• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Parties Lose Voter Registration Numbers In Battlegrounds since 2008; Independents Gai

ncsportsnut1

Reaction score
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...0KjjCA&usg=AFQjCNH7OysOyOVRCidImVG_pwI86wcwLA

So the Dems lost a net 500,000 more voters than the Republicans. Presumably both parties lost voters who chose to be independents. A couple footnotes are in order that can explain a little of the attrition, but certainly not the bulk of it. Election boards routinely "purge" inactive voters from time to time. The timing of the purging varies by state. Also, I wonder how many of these states have large numbers of people leaving the states to go find work elsewhere or due to other life events.

Even with those caveats, the trend is clearly that voters want to be independent and not as identified with a party as in the past.

Here is a followup article to this study, written by the same group, and published in March 2012. Numbers are updated and more current.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...0KjjCA&usg=AFQjCNHvXn2m8H80_pvjrNFvn8tElV1irw

Last edited:
Seems like the GOP voter suppression policies are working.

If there is all this support for independents out there, why didn't all those Tea Party candidates who profess to be disgusted with both parties run as independent Tea Party candidates, rather than as Republicans?

have no idea. Like I said some of the attrition for both parties can be explained from normal election processes. Plus, being registered doesn't mean you will actually vote, or how you will vote once in the booth. The one thing for sure is that more and more people prefer an unaffiliate/independent label.

Seems like the GOP voter suppression policies are working.

Nice one RJ must've had your coffee lol. Yep you know how us GOPers like to kick people off the voting rolls haha. Put your analytical objective hat on for a few minutes and tell me how you interpret this data. I'm still digesting it.

Oh, I think you have a pretty good idea: The Tea Party nuts aren't independents at all. They are simply the most extreme wing of the already extreme Republican Party today.

BKF, how in the world do u digress to Tea Party after reading some voter registration statistics? Can we keep this to discuss of the articles? prob not but worth a try

the tea party is for people who don't think the republican party is extreme enough. it's not like democrats are joining.

This is not at all surprising to me. I walked out of voting today and questioned to myself why I am registered with a specific party. Then I realized that neither party was the better option and that perhaps when I change my address, name, etc I will just change to independent.

This is not at all surprising to me. I walked out of voting today and questioned to myself why I am registered with a specific party. Then I realized that neither party was the better option and that perhaps when I change my address, name, etc I will just change to independent.

you and rj have something in common!

you and rj have something in common!

I didn't say I had changed, just thinking about it. My political values are not the same as when I registered in high school. But they don't quite align with either party at the moment, I'm more of a mix of the two.

There is a certain cache to being registered as independent these days, so it doesn't surprise me that more people are doing it. Whether people shift their actual votes with their party allegiances is the really question.

I consider myself independent because I don't care, at all, about the health, power, success, or control of either political party. As entities, they mean nothing to me. I can't fathom voting a straight ticket. I hate the two-party system intensely, and feel that it, more than any other factor, is responsible for the abject failure of our system of government. We need more political parties to offer more philosophical options to voters, and the only way to achieve that is to institute sincere campaign finance reform, so that a candidate isn't required to seek the financial sponsorship of one party or the other to compete in a election. I'm tired of candidates being forced, fiscally, into one of only two extreme molds, in order to be able to run for a serious office. The Roberts court seems determined to make this problem even more extreme, with their campaign finance stupidity in the wrongly decided Citizens United case. Unfortunately, we're headed in the wrong direction.

That's why stupidity like the credit downgrade happens. Zealots like the Tea Party House can act in direct opposition to our national best interest, secure in the knowledge that right-leaning voters have no choice but to tacitly support their brand of hard right intransigence. Those voters have nowhere else to go but to the opposite extreme, and that's not going to happen. It's absurd and sickening that our system chokes away the possibility of moderate parties, in between the poles, that could the extremist wackos in check. But the money gap is just too significant at present to allow a third party to get off the ground. That how our two-party system is designed to work -- corporate money controls the level of variation possible by limiting the field to only two candidates, from the two parties it already controls, while using the high levels of said money to choke off the possibility of an outsider disturbing any core corporate-friendly principles. This control of the spectrum keeps all the core issues essentially untouched and unaltered 95% of the time (Obama's attack of the insurance industry was a notable exception -- and look at the forces brought to bear to kill reform in that case. Look what it took to get anything to change.). We have a sham democracy controlled by special interest money, which controls both parties. Given that, why would anyone feel any real attachment to either party? It's like liking someone's left hand, but hating their right hand. How to you miss that those limbs are connected and the same?

When I choose a candidate, I care about my opinions, not any party ideology, so I vote for whichever candidate most closely aligns with me. In my mind, the entire field is auditioning for me, and not the other way around, so the idea of rooting for one side over the other is nonsensical. Though I am unabashedly a liberal political thinker, I find that I vote for republicans 10-25% of the time in any given election, mostly locally, and don't really care which party wins an election if the candidate is doing what I want. Admittedly, that percentage has dropped lately, due to the complete lack of moderate republican candidates operating at the national or state level these days. On the national stage, it's becoming harder and harder to find republicans that are rational, reasonable, able to compromise, and don't view politics as some sort of crusade. Until the pendulum swings back, I'm really left with little choice but to vote for Democrats, who aren't perfect but seem far more cable of actually running a sane government at this point in time. But that doesn't mean I like them. My choices have been unfairly curtailed by a system design to limit actual change.

Last edited:
Arlington said it better (and in more verbose fashion) than me, but the way I see it, voters registering as independents now is the same as how 'pubs find it fashionable to refer to themselves as libertarians. Its just something to do. I doubt it ends up having a dramatic change in national politics- its not like we are going to have a legitimate third party anytime soon.

Arlington said it better (and in more verbose fashion) than me, but the way I see it, voters registering as independents now is the same as how 'pubs find it fashionable to refer to themselves as libertarians. Its just something to do. I doubt it ends up having a dramatic change in national politics- its not like we are going to have a legitimate third party anytime soon.

One of the most amusing political trends IMO.

Does the Tea Party still exist? I think I developed a mental censor such that the phrase "Tea Party" just doesn't register.

Back