• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paying athletes does it end Wake athletics?

Deac83

Reaction score
While I've always been against paying athletes, I found this article made an interesting point.

link

What caught my eye was this:

"If there were no artificial limits on spending, star talent would invariably become very expensive, which would discourage schools from stockpiling coveted recruits. Instead, the best athletes would be distributed more evenly throughout the various schools and conferences."

Just looking at hoops, could UNC and dook stockpile talent like they do today? If top talent went for $1M+ a year could dook and UNC afford at $10-20M roster?

I think the one factor they fail to incorporate is that all you need is a couple of billion dollar alumni that are willing to part with significant cash to pay for players. For example, how much money would T-Boone give to OKst to directly fund their rosters.

I think it would change the balance more based on who has the biggest spending alumni, not on what the athletic department was willing to fund which similarly would create schools that spend like the Yanks and Sox in baseball. Of course spending the most has not related to consistent championships.

One final consideration, given there are quite a few accounts of NBA players spending all their money, what's going to happen when you put $1M in the pocket of an 18 year old on a college campus?

How much do you think Calipari pays for players at Kentucky now? Granted it is not millions, but how many parents received jobs in Durham and Chapel Hill over the years?

No. Payments to student athletes should come from coaches' and athletic administrators' salaries, associated income and shoe contracts.

If a state university pays it's athletes, are they not defacto employees of the state? Can they unionize? Are they eligible for worker's comp coverage? Football and Men's Basketball are the only two sports that make money. As of 2010, only two Baseball programs were slightly in the black. Miami (thank you A-Rod) and Arizona St. The 100 players on the football and Mens BB team pay the bill for all the other male sports and all of the female sports. You'll have an elimination of the other male sports and any female sport that carries the 101st female. How much do you pay to see a softball game on a campus? Athletic Depts make millions, but they spend millions. Jerry Tarkainian voted for every rule change, because he knew that everybody else but him would follow the news, tougher rules. Coaches are promoting the paying of athletes to show that "I'm on your side".

Simple, Title IX. Its never going to happen. If it does happen most schools will just go to Division 3. The ones that try to make a go of it will probably drop most of their other "varsity" sports. The club teams will get a big boost I guess.

Last edited:
If a state university pays it's athletes, are they not defacto employees of the state? Can they unionize? Are they eligible for worker's comp coverage? Football and Men's Basketball are the only two sports that make money. As of 2010, only two Baseball programs were slightly in the black. Miami (thank you A-Rod) and Arizona St. The 100 players on the football and Mens BB team pay the bill for all the other male sports and all of the female sports. You'll have an elimination of the other male sports and any female sport that carries the 101st female. How much do you pay to see a softball game on a campus? Athletic Depts make millions, but they spend millions. Jerry Tarkainian voted for every rule change, because he knew that everybody else but him would follow the news, tougher rules. Coaches are promoting the paying of athletes to show that "I'm on your side".

NC is a Right to work state..No unions They wont be paid a salary, or hourly. Would be a stipend of some sort. No way this issue gets in the way of professional "college" sport.

How much do you think Calipari pays for players at Kentucky now? Granted it is not millions, but how many parents received jobs in Durham and Chapel Hill over the years?

I think the question is, if it's an open and free market what happens. If KY says they will pay $500k for a star and UCLA says they'll pay $750k it's worse for KY since now there is open legal competition.

The other question that would be difficult is, what happens to guys like Teague and Johnson, who develop into NBA 1st rounders, as they improve do they get raises?

Back