• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

WOO HOO!!!!!

Carbondale broke what must have been at least a 20-something game losing streak against Frankfort by vanquishing the Deacon Blues in the Conference 18 Championship game 94-79. Bout damn time. Boyd Cason led us with 34 points. Shooting 8-15 from three as a team helped a great deal as did Frankfort having one of their poorer shooting efforts.

We enter the NTT as a 2 seed, which is interesting because given our undersized, high-scoring-bad-defense profile, my team reminds me of Missouri more than any other college team this season. I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we pulled a Missouri in the first round. I'd like at least a couple of wins to get us a Top 5 PR at the lock since Cyril Ross has an Exc+ win preference and Alex Whitmer is Fair +.

We're up against Seattle first. Their best win was over Rochester and their second best win this season was against a PR #107 team, though they did win their conference tourney. Even better, they're even more undersized than we are, so it appears to be a decent matchup for us. And, that should pretty effectively jinx us...

Also, I just noticed that there are only 3 top 10 PR teams with Top 115 strengths of schedule. I wonder if that will make for a tournament full of "upsets".

Last edited:
Guess who else is crashing the NTT? Rochester scored a 72-71 win last night for my first tourney championship and the honor of facing Kalamazoo in the 1-16 matchup. Ph just beat him... why not me?

If anyone has some free time this weekend, I went and made a bracket for the L7 NTT. Maybe we could have a prediction contest?

The bracket is located here. To make a prediction, you need an account on the site... But once you make an account, just click "Predict It" above the bracket.

Strong Showing for the Deacons!

NTT Season 70
As we've seen, several Deacons pulled upsets giving us 9 teams in the NTT field. The dream of an All Deacon Final is alive as we have Deacs in all 4 regions. Congrats to everyone who made the NTT. Let's give them hell!

Northwest
A bracket that has the #1 overall Fort Worth team also has the highest ranked Deacon in Carbondale. If both teams advance, Carbondale and Nashville would face off in the sweet 16.
2 - Carbondale
6 - Nashville

Southwest
The #4 ranked Kalamazoo squad leads this bracket with a tough road for Deacon coaches. First Rochester has to face off with the former #1 overall while Boca and Flagstaff would face off in the 2nd round if advancing.
3 - Boca Raton
6 - Flagstaff
16 - Rochester

Northeast
The #2 ranked San Francisco team could quickly face all 3 deacons with Pittsburgh trying to steal round 1, Perennial NTT Frankfort in the 2nd round and Dearborn in the sweet 16. 3 Strikes and the Deacs are out.
5 - Dearborn
8 - Frankfort
16 - Pittsburgh

Southeast
The lone deacon, Duluth pulled the conference championship and was rewarded with a pretty good NTT draw.
5 - Duluth

Interesting Notes:
- A struggling Philladelphia made the tournament after a solid conference tournament run. Has this team found their stride?
- 18-0 Jackson somehow landed as the 6 seed in the Southeast region, despite being the only team to defeat Boca a 3 seed. If I am to get revenge on the War Eagles, it would have to come in the Finals.
- Carbondale could play Frankfort in the NTT finals for their 4th matchup of the season.
- 6 of the 10 teams on Travis Howard made the NTT.

Boca Raton Storm 69
Evansville Rachelwoods 59

Boca wins C13 again, and I fall to 0-11 against the Storm.

Great game Redsox. I'm confident that you'll be dancing in the NTT next season.

As mentioned, Boca led by Erin Atkin's 23 captured their 12th conference 13 tournament championship. The victory puts Boca 1 tournament title ahead of Athens and Savanah for most all time in conference history.
http://simsports.sainio.org/wiki/index.php?title=L7_C13#Conference_13_Tournament_Championships

The victory also gave Boca their 10th Double (regular season & tournament) which puts them in a tie with Athens for most all time in conference history. Boca has pulled 7 doubles in a row now but Evansville's closed the gap significantly over the past 2 seasons.

Atkins, Gonzalez and Poisson embark on their final NTT title chase with a tough 2nd round draw.

1st up ) Panama City. The Penguins (13 - 5 ) ranked #54 have a solid SF in Myles Boynton who's averaging 22 ppg. Fortunately our best defensive player is at SF in Gonzalez and both Fultz and Woodward, their SO backcourt duo has allowed quite a bit of scoring.

2nd round) If the seeds play out, Boca would face off with Flagstaff again. This means either SR Rene Naquin and SR Erin Atkin's won't advance to the sweet 16. Both should be high 1st rounders, it's a shame they play so early. Flagstaff, as with most of the Deacon teams is never an easy win.

3rd round) Kissimmee is an interesting 2 seed, so if the seeds play out we'd face a cpu run team ranked #6 at 17-1. All 5 of their starters are averaging double digits, but their defense is really suspect. I actually doubt Kissemmee makes it this far. If I had to put money on it, I would guess the 10 seed Pierre makes it to the sweet 16. Stockton is 18-0 but outside of a win over #28 Miami, they've only played 105+ ranked teams. The win over Miami was by 1 pt. 15 seed Anaheim's wins look very comparable to Stockton

Just waiting for my team to be activated. Excited to join your guys league. Any suggestions on what to do first?

Fargo snags a #2 seed in the PTT, with what should be an eventful first couple games. In our first game we get an underrated Green Bay team who has suffered a number of very close losses. In the second we'll play either Jersey City, who if I think is PilotDeac's 2d team, or Madison, who we are in a tie with (along with a miserable comp team) for G+ Win Leonard Hernandez. While I'm disappointed to fall short of the NTT this season, at least we have something to play for through a few games.

Well this will be the 3rd year in a row that Pittsburgh locks up a 16 seed. One of these years were going to pull the upset....Just wait

Is there something to benching a player? I put senior SG Fritz Curran at bSG for the last two games of the regular season. He only averaged around 8 a game. I put him back at SG for the playoffs and here are his three games:
Little Rock - 7-11, 16 pts
Pueblo - 8-14, 18 pts
Kalamazoo - 9-12, 23 pts

So, L5 signing day was today. I lost two 1/1 ties, a 3/3 tie, and a 6/6 tie. Oh well. I had 2 CLs, and it was still a +14/-1 class (30/44), but I can't help being a little disappointed. I needed height, and got none.

Which brings me to my question: I need advice! I have 7 players that are 6'4" or shorter, and I don't know what I should do with my lineup. Here's how the CPU had it:

Code:
Tim McIntyre	 5'11"	Fr	EGGGGF
Kadeem Maldonado 6'5"	So	EGEGFF
Felix Chartrand	 6'6"	Sr	GGEFGF
Elgin Binkley	 6'8"	Jr	PGGGFG
Jorge Donaghy	 7'1"	So	PEFEFG

Harold Spikes	 6'0"	Sr	PGGEGP
George Pinto	 6'4"	Fr	FGGFEG
Rolando Ward	 6'4"	Jr	GFFGEG
Jonathan Burk	 6'4"	Fr	PFGFGG
Thomas Price	 7'1"	So	FGPEFG

Obviously, I want McIntyre, Maldonado, and Donaghy in the starting lineup. I thought I'd go McIntyre at SG, Maldonado at SF, and Donaghy at C. But that leaves Chartrand at PG, where I think Pinto might be a better natural fit. I also wanted Price at PF, as I think he's notably better than Binkley. I could go small with Chartrand at PF, though... Halp?

Just waiting for my team to be activated. Excited to join your guys league. Any suggestions on what to do first?

Yeah, first thing to do is evaluate your team. You're going to need to pull in 3 solid players next season and then 3 more the following season to build some depth most likely. Feel free to post your roster and we can take a look at it to help you determine what you have.

Is there something to benching a player? I put senior SG Fritz Curran at bSG for the last two games of the regular season. He only averaged around 8 a game. I put him back at SG for the playoffs and here are his three games:
Pueblo - 8-14, 18 pts
Kalamazoo - 9-12, 23 pts

I put Jake Evans on the bench for 2 games so Mo Poisson could play a couple games as starter to try and pad his numbers a bit, but Evans didn't have the resurgence you're seeing when he returned.
Asheville - 4-6, 9 pts 3 assists
Evansville - 2-4, 4 pts 3 assists, 2 blocks

Technically 3 assists per game is an improvement on his average of 2.3 but his points fell shy of his average 13.8.

Pueblo - 8-14, 18 pts
Kalamazoo - 9-12, 23 pts

Anecdotal evidence, but a similar thing happened when I returned Homer Davies to the starting lineup this year. Check out his per 30 numbers.

Code:
Pos	FGM	FGA	FG%	Rebs	Asts	Blks	Stls	TOs	Pts
C- 5G	3.4	6.2	0.538	7.4	1.0	1.7	1.0	1.7	9.1
bC- 4G	3.0	9.0	0.333	4.8	0.6	0.6	0.0	0.0	6.6
C- 12G	4.2	8.9	0.471	10.0	2.3	2.2	1.1	1.0	11.1

I could break up the 12 games in his return to the startling lineup to show that most of the improvement was immediate, but I think this is sufficient. There are obviously small sample size and selection bias concerns here, as his first starting stint came during DeACCon play.

Good luck in the post season tonight. Hope all the deacs advance!

This is what I've settled on for my L5 lineup:
Code:
PG   George Pinto	 6'4"	Fr	FGGFEG  Norm  1  1
SG   Tim McIntyre	 5'11"	Fr	EGGGGF  Less  9  9
SF   Kadeem Maldonado    6'5"	So	EGEGFF  Less  9  5
PF   Thomas Price	 7'1"	So	FGPEFG  Less  3  1
C    Jorge Donaghy	 7'1"	So	PEFEFG  Less  1  1

bPG  Harold Spikes	 6'0"	Sr	PGGEGP  Norm  1  1
bSG  Felix Chartrand	 6'6"	Sr	GGEFGF  Norm  8  5
bSF  Jonathan Burk	 6'4"	Fr	PFGFGG  More  1  1
bPF  Rolando Ward	 6'4"	Jr	GFFGEG  Less  8  5
bC   Elgin Binkley	 6'8"	Jr	PGGGFG  More  1  1

Depending on how the first preseason game goes tonight, I might send out some scrims to coaches here on Wednesday. I like my team a lot (it's +52/-6, after all), but the magazine rankings have been mediocre (I think my 4 year avg is 63/64), and a lot of my + ratings are based in Intelligence (+10 there). They can't really shoot, but we play great defense, so I'm trying out a Slow/Man setting. This is my first time ever playing Man... I'm wondering if my team can handle it. Anyone have any advice or thoughts on what I could do differently here?

Just a reminder, if anybody out there is still thinking about submitting a bracket prediction for the NTT, that link is here. Just make an account, click the link, and click "Predict It!" to submit your entry. I think the submissions deadline is 7PM EST, but late submissions are accepted, as far as I can tell.

I picked San Francisco to win it all, edging out our own Carbondale Violence. Only one other person has entered, and they picked Carbondale to win it all over Naples.

I picked San Francisco to win it all, edging out our own Carbondale Violence. Only one other person has entered, and they picked Carbondale to win it all over Naples.

YEE HAW! And by that, I mean we're only going to break your heart. Remember Missouri! And Duke! And Iowa State during the Marcus Fizer year!

Back