• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Osama Bin Laden... What is the Christian response to this?

What is my moral response to the death of Osama

• I hope he burns in Hell

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I'm just glad he is dead. Let God Decide

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • Conflicted

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Other/Poll fail

Votes: 15 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Townie, I only quote you here because it was the first version of this I could find.

I found this article on the AtlanticMagazine Website and I was kind of shocked. This quote has been spreading like crazy and apparently it isnt even completely accurate. The first sentence was apparently added by someone on facebook and then spread around like wildfire.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/05/anatomy-of-a-fake-quotation/238257/

Social Media re-writes history. For real.

Wo.

Townie, I only quote you here because it was the first version of this I could find.

I found this article on the AtlanticMagazine Website and I was kind of shocked. This quote has been spreading like crazy and apparently it isnt even completely accurate. The first sentence was apparently added by someone on facebook and then spread around like wildfire.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/05/anatomy-of-a-fake-quotation/238257/

Social Media re-writes history. For real.

Haha, I just assumed that was the extended quote and I was only familiar with the later lines. Dummy.

I call that prince feeble who incapable of carrying on war.
- Niccoló Machiavelli

Pacifists are annoying, and even worse, they are terribly unrealistic about the world that surrounds them.

Thanks for this thoughtful discussion. I just wanted to jump in to defend pacifism as a coherent ideology.

No doubt many pacifists are hypocritical. They want to benefit from the protection provided by the military while at the same time condemning what the military has to do. These people are definitely annoying.

But pacifism is a coherent ideology--you just have to be willing to give up everything for it. You have to be willing to give up not only your own life and freedom, but also your friends and family, all of the progress and accomplishments of your nation, all of your businesses and projects, and whatever else you care about or have invested in. And you have to be willing to give it to the most evil, destructive people, who will turn your good works to bad and harm more people. This is a terribly difficult pill to swallow, but some do, in fact, swallow it, and I admire them. To them, it is so abhorrent to take someone else's life, to kill another human being, that nothing can be worth it. I would even say that I want to be like these people, but I'm not there yet. As for my $.02 as a Christian, I do think Jesus wants us to be like this, but He knows how hard it is.

Last edited:
Back