• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paul Johnson downplays SEC

SEC isn't that good this year. Didn't read Johnson's comments though. It actually wasn't that good this last year either, but was the best because everybody else sucked (and still pretty much does). It is basically two teams with great defenses, another team that hasn't beaten anybody, and a bunch of dog shit after that. UGA isn't much. Top to bottom, the Big XII is better, and the Big 10 is better. The problem is that the top of the SEC is heavily weighted. Of course, if they played teams with offenses on any consistent basis, they might not look so awesome. It reminds me of the old NFC vs AFC debates. No, the NFC really wasn't better. It's just that SF and Dallas were the best teams in the NFL.

They got a huge boost playing SEC teams that were rated highly.

Look, I am not saying the SEC is bad. I just don't buy that they are some mini-NFL and everyone else is playing high school ball.

This is what pisses me off about the SEC. I know they are a great conference with awesome football tradition but some folks act like they are the only ones that play Div. 1 football and everybody else is chopped liver. Oh and sure the SEC sends loads of players to the NFL, but the ACC sends its fair share too.

It will be interesting to see Johnson's comments after the game. The 4th place SEC team is giving his 3rd place ACC team a 21 point beat down at home.

Maybe someone will give him a ticket to the SEC Championship Game next week, two miles down the street from his stadium.

UGA always recruits superior talent to Tech. In the 2009 and 2010 classes combined, UGA had 5 5*'s and 20 4*'s. Tech had zero 5's and 7 4's. Tech is 3rd in the ACC and their talent level coming out of HS is about the same as ours. Without looking it up, I'd bet every SEC team with the exception Vandy and KY, have more 4 and 5 star talent than Tech.

As long as Paul Johnson is there, they will struggle to recruit offensive talent, particulary at QB and WR.

Back