• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Not saying he's the guy and apologize if it's already been discussed, but what's wrong with Mack if he's willing to leave X.

I think he'd be great. Just got a conference upgrade though, not sure as to his availability.

Nothing against Mack as he would be a huge upgrade over Bz (who wouldn't?) but it's time to make a clean break from the Prosser coaching tree.

I doubt, given the schools he's already turned down, that Shaka Smart would come to Wake.
As I recall from the foggy past, Fran McCaffery left Wake with less than warm fuzzy feelings on both sides.
As for Orlando Antigua at Kentucky, I just can't see a Calipari guy coming here. My fear is that we could wind up in the national media like UNC (see recent CNN story).
What about Ben Howland? He was great at Pitt, but there were issues at UCLA where he refused to coddle certain celebrity wannabe players.
Though it pains me to say it, Tommy Amaker seems to have matured as a coach and Harvard is doing well.
As a practical matter, I don't think we'll get a head coach from a major conference but might get a highly respected assistant. If we want a coach with head coaching experience, probably better to look at the A-10, MAC or the "new Big East" although the latter might count as a major basketball conference.

I want the best coach who will bring in good kids that will win on the court and be successful off, all while enjoying being a part of the Wake community(coach and players). I don't really care where he comes from.

What are people's thoughts on Josh Pastner? If it helps with this crowd, he actually fired his brother-in-law (S&C coach). I remember Lute Olsen saying Pastner was born to be a coach when he was a walk-on at Arizona. That is definitely a nice way of saying he was not a great player. Not sure if it also means Lute really thought he had "it" when it comes to coaching, but it did stick with me for some reason.

Pastner probably wouldn't come here and we probably wouldn't pursue him anyway. He signs A TON of JuCo players, just got a contract extension last spring, and is doing just fine recruiting top 10 classes with (no academic restrictions) and winning a game or two in the tournament every year as is.

I doubt, given the schools he's already turned down, that Shaka Smart would come to Wake.

Haven't you heard that RJ got a faint whiff of something fragrant from Jamie Skeen's jock strap and believes we can hurl gajillions of dollars at Shaka and get him to come here.

1247rz9.jpg

I don't want Pastner or anybody from Calipari's group.

I understand that might give pause, but he is also a part of Lute Olsen's group. I agree it would likely be a tough pull, but the ACC is strong selling point. The players he has signed probably mirror the school as much as they do him.
Btw, reading an article, I realized he was actually a scholarship player at UA. I haven't followed him enough to have a strong opinion.

Our Next BB Coach

Shaka Smart has a really weird dream school but unless that coach suddenly sucks I don't think it will open for a long time

I understand that might give pause, but he is also a part of Lute Olsen's group. I agree it would likely be a tough pull, but the ACC is strong selling point. The players he has signed probably mirror the school as much as they do him.
Btw, reading an article, I realized he was actually a scholarship player at UA. I haven't followed him enough to have a strong opinion.

He didn't get a scholly until his final season.

Mike White really wants to be a head coach in the ACC and would definitely take the Wake job. From what I have been told he is very intrigued by the possibility of it coming open.

White does not have private school experience if that is one of the criteria. However, his dad is the AD at Duke and was the AD at Notre Dame. That should givev White some perspective on what things are like at an academically tough private school.

I think they look at anthony grant from bama

I've been wondering the same thing lately, too. I hope not, though. His teams play a boring, plodding style, and he has Bama basically at the level that Odom had us post Duncan, and there is no reason to think he wouldn't do the same thing at Wake.

Back