• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PC proliferation on college campuses (formerly UNC students...)

sailor, why do you think only white people should be credited for innovations in mathematics?

I don't think math is associated as white, and it would be extremely dangerous to do so. Math and science rule the world. Why give that "power" to only whites? I always thought of math as having many sources - particularly middle eastern: zero, and "al gebra," for example. Tons of immigrants enter this country and struggle with the language, but they can do math.

I have two movie recommendations for Ms Gutierrez:

ejo-stand-and-deliver.jpg

cRcUds1h.jpg

...and there are probably more.

You’re agreeing with her. You’re making her point. She would recommend those films to other people.

sailor, why do you think only white people should be credited for innovations in mathematics?

your statement is absurd, no one thinks that, the whole argument is straw man

we use Arabic numbers

the zero - one of the most important mathematical innovations - is from India

indeed, India has produced a remarkable number of outstanding mathematicians

so has east Asia

no one I know has ever learned or known otherwise

So your argument is that Americans know that numbers are Arabic and the zero is from India and they know Indian mathematicians.

So your argument is that she just underestimates the intelligence of the average American.

Gutierrez has fantasized a racist boogeyman where none exists and proceeded to take up the cudgels against her straw man, thereby trying to demonstrate her "virtue" but instead behaving like a fool.

Have you read her work or are you taking the word of Campus Reform?

Perhaps she has an explanation.

after quick scan I did not see her article on line, would be happy to read it if someone could post it

those quotes are difficult to try to justify under any circumstances (she was given the opportunity to explain but declined, or neglected to do so)

apparently, by her argument astronomy would be racist because of the names of the heavenly bodies and just about everything else is racist too, and no doubt people using such racist terminology would be - you guessed it - racists too

Political Correctness Has Run Amok — on the Right

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Political-Correctness-Has-Run/242143/#.WlNonJhTh8o.facebook

This focus on the left obscures the same PC tendencies on the right. Far less media attention is devoted to incidents involving conservative "censors," as when Catholic University’s seminary disinvited the Rev. James Martin, a Catholic priest in good standing, because it had come under fire from right-wing sites that disagreed with his pro-LGBT views. (The university itself did not endorse the seminary’s decision.) Or when Trump supporters at Whittier College shouted down a talk by California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, a Democrat. Or when Newman University canceled a talk by a justice of the Kansas Supreme Court out of concern for students' safety due to an "unsettling" social-media campaign by anti-abortion activists.

We’ve been operating for too long with a double standard when it comes to political correctness. We’re quick to diminish left-wing concerns as fragile students taking offense, or to frame worries about campus safety in the face of incendiary speech as PC censorship when the alleged censors are from the left.

But when conservatives limit left-leaning speech, we’re spared the handwringing about campus echo chambers, "crybully" students, and the end of free expression.
Take a recent incident at Liberty University. An evangelical pastor who was critical of President Jerry Falwell Jr.’s support for the Trump administration was removed from campus and threatened with arrest if he returned. When Falwell was asked about the situation, he replied, "If we allowed him to come on campus and protest uninvited, then the next group that comes in might be a violent group, and we’ve seen recently what that can lead to," alluding to violent white-supremacist protests in Charlottesville, Va.

That justification is barely distinguishable from how a cautious university administrator might explain removal of a controversial right-wing speaker. But because high-profile opportunists like Richard Spencer, Milo Yiannopoulos, and Ann Coulter are right-wing figures hunting for disinvitations from the left, we form our impressions about what constitutes political correctness based on complaints from the right.

Even the University of Alabama has joined the "PC proliferation" by expelling a student for exercise her free speech right to say "nigger."
http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/18/harley-barber-alabama-racist-video/

MSD even got into the action.
http://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...cle_3d616292-eb79-52b8-80ae-270838028f9a.html

The university began investigating the video over the weekend after other students reported it on the Wake Forest bias reporting system.

In a statement released Sunday night, Nathan Hatch, Wake Forest president, said university leaders “took the matter very seriously,” and that staffers in the university’s campus life division offered support to students in addition to conducting an investigation.

“I encourage each of us to redouble our efforts in the days ahead to support those who are hurting acutely and take every opportunity to make our community better,” Hatch said in his statement.

In the online video, the female student says, “I’m hammered again tonight. It’s 2 o’clock. I just called my black RA a f---ing n-----. Let me know why did I do that. Tonight, I was at Pike, didn’t make it to another frat.”

Last edited:
The article doesn't say anything about "PC pressure" other than that quote from a disgruntled woman who just lost a job.

Any comments on my two posts above yours that were ignored?

In Name of Free Speech, States Crack Down on Campus Protests

Wisconsin is not alone. Republican-led state legislatures in Arizona, Georgia and North Carolina have imposed similar policies on public colleges and universities, and bills to establish campus speech guidelines are under consideration in at least seven other legislatures. These efforts, funded in part by big-money Republican donors, are part of a growing and well-organized campaign that has put academia squarely in the cross hairs of the American right.

The spate of new policies shows how conservatives are successfully advancing one of their longstanding goals: to turn the tables in the debate over the First Amendment by casting the left as an enemy of open and free political expression on campuses. It was at schools like Berkeley, after all, that the free speech movement blossomed in the 1960s.

That's great! Now the Republican students can line up to kick liberal tears as Ann Coulter talks inside.. Would be way more entertaining than actually listening to Ann.

Words like bigot, homophobe, and islamophobe do seem overused, but hysterical articles like that do not help clarify the issue.

Back