• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pave The Quad & other WFU mysteries

Also the goals and purposes of masonry deviate a good bit from the majority of what you listed.

Sorry I would've quoted/edited last post but I'm on my phone

Phan... No. Freemasons trace significant changes in their history to those medieval trade guilds, but has its roots in ancient/biblical times.

Also the goals and purposes of masonry deviate a good bit from the majority of what you listed.

Sorry I would've quoted/edited last post but I'm on my phone

The 'roots' that you describe are simply foundation myths. They are not based in any certain truth, but are used to construct mythical origins in much the same way that Brutus founded London or Aeneas founded Rome.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the ones that I am most familiar with are Solomon and the Knights Templar. Further, I have been inside the Mason's temple in London (late 18th century, if I recall correctly), and I am fairly certain that this is commonly considered to be the origin of modern mason-ism.

Sure, the goals and purposes of masonry differ from the guilds and the classical cults, but so do the goals and purposes of a fraternity or a secret society or an honor society or any other fraternal organization. It is pretty silly for you to note that the goals of the Masons differ from the groups I mentioned when I am quite certain that the goals of the XXIIIs differ just as much from the Masons.

If you must criticize the lack of originality of a group like the XXIIIs at Wake, at least do so by selecting a group with a similar purpose and organization (like Skull and Bones) rather than picking a gigantic international entity like the Freemasons.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the ones that I am most familiar with are Solomon and the Knights Templar. Further, I have been inside the Mason's temple in London (late 18th century, if I recall correctly), and I am fairly certain that this is commonly considered to be the origin of modern mason-ism.

You're wrong, but not terribly far off :p

Cool that you went into one of the Masonic lodges in London, but I can pretty definitively say that one central location in London is not, or rather can not be the origin of modern Masonry.

FWIW, I was half kidding in my first post anyways, but now I just had to poke a few holes in what you were saying. Overall though you're right, and again just kind of playing around. Also, I am a Mason, I'm not pulling all of this out of my ass.

Also, that last part seems like you feel pretty strongly about the XXIIIs... have we found one?! JK haha

ETA: to clarify, what I really meant by the original post was more specific than the overarching purposes of each fraternal or clandestine organization. More like, some of the language, rituals, symbols, etc used by a lot of frats or campus secret societies are almost word for word or identical in action to what occurs in some Masonic ceremonies. Not all, obviously, but I've definitely heard some that are dead on taken from that.

ETA2: fun fact, there are 23 Masonic temples within the aforementioned London temple I assume you were referrencing. COINCIDENCE?!....yeah it is

Last edited:
First off, an explanation is in order. Woodie stopped through town yesterday and brought with him a bun of hashish that didn’t sit quite right. I’ve seen the thread here for posting while drunk and the other for doing stoned posting. Guess I ought to start one for posting while hopped up on Old Toby. Mea culpa.

Anywho, spent the morning shaking out the cobwebs and wanted to say a quick word about the tunnels. A bit of a cautionary tale for you youngsters. We had our own little run-in with the tunnels back in the day.

This was right around the time the dean was cracking down hard on the Dick Bandit. Despite the dean’s best efforts, the Fiesta Fox had eluded the campus security guards and drawn a big old pants demon on the front of the Fideles’ house. I mean, this sucker was a real colossus. Had a slight leftward bend to it too, just like Ricky. This really got the dean’s goat, as the Fideles held their big 15 year reunion the next morning. Boy, those ladies were agitated. Lots of blather about respect for women's rights, withholding donations, contacting the FBI, the whole nine yards. Ricky was ecstatic.

After that little incident, the dean stepped up security measures so that an officer was posted in front of every society house 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. No exceptions. Those officers were on those doors like a hair in a biscuit. The dean was determined to put an end to the Dick Bandit once and for all.

This lit quite a fire under Foxy. As you’ve probably noticed on these boards, Rick is never one to back down from a challenge. He just needed a plan.

Not long after the crackdown had begun, the Reynolda Raiders were sitting around watching TV and huffing some ether that Schilling had distilled from a bag of starter fluid and some stale pond water. Called it Texas Shoeshine. The Great Escape was on the tube, which was one of Ricky’s favorite movies. Foxy loved Steve McQueen, probably because for Foxy it must have been like looking in a mirror. Effortless charisma.

So we’re sitting there shooting the breeze and watching a young Charles Bronson dig tunnels, when the idea hits Foxy – he could use the famous Wake Forest tunnels to maneuver around campus and make his art. The bastards would never see him coming.

Now, we’d all heard about the tunnels, but none of us had ever been inside. Had no idea what to expect or even how to gain access. Fortunately, Kreebie knew Sparky pretty well – old guy who worked in the Facilities Department – and got Sparky to show him how to access the tunnels in exchange for a jar of Woodie’s ether.

So one night, Ricky takes a can of purple paint, a brush, and a couple of tabs of space rock with him and disappears down a manhole behind Reynold’s Gym. As usual, said he was “off to study” and would be back in a couple of hours.

Didn’t see Foxy again until 3 months later, when Sparky found him unconscious, hanging out of a drain pipe in the woods out by Faculty Apartments. He was naked, of course, alive, but catatonic. Purple paint and bits of animal fur all over his face and mouth – I guess he resorted to drinking the paint after a few weeks wandering around those tunnels lost and in the dark. In his left hand he was clutching the skeletal remains of what appeared to be a mouse, or rat, or some other kind of small critter. Probably explained why Foxy looked so surprisingly well-fed.

Sparky scooped him up and dropped him off with us at the Barn. At first, we were worried, as Foxy wasn’t talking. Thought for a minute that the stress of it all had made him revert back to his childhood. But as soon as Country slipped a fresh doobie past Foxy’s trembling purple lips, the light in Ricky’s eyes gradually returned. First words out of his mouth were something about how if Piglet is really supposed to be a boy pig, you ought to be able to see his nutsack through that tight magenta onesie he wears. That’s when we knew the ol’ Fox was back – he never tired of talking about Piglet’s beanbag.

Curious side note: during the three months Ricky was lost down in the tunnels, the rest of us Raiders got the most action we’d ever gotten from the ladies. Broads who typically went out of their way to avoid our crew down at the Dirty were suddenly chatting us up and giving us the business. I even pressed bellies with the bird who had slapped Foxy in the face that time after he’d walked up and shown her his special grandma’s tongue trick. It was remarkable. I reckon it was just their way of dealing with their grief over Ricky’s disappearance. It was tough on all of us.

First words out of his mouth were something about how if Piglet is really supposed to be a boy pig, you ought to be able to see his nutsack through that tight magenta onesie he wears. That’s when we knew the ol’ Fox was back – he never tired of talking about Piglet’s beanbag.

I can't... I just... I can't

This thread went from great to epic in one post.

leftward bend and Piglet's beanbag had me biting my cheek to keep from audible laughter in the office.

i think harv is showing his real-person age. didn't the tunnels used to be open?

i think harv is showing his real-person age. didn't the tunnels used to be open?

Yes. They used to have fraternity/sorority greek monopoly games in there as well. They had to close it once kids used it simply as a place to party, as well as other safety restrictions.

It also would flood quite heavily during rainstorms. When we went through the tunnels the last time, some places the water was knee deep.

nope, unless they sneak in... but i don't think that happened while i was there. they open it up to seniors or something one day a year now for "wfu secrets day" or some bs; tunnels, top of wait, etc.

I know a couple of guys who hotboxed the room under the stairs between johnson and bostwick. its in the tunnel

While we're on the subject of tunnels, do greek organizations still paint the tunnels b/w Bostwick & Johnson and Babcock & NewDorm/Luter?

No, but the paint is still up from the last time they did it.

Maintenance & Facilities personnel exclusively use the tunnels between Luter/Babcock and Bostwick/Johnson now, so those doors are open a good bit for students to see, but not use.

They opened it up one day in the spring in between Luter and the Cock to walk through.

Wow, that tunnel was open 24/7 back in the day. That's how us Babcock residents got into the dorm after hours (since we weren't issued front door keys)...and it was the one drawback to living in one of the 2 rooms just off the tunnel in the basement - noisy folks coming in at all hours after parties.

ptmf'nq

I found this thread while looking for more info about pave the quad. I'm pretty pissed at everything the administration has been doing recently, and this thing with closing off half of Lot Q in order to build dorms to accommodate more students forcibly living on campus just seems ridiculous. Tuition is the highest its ever been, and they keep raising it. And then Wake does plenty of things that will bring in more revenue, but at the cost of the quality of life or education for students. It just sucks.

A free thought dangles, at first it seems odd: but when hindered by angles, should we not pave the quad?

Back