be the best in Evansville's history. Our starting lineup is +26/-0, though the bench is still an abysmal +15/-5. We have some things to work on, but missing the NTT would leave me pretty disappointed this year.

Starting Lineup:
PG: John Lawson
SG: Willis Baker
SF: Monte Bueno
PF: Sean Zambrano
C: Homer Davies

Team Attributes:
SHT: +10
DEF: +4/-1
HND: +9/-1
REB: +7/-2
INT: +8
ATH: +3

Basically, we're great shooters, we take care of the ball, and we're smart as shit. Can't play defense to save our lives, though. That's going to be the focal point of recruiting this year.

Won no ties...again. 108/91 class comes in only +9/-3. I hope I am trading scoring for defense, bc I certainly sacrificed defense. Everyone came in below projections - gulp! Great classes in Grand Rapids (6/6) and Waterloo 4/2 means I am not only slipping from league elite status, but within the conference as well. Been treading water with netter classes for quite a while, and really needed a max tie talent infusion. Oh, and Philly won TWO max ties for Calvin Faulk AND Henry Clark. And, Grand Rapids signed Timmy Hanson from r16 despite his Poor+ Local pref. He should have gone to Duluth, or really anywhere except GR. Lucky bastard.

Congrats to Deacons who got top classes: Evansville, Boca, Fargo, and defending champ Youngstown. Pass that ish to the left, mang.

Freakin A. Hanson would have made this a good class instead of 77/205, my worst class ever. Who maxes a player who doesn't fit his local prefs?

Never thought i'd say this but i'm actually more optimistic about my L15 team than my L7 team.

Fortunately for my L7 team the recruiting around C32 looks pretty solid, so i'm going all in with this recruiting class. Haven't done a great job recruiting and building a net up recently, don't think i'm going to be lazy and let that happen again this season.

My class ended up being ranked 49/80. Not good, but definitely not as bad as it could have been. Ended up winning the tie on Bryon Passmore which was big for me. He comes in at GFEFFG. I need to get some scorers and a solid big man next year. Luckily my 3 players graduating at the end of this upcoming year are all garbage.

Freakin A. Hanson would have made this a good class instead of 77/205, my worst class ever. Who maxes a player who doesn't fit his local prefs?

For all the talk about how much I like my team that I could manage losing all my maxes, this is killing me. I need to shut up.

Any one of those maxes would have taken my squad to the next level. This is the first time I've brought in a class where I know none of them will start. If I hadn't taken a flier on Jamal Kelleher (GGFEFF) in my net, this class would be a complete joke. Here are the losers I'm saddled with for the next two seasons.

6-4 Chung Graff FFEPFF
6-2 Russell Spencer PFPFFG

Fargo brings in an 11/11 class, and while I feel like its a good group of players, I'm baffled they were rated so high - I would assume it's due mostly to Gardner but the cpu didn't even want to start him on a team that is not that talented nor that tall. Anyway, its a 13/-2 class that means we'll likely be starting 20/-2 with a bench of 11/-2. Certainly not a nationally competitive team but one that should battle w/ Denver for the c21 crown and a chance to get beat up in the NTT. The new Wheatshuckers

Ronnie Campos 6'3 +5 - he'll be starting at pg for the duration of the season.
Jim Gardner 7'3 +4/-1 - I'm hoping he's a 4 year starter at C though if I add more bigs his E hands may get him a look at SF.
Branden McDonald 6'11 +4/-1 - he'll compete w/ jr. Moshe Perales at PF, but is most likely to be a scorer off the bench.

Never thought i'd say this but i'm actually more optimistic about my L15 team than my L7 team.

it has been this way for me for a long time...recruiting in L7 has just beat the spirit out of me. i thought my recruiting class was going to come in better than 70/53, which i don't mind, but damn i can't win a fucking tie in this league. it is truly absurd!

it feels like such a waste of time trying to figure out who to max...can i at least have 1 won tie every 4 seasons? should i look for a new team?

The S70 cycle looks mostly shitty. There's not really any clear cut maxes for me like there have been in my first 4-5 cycles.

It's going to be awfully hard to turn down the giant max that will be Donald Burgess, though.

Season 70 Preview - Boca Raton

This may be the year for Boca to take a shot at an NTT championship. With the core of this team being seniors, it may be now or never. The +55/-0 squad has a ton of depth and defensive presence. The scary thing about the season 70 version of the Storm is that our defense should be better than last season's #16 ranked squad.

The only real loss from last year is 6'7 Leon Cochran who set the all time Boca career steals record with the biggest addition being 7'1 Sang Vinci who averaged 1.7 steals and 1.7 blocks per game as a SR in high school. Cochran averaged 1.1 steals during his Boca Career.

Now for the positional rundown:

PG: There has been a wealth of talent at the PG spot for Boca through the years but the combination of SR Mo Poisson and SO Jake Evans is the best duo ever in Boca Raton. Poisson will likely break into the Boca top 10 career scoring this season and Evan's should produce more than he did a season ago. The two should spit time again this season running the show.

SG: SR Erin Atkins broke into the top 10 scoring last season finishing at #7 just 10 pts shy of Noah Correy from season 38. Atkins trails local favorite Tony Salazar by 514 for #1 all time. If he can repeat the 530 points from a season ago he'll take the top spot. The biggest weakness on the squad is perhaps Atkin's backup with no clear favorite to take over the bSG spot.

SF: While some would argue that Bert Hutching's was the best SF to ever play for Boca Raton, a case could just as easily be made for SR Michael Gonzalez who is an exceptional defensive player that acts like a 2nd PG on the court. Gonzalez averaged 1.3 steals, 1.2 blocks and 3.5 assists last season. SO Blake Goodwin is the heir apparent at SF and likely would see more minutes on other squads. Goodwin should see more minutes this season as the coaching staff prepares for life without Gonzalez.

PF: The biggest question mark in this year's starting lineup is who will replace Cochran at PF. Initial projections have 6'10 JR Brice Truong sliding over to PF. In 2 seasons, Truong is averaging 7.5 rebounds, 1.1 assist, 1.4 blocks and 1.0 steals per game. He'll need to step up his 9.2 points per game this season.

C: FR Sang Vinci is 3 inches taller than Truong and just as much a monster with 1.7 blocks and 1.7 steals a game to go with his 8.8 rebounds as a senior in HS. If Vinci can bring those numbers to Boca opposing teams might decide to avoid the paint all together.

Best of the Rest: It's tough to say who will contribute more but this season's FR class brought in some height and plenty of depth for the post. 7'1 JR Fred Alves will likely get time at bC while 6'8 FR Bobby Falzone gets the early nod for bPF. The lone question mark is whether FR Terry Raymond or SO Brent Floyd will win the minutes at bSG.

it has been this way for me for a long time...recruiting in L7 has just beat the spirit out of me. i thought my recruiting class was going to come in better than 70/53, which i don't mind, but damn i can't win a fucking tie in this league. it is truly absurd!

it feels like such a waste of time trying to figure out who to max...can i at least have 1 won tie every 4 seasons? should i look for a new team?

Personally, and don't shoot me for my opinion, I think you guys got used to having it easy with winning maxes and having more talented clear leads. There is a lot more activity than there was when I first started in L7. Just look at the DeACCon challenge having 16 teams this cycle. I also think that the Deac coaches are a bit more meticulous about their recruiting than the average coaches which has made it tougher to get clear leads on the exceptional talent and guys who normally sneak into the cracks. Redsox has done a phenomenal job in his first 2 seasons and if he keeps up the pace, he'll be #1 based on mag ratings very soon. He's out recruited everyone the last 2 seasons. The addition of him and myself has taken a bite out of Dearborn's area while Pittsburgh & Rochester are in Flagstaff's area. I've always believed you need to assume #4,5 & 6 are what you're getting and I think you're starting to feel that crunch due to the increased amount of human players in your areas.

- my 2 cents

I think you're dead on. Several cycles ago, I recruited a 1/1 class of clear leads. Now I have to dumpster dive to get a clear lead max and I got lucky to win a 9/9 for Ruffin and lucky to get a +4 CL netter this cycle.

I'm not sure how to play it now. The "Skip" approach of going big and hoping to win ties is very risky and my old "Odom" approach of trying to get lightly recruited players who will jump to +4 in the right categories or +5 or better won't work because there are fewer clear leads out there. I had a 4/4, 3/3, 2/2, and 1/1 lined up and lost all of them. I'm still blown away by that. There was a 1% chance of that happening, actually less since I lost a player to a coach who didn't fit his local prefs.

I think you're dead on. Several cycles ago, I recruited a 1/1 class of clear leads. Now I have to dumpster dive to get a clear lead max and I got lucky to win a 9/9 for Ruffin and lucky to get a +4 CL netter this cycle.

I'm not sure how to play it now. The "Skip" approach of going big and hoping to win ties is very risky and my old "Odom" approach of trying to get lightly recruited players who will jump to +4 in the right categories or +5 or better won't work because there are fewer clear leads out there. I had a 4/4, 3/3, 2/2, and 1/1 lined up and lost all of them. I'm still blown away by that. There was a 1% chance of that happening, actually less since I lost a player to a coach who didn't fit his local prefs.

I think thats a really good way to break it down Ph. I had an incredibly talented team according to the mags after I landed what is now my juniors. As a result I got a little fat and lazy and took the "skip" approach and had 4 ties the last two cycles, and a smaller net, that really brought me nothing. I missed hit on two of my lesser maxes each of those classes and now i'm looking at a season where I might not win my conference for the first time in like 15 seasons along with having 3 players on my team for the next 3 years that are all NA caliber.

Been impressed by the time some of the newer guys have put into the analysis, will be interested to see how long that keeps up.

Also, Ph, I think you had roughly a 20% chance to bring none of those ties in, not a 1% chance.

@ stormfury

i can honestly say that i have never had luck bringing in max/ties...it just doesn't happen for me in this league. i can track back to S55 and i have never brought in a player over a 3/3 tie and i have never won 3 ties in one season...heck, i only won 2 once in S58 and i must say that they were both 1/1 ties and they were both local teams for N+ local players.

yes, the net has become more difficult but that is not really what i was referring to in my comments. i expect it will change, eventually, but until then it sucks when new coaches win 6/6, 3/3 and 1/1 in their first or second season...it just does.

thanks for listening...rant over. back to 500 basketball!

Back