• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Orange Bowl Close to Deal with Notre Dame/Big 10/SEC to Face ACC

Yeah, this would be cool. Good to go ahead and lock in a deal for SEC-Big 10 backup teams before somebody else does

But this would be like the #4 SEC and Big Ten teams? They have the playoff system, then the Champions/Rose bowl then the Orange. How could this work?

But this would be like the #4 SEC and Big Ten teams? They have the playoff system, then the Champions/Rose bowl then the Orange. How could this work?

#3 B1G or SEC should still be a good draw........anybody but Big East or WVU.

I forgot about the Sugar Bowl too. Is the ACC champ going to play the #4 SEC school? That is hot garbage.

#2 or 3 SEC or Big 10 not playing in the Rose or Sugar bowl.

This would still be a top 10-15 team like a Wiscy, Mich. St., Nebraska, South Carolina, Florida, and Arkansas type team.

I forgot about the Sugar Bowl too. Is the ACC champ going to play the #4 SEC school? That is hot garbage.

The SEC isn't going to have the Sugar and the Cotton bowl.....it will be one or the other.

So

SEC #1 - playoff
SEC #2 - Sugar/Cotton
SEC #3 - Orange

Or if they send two to the playoffs, then that will be the year a B1G team would be selected instead.

I assume the OB would be picking ahead of the Sugar Bowl. It could easily be the #4 SEC team behind 2 playoff teams and a Champions Bowl participant, but I assume in those situations if there is no desirable SEC squad we could turn to a Big Ten team (or Notre Dame).

Of note: An SEC team hasn't played in the OB since 2002. About time we played big boys in that bowl game

The #3 from the B1G or the SEC is still way much more fun than the winner of the Big East. I'll take Michigan or Penn State (2011 B1G #3/4), or Georgia or Arkansas (last season's SEC #3/4 after the two national champion participants) over Cincinnati (top 2011 Big East team still in the conference).

Wait one minute. While Miami offers a cornucopia of opportunities for the tourist with its world-reknowned nightlife and sportfishing, and it's definitely a locale of interest to the Church with its concentration of Latinos and high school football players, we thought that we were going to be getting into a high quality bowl lineup against top flight opponents when we joined your little association, not the leftovers of the Big Ten (who are dying to play us) and the SEC. This is why our independence is of so much importance to us. This Swofford guy is a lightweight.

So, some additional details are leaking out. The opponent could not be lower than #12 in the BCS (or whatever they call them) standings.

Further, it appears that the playoff games are going to rotate between the Rose, Champions and Orange and some other bowls, unclear whether that includes the Fiesta and Sugar. According to the rumors, the normal match ups will not occur on the years when the bowls host the playoff games. If that is the case, the ACC could see some real quality opponents in Miami. The Sugar appears to be moving down the pecking order of bowl games (sucks for them).

The ACC appears to get ready to make some major bank on the Orange Bowl. From CBSSports.com

The Rose recently signed a deal for $80 million per year with ESPN. The Champions Bowl, created by the SEC and Big 12, is expected to get the same number. The site for the game is expected to be finalized in early October according to SEC commissioner Mike Slive. The Orange is expected to get something less than $80 million.

Assuming the SEC will only send one team to the playoff, it'd be real nice to see the #3 vs. our #1. Rankings-wise, it'd probably line up nicely.

This would be a pretty amazing deal both for us AND for the SEC.

It could also be the #2 ACC team if #1 is in the playoff.

What am I missing here? ACC #1 v. SEC or Big 10 #2 or 3? What about a year, like this one, when the likely ACC#1 is a top 5 caliber team? Wow, how far the ACC has fallen when we are excited about our #1 (which could be the FSU or Miami schools the ACC slobbered over) playing the SEC or Big 10 #3.

Edit to say I hate playing Big East teams in the OB, and many years our #1 v. SEC 2 or even 3 will be an attractive matchup. But I would hope some years we can put a #1 team on the field that can compete with SEC #1 or certainly Big 10 #1.

Last edited:
What am I missing here? ACC #1 v. SEC or Big 10 #2 or 3? What about a year, like this one, when the likely ACC#1 is a top 5 caliber team? Wow, how far the ACC has fallen when we are excited about our #1 (which could be the FSU or Miami schools the ACC slobbered over) playing the SEC or Big 10 #3.

Edit to say I hate playing Big East teams in the OB, and many years our #1 v. SEC 2 or even 3 will be an attractive matchup. But I would hope some years we can put a #1 team on the field that could compete with SEC #1 or certainly Big 10 #1.

In that case they would be in the playoffs.

Back