• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PC proliferation on college campuses (formerly UNC students...)

Then I don't know what we are fighting about. Where did this term "trigger warnings" come from? Sounds like you are just being polite.

I don't know dude. You're the one with the issue. It's just like political correctness. It's just being polite but some people think it's the end of the world.

The idea of "trigger warnings" lends credence that people are so weak minded that hearing something "offensive" will cause them injury. The notion is fairly ridiculous outside of a few truly traumatized individuals who should be seeking professional help to integrate back into society.

So I haven't returned to this thread since posting this morning, so Strick, in particular, has helpfully supplemented my point. In a way your second bit is right -- while I offer such warnings to everybody in a class, I am thinking in particular of the one or two "truly traumatized individuals" that might be sitting in the classroom. And the rest of the students, I'm sure, appreciate such warnings.

Trigger Warning: Gatsby gets shot in the end.
Trigeer Warning: Ahab stabs a fish and drowns
Trigger Warning: Okonkwo kills a kid
Trigger Warning: The fat kid dies in Lord of the Flies

I've never put a "trigger warning" as such in my syllabus, but on the first day I will emphasize, for instance that we'll be reading and discussing some pretty heavy shit.

In the spring, I offered students a brief content warning for The Bell Jar and Slaughterhouse Five. And as it turns out (#anecdotes), in a single class of twenty-three freshman, one student's sister had attempted suicide earlier that year, another had been contemplating it herself, and a third had a brother fighting in Afghanistan. One of those three left the classroom crying once during discussion. All three specifically noted their appreciation for the heads-up. And nobody dropped the course to protect their intellectual safe space.

This Spring, I will certainly offer similar warnings for Lolita and Titus Andronicus, for instance. It's a "Banned Books" course, so pretty much all of the texts are pretty fucked up. In fact, it strikes me now the irony of conservatives decrying "safe spaces" while simultaneously enforcing community and educational bans on the very controversial texts I'll be teaching.

ultimately, it's the profs job to establish the proper atmosphere and parameters for useful discussions in the classroom

when questions arise, it's the prof's job to resolve them

I very much agree with this. This is why "trigger warnings" should never be mandated.

Is your view that a trigger warning is only required for "graphic violent, sexual, or profane material"?

Sure, but I'd add depictions of suicide and war trauma to your list.

I don't know that I would use the term "trigger warnings", but certainly it would be appropriate to mention before class that the following material will be graphic and feel free to excuse yourself if needed. I don't think this sort of thing would require a "trigger warning" in the syllabus, but that is just me.

it really just sound like you don't like the phrase "trigger warning"

Could be. Just sounds like people walking around not wanting to see anything that might offend their sensibilities.

I am to old to see that and not laugh. I am trying, though.

Good catch, ITC. For some reason, conservatives get caught up in the (admittedly) PC terminology for this things. I don't think very many would object to a courtesy warning about heavy content. Nor do I think anybody but Keeper would argue against spaces on campus dedicated to LGBT students, for instance. It's that the definition of these terms have on one hand been exaggerated and confused, and on the other conflated into a general PC bullshitty thing.

I doubt there are very many members faculty anywhere that would argue that students should be "protected" from hearing opposing viewpoints.

there are situations that you cannot precisely anticipate

1. highly unusual student quirks

2. things that student's might say in a discussion that other student's object to

Agreed again. But higher ed teachers, in general, would very much encourage students to challenge each other and to argue productively. Much like the internet, if somebody says something that is genuinely objectionable, they are probably being a dick on purpose to incite a response or make some ill-conceived point. There are plenty of respectful ways to engage in dialogue when two sides are in disagreement. I totally agree with you that some -- perhaps many -- students are overly sensitive, but there is a very big difference between the kind of discomfort that comes with having an intellectual disagreement and someone being intentionally inflammatory.

It's the anecdotes I hear of professors giving trigger warnings before discussing topics that should be commonplace in an educational setting--images of the confederate flag is a recent anecdote I heard--that are troubling. (And, by the way, I'm not an educator, but I have public and private universities among my clients, so I'm not that far removed from the classrooms, and I have no doubt that the anecdotes are accurate.)

Honestly, this is bullshit. Perhaps it happened somewhere, once. But I don't know a single University teacher that would hesitate to post something provocative like that. As long as you do it with some kind of end-game in mind, that kind of thing is precisely how you encourage productive conversation.

Really, all this controversy stems simply from a fundamental misunderstanding of what goes on inside the college classroom. Higher education is not at all about indoctrination or even about giving students some standardized base of knowledge (especially in humanities disciplines, wherein I imagine this debate is centered), but rather about teaching students to think for themselves and challenge critically the things they experience in the world.

Good post, phan.

You're an educator, right? How do you deal with these situations in your pedagogy? I'm genuinely asking.

And again - teaching is really fucking hard. It takes a lot of training and practice to be even passable. Dealing with your examples is part of our job descriptions and sometimes jobs are really hard.

I think the first thing is to establish an atmosphere where the students feel free to speak up and contribute to discussions. I do this starting the first day by asking the students to talk about what comes most easily: themselves. Then, I raise questions relevant to the course that do not have right or wrong answers, and so the students begin to think about the kinds of problems we will be confronting, and realize that they already have some useful, intelligent ideas on these issues. We sit in a circle. I don't need props. Learning is a joint project. And everyone is welcome, indeed needs, to contribute. If you get the atmospherics right at the beginning, half the battle is won.

Needless to say, I don't tell the students what I am up to. I let them feel their way and figure it out for themselves.

On the quirky students, let me give you an example. I once had a student who was from a Jewish sect that did not believe ordinary mortals, such as me, are actually allowed to say the name of God, or Yahweh. When I said Yahweh in class, she objected and asked me not to say the name of God. So, I said, "Fine." I will just instead say, "God, or the ancient Hebrews' idea of God." That way I got the idea across to the other students without offending her. She was kind of strange and relatively quickly afterwards left the school. I'm pretty sure she found plenty of other objectionable things about modern secular higher education. Administrators later told me that her father was quite an unusual and problematic character, and so they were rather happy to see her go.

On the matter of students saying objectionable or offensive things. I have a rule, which I impose whenever necessary, you have to talk about people as individuals and not as representatives of groups. It works pretty well, since no one has ever raised a reasonable objection to it.

I think the first thing is to establish an atmosphere where the students feel free to speak up and contribute to discussions. I do this starting the first day by asking the students to talk about what comes most easily: themselves. Then, I raise questions relevant to the course that do not have right or wrong answers, and so the students begin to think about the kinds of problems we will be confronting, and realize that they already have some useful, intelligent ideas on these issues. We sit in a circle. I don't need props. Learning is a joint project. And everyone is welcome, indeed needs, to contribute. If you get the atmospherics right at the beginning, half the battle is won.

Needless to say, I don't tell the students what I am up to. I let them feel their way and figure it out for themselves.

On the quirky students, let me give you an example. I once had a student who was from a Jewish sect that did not believe ordinary mortals, such as me, are actually allowed to say the name of God, or Yahweh. When I said Yahweh in class, she objected and asked me not to say the name of God. So, I said, "Fine." I will just instead say, "God, or the ancient Hebrews' idea of God." That way I got the idea across to the other students without offending her. She was kind of strange and relatively quickly afterwards left the school. I'm pretty sure she found plenty of other objectionable things about modern secular higher education. Administrators later told me that her father was quite an unusual and problematic character, and so they were rather happy to see her go.

On the matter of students saying objectionable or offensive things. I have a rule, which I impose whenever necessary, you have to talk about people as individuals and not as representatives of groups. It works pretty well, since no one has ever raised a reasonable objection to it.

Great post on a page filled with a lot of them.

This guy makes many of the same points that posters on this thread have made. Specifically, that trigger warnings don't suppress or silence speech, that not very many people actually want to ban controversial speakers from campus, and that some people -- epitomized, perhaps, by trump -- use the outcry against political correctness to "gleefully" insult and belittle.

UNC students interrupt race meeting with demands

Here's a great article on the subject of trigger warnings etc. in Slate. Gets into the science of "triggers" and "trauma". There's a lot in there I think we'll all agree with. And coincidently, the two major literary examples she gives are the two I mentioned above, having taught them last Spring and offered something of a heads up to their potentially heavy content on the first day of class.

http://www.slate.com/articles/doubl...ience_can_tell_us_about_trigger_warnings.html

Here's a great article on the subject of trigger warnings etc. in Slate. Gets into the science of "triggers" and "trauma". There's a lot in there I think we'll all agree with. And coincidently, the two major literary examples she gives are the two I mentioned above, having taught them last Spring and offered something of a heads up to their potentially heavy content on the first day of class.

http://www.slate.com/articles/doubl...ience_can_tell_us_about_trigger_warnings.html

Thanks for posting. A lot of good stuff in here.

It's honestly a best practice for someone to say, "Tomorrow's class is about child rape/bulemia/clowns/cannibalism, so if that's something that is going to be difficult for you, please be prepared." No reason to go into that without a little lube.

This was from last year:
Columbia students claim Greek mythology needs a trigger warning
In an op-ed in the student newspaper, four Columbia University undergrads have called on the school to implement trigger warnings — alerts about potentially distressing material — even for classics like Greek mythology or Roman poetry.

“Ovid’s ‘Metamorphoses’ is a fixture of Lit Hum, but like so many texts in the Western canon, it contains triggering and offensive material that marginalizes student identities in the classroom,” wrote the four students, who are members of Columbia’s Multicultural Affairs Advisory Board. “These texts, wrought with histories and narratives of exclusion and oppression, can be difficult to read and discuss as a survivor, a person of color, or a student from a low-income background.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/05/14/columbia-students-claim-greek-mythology-needs-a-trigger-warning/

It's honestly a best practice for someone to say, "Tomorrow's class is about child rape/bulimia/clowns/cannibalism, so if that's something that is going to be difficult for you, please be prepared." No reason to go into that without a little lube.

i agree; leave the triggering to art/books/film. I spoke with my wife about this yesterday and she said she'd rather not have her class disrupted and/or students leave/silence themselves while processing difficult material and instead come ready to share or discuss. If they want to opt out of the class it only hurts the student.

Conservatives have lost on the battlefield of academia. How to respond.
http://thefederalist.com/2016/09/19/right-needs-get-past-demanding-free-speech-campus/

Not sure I agree with all of that article but there is no doubt that the right surrendered it's influence in academia as well as the arts. I don't now if they yet realize how the left hegemony in these two fields is the main reason they are consistently losing the youth vote.

The market place of ideas would be much more interesting if young people were exposed to more than one view.

Back