• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

This might be single worst defensive strategy you could have.

I guess they make up for it by creating a ton of turnovers and rebounding really well. Because they are a good defensive team overall despite allowing the most 3 attempts in country. But yeah it is very bizarre.

That could never fly against better competition. Sounds like the defense we used to run in rec league growing up because all the kids wanted to shoot threes but sucked at it.

In contrast, Michael White's team allows the least amount of 3pt attempts and has the best 3pt FG defense in Conf USA (28%). Big difference between defensive rebounding as Southern Miss is 1st in the conference and LA Tech is 14/16.

ETA: Jesus, looking at Conf USA stats, LA Tech is legit in pretty much every category other than 3pt shooting and defensive rebounds.

Last edited:
Yeah. His teams have never finished better than 267th in 8 seasons at preventing 3 point attempts. Last 3 years 338, 347, and 351 this year. There are only 351 teams so that is dead last.
Are these other teams making these 3s? I guess I'd still want to know what the eFG% against is under Tyndell and whether this strategy nonetheless is a net positive.

But yea, this would not work against the size and speed of the guards we play in this league.

Are these other teams make these 3s? I guess I'd still want to know what the eFG% against is under Tyndell and whether this strategy nonetheless is a net positive.

Surprisingly they have the 40th best adjusted defense in the country.

Ranks:

eFG% 176th
TO% 8th
O Reb% 56th%
FT Rate 267th

Surprising to me that they allow so many 3's yet also have a poor FT Rate. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Perhaps they are so aggressive in trying to steal the ball that they pick up fouls and get into the bonus quickly?

If Bama opts to get rid of Anthony Grant, would he be someone of interest or would his inability to create much success there be a reason to stay away? I know many fans were all about him potentially replacing Skip at the time of his death.

If Bama opts to get rid of Anthony Grant, would he be someone of interest or would his inability to create much success there be a reason to stay away? I know many fans were all about him potentially replacing Skip at the time of his death.

I definitely don't think Grant would be in Wellman's top 5, but if he gets far enough down his list then I think Grant would be a possibility.

I have always been #grantIN, but I doubt a fired coach from the SEC would be Wellman's wheelhouse. I guess we should start researching the Toledo HC, Tod Kowalczyk, if we're following Ron's pattern.

Also, if Grant is fired, I wonder if we'll go after Devin Mitchell and the new coach will cut ties with Watson.

We could also take the UF assistants path and hire Matt McCall.

Also, just going to throw another name out there because I hate [Redacted] and want to think about the future:

Sydney Johnson (39 years old): Took Princeton to the NCAAs, then moved to Fairfield. Was an Asst on the Georgetown team that went to the Final Four. Played at Princeton, coached at Georgetown, Princeton, Fairfield? Sounds like a Wellman/Wake guy.

Last edited:
I have always been #grantIN, but I doubt a fired coach from the SEC would be Wellman's wheelhouse. I guess we should start researching the Toledo HC, Tod Kowalczyk, if we're following Ron's pattern.

Also, if Grant is fired, I wonder if we'll go after Devin Mitchell and the new coach will cut ties with Watson.

We could also take the UF assistants path and hire Matt McCall.

Also, just going to throw another name out there because I hate [Redacted] and want to think about the future:

Sydney Johnson (39 years old): Took Princeton to the NCAAs, then moved to Fairfield. Was an Asst on the Georgetown team that went to the Final Four. Played at Princeton, coached at Georgetown, Princeton, Fairfield? Sounds like a Wellman/Wake guy.

Sydney Johnson is 5-20 at Fairfield this year in year 3. That hire would be as bad as Bz.

I really have no sense/feel for the top assistants. But I would be surprised if Wellman hires someone who isn't a head coach.

Archie MIller fills all the usual Ron W criteria. Would come from Ohio, has small private school experience (Dayton), ACC experience from playing at State, and coaching pedigree from father and brother (Sean at Arizona). Looking past his Wuffie heritage, he would likely provide the youthful energy currently lacking from the Buzzard. Given the obviously quick energy resuscitation the Claw has brought to footbal, I would gladly accept Archie M. to campus.

Archie MIller fills all the usual Ron W criteria. Would come from Ohio, has small private school experience (Dayton), ACC experience from playing at State, and coaching pedigree from father and brother (Sean at Arizona). Looking past his Wuffie heritage, he would likely provide the youthful energy currently lacking from the Buzzard. Given the obviously quick energy resuscitation the Claw has brought to footbal, I would gladly accept Archie M. to campus.

Miller would be solid. No Doubt.

Archie is my number one realistic candidate and think he'd be a homerun hire. If you want to start landing recruits like Brandon Ingram, then you go get Miller.

One quirk I saw about Archie: He has the deepest rotations I've seen. Last game @ St. Bon (tough conference road game that they won by 3 points) he played 11 guys. Game before that @ Mason he played 11 guys all double digit minutes in a 17 point win.

I'd be happy with White, Miller or Lonergan of the attainable coaches.

Gotta think Archie Miller may hold out for the NCSU job. Hard to imagine that dude as our coach considering how much I hated him. It would be like hiring Greg Fucking Paulus as our coach.

Dayton needs to go on a bit of a run if they want to make the tournament (four winnable games before finishing UMASS, @STL, RICHMOND). They lost four in a row at the end of January, but have won three in a row since.

I have to think Gottfried will be there at least two or three more years. They should probably at least make the N.I.T. this year and next year they'll be a NCAAT again with the recruiting class they have coming in plus their returning talent.

I think Miller playing at NC State could help us. I'm sure he respects the hell out of the ACC and tobacco road. Wake and State aren't rivals on the level where this would be a problem IMO.

Dayton's offensive Kenpom ranks the last 3 years: 25, 26, 16. That is impressive.

Back