• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Moton was on with Tim Brando today. Absolutely killed it. Sincere, down to earth, funny without trying to be. Don't know if he can coach but I believe he has this life deal figured out.

If he can't recruit I'll be shocked.

I've seen those reports that South Florida wants to go "big" with this hire. Not sure what that means from their perspective but I think it means they are going to target a current coach in power league but probably not a terribly successful one. So we may be talking Andy Kennedy at Ole Miss, Herb Sendek, Oliver Purnell if we still count the Big East or someone like that.

I'm sure they make contact with Howland, but hard to see him going there despite knowing the AD.

I assume that means bigger than Stan Heath was at the time (2 straight NCAAs at Arkansas, the Elite Eight at Kent State) which would mean Kennedy and Purnell at least.

Last edited:
Yeah but Heath was fired from Arkansas. Not like they hired him away.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what they can land. Might surprise us both.

Very interesting read from the VT AD about their search.

He's taking on the short leash fear head on.

Some of what they will get here they might not want. But what they will get — and what might be Babcock’s biggest selling point — is an extended opportunity.

“After turning over coaches here pretty regularly, we’d better get it right,” he said. “Because I’m going to give ‘em some time to get it right. I won’t have unreasonable expectations.”

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colle...374-aef9-11e3-a35c-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

I think the leash is a function of the rep. Bigger rep = bigger leash.

Sounds to me like the VT AD is promising 4 or 5 years to the new coach. He'll probably have to back that promise up with a very big buy out for the coach if he gets fired before that.

VT is hands down the worst job in the ACC. They have no history, no locals and are in buttfuck nowhere.

Bruce Pearl Got 6 years 2.2 million a year with 100,000 riser each year for 14.7 million total. Wake better pay a fucking coach because Auburn is basketball purgatory.

The Pearl contract is crazy to me. Who was Auburn competing against for him? Anyone? That just seems like a ton of money to throw at a guy w/ a checkered past. We can debate how shady Pearl is, but there is no doubt that there are many schools who wouldn't touch him w/ a 10-foot pole... so why overpay?

The Pearl contract is crazy to me. Who was Auburn competing against for him? Anyone? That just seems like a ton of money to throw at a guy w/ a checkered past. We can debate how shady Pearl is, but there is no doubt that there are many schools who wouldn't touch him w/ a 10-foot pole... so why overpay?
Because they have enough money to pay that and they want to do two things. First, get fan support for basketball with a known coach and a big salary ('big time basketball'). And second, signal to recruits that Auburn is trying to take basketball seriously. It was basically a huge recruiting pitch on national television yesterday.

I don’t know, there was a lot of chatter about various schools being interested in Pearl. I do not think Auburn is scared of a checkered past, the school’s is much worse than Pearl’s. I applaud their hire. That sum of cash is a drop in the bucket thanks to all the support Scam Newton brought in, they are just building on the dirty money. Good for them, great hire IMO.

Because they have enough money to pay that and they want to do two things. First, get fan support for basketball with a known coach and a big salary ('big time basketball'). And second, signal to recruits that Auburn is trying to take basketball seriously. It was basically a huge recruiting pitch on national television yesterday.

This.

Smart move by Auburn. Thought Pearl would be the perfect hire for them.

They are 2 years into trying to do the same thing in Columbia, SC with Frank Martin. Two years ago he signed a 5 year deal at 2 mil per year. The SEC money dwarfs ACC money so they can afford to do this. I have no doubt whatsoever that Pearl will be a smash hit at Auburn & Martin will eventually win at SC.

I agree that Pearl is the perfect fit for them and I guess the money doesn't matter... it just seems like a much bigger contract than was necessary. That's all I'm saying.

The SEC is so bad you have to pay a good coach to come. Granted they have the dough so its no big deal.

SC's baseball coach Chad Holbrook makes $400K per year.

The sec has a pathetic hiring history in coaches overall. How has georgia not made more noise over the years? Compared to the benchmark of other sec hoops hires this one is an absolute A plus. He will win and Alabama is going to panic and offer Marshall 3mm a year.

The contract Pearl signed is evidence that the average salary for basketball coach's is going to increase significantly over the next few years as the new tv contracts, bowl money and college football play off money floods into the power conferences. This is going to have a few effects. First the mid-majors won't be able to offer competitive salaries which should end the trend of many of them staying at their current schools in lieu of taking power conference jobs. Second, since we're on the opening wave of this phenomena what seems expensive now (say 2.5 million for a Shaka or Marshall) will not be an exorbitant price in just a few years time.

Back