• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Outer banks

Wake95

Reaction score
Looking to go to the outer banks for the first time with the wife and kiddos (8&11). Thinking about maybe going over Labor Day weekend and take a couple of extra days to make it like a 5 day weekend. Any recs on where to go/stay? Looking for quiet/secluded with beautiful scenery. Would rather stay in a single family house than a condo. Just want somewhere to chill quietly and spend some quality time with the family.

Looking to go to the outer banks for the first time with the wife and kiddos (8&11). Thinking about maybe going over Labor Day weekend and take a couple of extra days to make it like a 5 day weekend. Any recs on where to go/stay? Looking for quiet/secluded with beautiful scenery. Would rather stay in a single family house than a condo. Just want somewhere to chill quietly and spend some quality time with the family.

No place better than Ocracoke for what you describe. I strongly prefer the beaches and seclusion there to the Nags Head/KDH area, but the crew has to be up for the several hours added to the drive (of course, depending upon where you are coming from).

Agreed with the Ocracoke rec above. As long as the kids do not expect Myrtle Beach entertainment...shows, putt putt, etc....then it will be as you wish. The trip from WS is 8 hrs whether you drive the entire way or take the ferry from Swan Quarter & let the NCDOT drive the last 2.5 hrs. We always take the ferry & catch a quick nap or play cards. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Orcacoke sounds like what we are looking for. What are the chances of finding a nice place there on such short notice for the Labor Day weekend? Would love to find somewhere with some character...like an old historic house or something along those lines. Any recs on where to look other than vrbo?

And my kids are so very anti myrtle beach it isn't even funny....took them to Disney world a couple of years ago and they were done after one day and never want to go back. We left Disney and just went to the coast and chilled the rest of the week and had a great time

Here's the link to Ocracoke Island Realty. Not sure what they'd have but at least it is another option. Nothing on the island is taller than 3 stories & there is a lot of Blackbeard history. We always camp when we go or else I'd be able to give you someone's name. Maybe others can help here.

You're not going to find an ocean front on Ocracoke and most of the beaches are only reachable by 4wd and being comfortable driving in the sand. You can walk over by the airport and on the North end. Just something to consider. You might want to look at the Rodanthe or Waves area. It's real OBX but with ocean front and some amenities but nothing like Myrtle. Ocracoke is heaven on earth for getting away but not beach front beach type deal. For the family you can look North of Nags head near Corolla and Duck as well but it's a bit more touristy but still nothing like Myrtle.

Corolla is really relaxing, except for the drive in. Really not crowded like Duck.

I was in Ocracoke two weeks ago, wish I was going back soon.

From Winston, I would drive to Cedar Island and take the ferry. Time is the same, but it's less driving for you. You can make reservations on-line to be sure you get a spot; it's $15.

The wife and I stayed at Blackbeard's Lodge. It's one of the oldest buildings on the island, they have a game room with pool table, swimming pool, and they are close to everything. Reasonable prices too.

There is a large beach access just outside the village on Hwy 12 that you can drive to in under 5 minutes. Like mentioned, no beach front property but that is a positive. Lot's of watersports activities, boat tours, etc.

If you want to get off the island to do something, plan around ferry schedules. The Hatteras ferry is 12 miles away and runs all day. You can easily make a trip up to Hatteras if the kids are interested in climbing the light house. The ferry was running slow because after the hurricane the channel has filled in. The ferry literally came to a complete stop and then pushed over the sand to get through.

SBTtoy just arrived in Ocracoke today for a full week, I'll be joining her on Wednesday or Thursday. Definitely what the OP is looking for, and so long as the kids aren't expecting a ton of stuff to do, it fits the bill perfectly. 4WD is a must for the beach, not only practically but the beach is just WAY better experienced when you can drive out there and tailgate by the surf. Plenty of single family homes for rent, not sure about timing. Bikes are a must-have as well, the island is much better experienced on a bike.

The Swan Quarter ferry to Ocracoke is about half an hour closer to Winston than Cedar Island, FWIW.

Have been to Corolla with the family 15+ times and stayed in Corolla Light each time. Very quiet areas with great houses and beaches, 4WD access, still some wild horses, great bike trails, Currituck Light House, Whalehead Club, and sound access, etc. Corolla Light also has nice pools (including indoor if weather is bad), tennis/volleyball/basketball courts, some family/kid events, for those inclined. It's also only a short drive to Duck/Manteo/Jockey's Ridge/Oregon Inlet/Pirate's Cove. Corolla would be my vote.

My parents have owned a house and now lived in Corolla for over a decade. It has grown quite a bit over that time, but it is still very secluded and a great spot. There are a ton of nice big houses you can rent. Go to the Twiddy site or VRBO and there will be plenty to choose. The only real draw back is traffic. Almost all places rent Sat-Sat and there is only one road in through Duck. The last 15 miles can take 2-3 hrs if you try to come in Sat morning. This will be especially true on a holiday weekend. So keep that in mind.

Back