• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Pain - My take on the current civil unrest

MagicDeac

Reaction score
I do a weekly Zoom call as managing partner of my firm's DC office. About a week and a half ago I decided to address the civil unrest in the country by discussing personal experiences I've had and then some thoughts on a path forward. The responses have been overwhelming so I thought I'd share with the board.

https://soundcloud.com/user-237509730

Go Deacs!

Tough stories to listen to. Thanks for speaking up, Magic.

Last edited:
Damn. Thanks for sharing. I have forwarded to some of my professional partners too - for too long I have lived in a bubble where I assumed that the horror stories were all unique, rather than the norm. Thank you for helping us break out of that false reality.

Damn. Thanks for sharing. I have forwarded to some of my professional partners too - for too long I have lived in a bubble where I assumed that the horror stories were all unique, rather than the norm. Thank you for helping us break out of that false reality.

Thanks for sharing. I've been overwhelmed by the response. I've had other law firms, companies, universities, and churches all sharing it broadly within their circles. I'm honored to be a part of the conversation.

Thanks for posting Magic. It takes a lot of strength to share your story like that.

Thanks for sharing this. I assume you're ok with us passing it along?

That's a powerful message; thanks for sharing. I'm trying to work on my blind spots so messages like this are powerful.

Another message that resonated with me was this heartfelt testimony from the new Air Force Chief of Staff. https://www.pacaf.af.mil/News/Video/

This morning, I added MLK day as a paid holiday for my firm. I wish I hadn't been so completely tone deaf to the pain one of our team members was facing and I'm sorry it took these events to bring the obvious need into better focus for me.

Thank you for doing this. It will have wide ranging impact on all concerned citizens.

Very eye-opening for me. Yeah, I'm sheltered, and I've always had great admiration for the police. But, as I've been educating myself over the past few weeks, it's become obvious that some of my faith has been misplaced.

Your law school story was particularly galling. I'm sorry this happened to you. Thanks for posting.

That's a powerful message; thanks for sharing. I'm trying to work on my blind spots so messages like this are powerful.

Another message that resonated with me was this heartfelt testimony from the new Air Force Chief of Staff. https://www.pacaf.af.mil/News/Video/

This morning, I added MLK day as a paid holiday for my firm. I wish I hadn't been so completely tone deaf to the pain one of our team members was facing and I'm sorry it took these events to bring the obvious need into better focus for me.

Thanks for sharing the comments from the Air Force Chief of Staff. Being the "only" this is or that has always made me feel like a badass, but that likely was partly just me coping with being the only black guy around for miles. Also, good move re MLKjr day. I'm sure your staff appreciates it.

Back