• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our New Offense: 5 Out Positionless Motion Offense

It worked well for Forbes at ETSU last year. Don't know if his talent was that superior to the rest of the SoCon though. I'm sure he'll figure out what will work best for the talent he has.

Seems like this is dependent on the threat of hitting an outside shot. If not then then defenders can just collapse in the middle. I haven't paid too much attention to our BB program the last couple of years but do we have decent outside shooters that allows us to run this with immediate success?

Seems like this is dependent on the threat of hitting an outside shot. If not then then defenders can just collapse in the middle. I haven't paid too much attention to our BB program the last couple of years but do we have decent outside shooters that allows us to run this with immediate success?

This is where keeping Ismael Massoud would help immensely. Ian DuBose, the grad transfer from Houston Baptist, seems like he'll help here too.

But keeping Massoud would instantly make him the best 3-point shooter on the team.

Yes, having a perimeter of Neath, DuBose, Massoud, and Mucius, with Ody in the dunker spot would work well in this offense.

So, I don't really know anything, but I will say of the ETSU games I've watched they don't seem to heavily favor the outside shot or perimeter, and I've seen a couple of pick and rolls. They had a decent Dutch big man last year who got plenty of touches.

They did at least seem to have 3 to 4 dudes on the floor at all times who were comfortable shooting the three, though, but it wasn't something that stood out, to me at least, that it was a perimeter-centric team. Lazy layman's analysis.

Last edited:
We're going to need a miracle to win more than 10-12 games next year but will have a decent base if we have a top recruiting year.

So, I don't really know anything, but I will say of the ETSU games I've watched they don't seem to heavily favor the outside shot or perimeter, and I've seen a couple of pick and rolls. They had a decent Dutch big man last year who got plenty of touches.

They did at least seem to have 3 to 4 dudes on the floor at all times who were comfortable shooting the three, though, but it wasn't something that stood out, to me at least, that it was a perimeter-centric team. Lazy layman's analysis.

Dutch paint touches? I like.

Forbes' 5 out offense does not focus on 3s.

Last year, out of the 10 teams in the SOCON, ETSU was 9th in the percentage of offense that came from 3s (28%). ETSU was first in the amount of offense that came from 2s (52%) and 3rd in the amount of offense that came from FTs. They used the "5 out offense" to create big gaps in the defense to allow their athletic players to drive to the basket and score or get fouled. So, the offense wasn't really dependent on the 3 point shot (although it could be depending on the talents of the personnel, with the drive and kick out). Would seem like Neath would be particularly well-suited to that offense and he is hard to stay in front of, and is not afraid to take the ball to the rack.

Back