• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Payne Stewart

Stewart won his last tournament, the 1999 US Open, at the age of 42. I think he was one player who could have contended for and won majors into his forties and possibly even his fifties.

I was working for MCI at the time and saw both his 1989 and 1990 MCI Heritage wins at Harbor Town. One of my top 10 courses in the world.

Stewart won his last tournament, the 1999 US Open, at the age of 42. I think he was one player who could have contended for and won majors into his forties and possibly even his fifties.

I was working for MCI at the time and saw both his 1989 and 1990 MCI Heritage wins at Harbor Town. One of my top 10 courses in the world.

Yeah, I can see him competing for up to another decade maybe. But not the last 5 years or so when he would have been in his 50s. Today's top-20, 30 or 50 is so much better than they were 10-15 years ago. And you really need length on most courses if you're going to compete these days. But yeah, he could have bested a Micheel at the PGA or a Curtis or Hamilton in the Open for a few years more.

Stewart was my favorite golfer miss that guy.

A Ryder Cup stud. It irritated me that Leonard got all the credit for his lucky bomb of a putt when the real hero was Payne, playing Colin Montgomerie to a draw.

Back