• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Penn State Penalties: $60mm, 4 year bowl ban, scholarship reduction, vacated wins

man, it will seriously damage the economy of central Pennsylvania if the football program really does become a doormat.

Last edited:
It was 2001 when they failed to disclose what they knew to the authorities, not 1998.

paterno and co failed to disclose the incident and investigation to their board of trustees. that was the first cover up. had they told the bot in 98 maybe sandusky would have actually been barred from campus. at the very least he would not have been given emeritus status and unfettered access with children.

man, it will seriously damage the economy of central Pennsylvania if the football program really does become a doormat.

The collapse of the antique store, wagon wheel, and buildings up for lease market is inevitable now.

HEADS WILL ROLL!!!

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...f-trustees-reaction-rolled-over-played-dead/1

Lubrano, a financial planner, graduated magna cum laude with an accounting degree from Penn State in 1982. He had been one of the harshest critics of the board as a non-member after it fired Joe Paterno last November in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky pedophilia scandal that rocked the Big Ten institution. During his campaign to become a trustee last spring, Lubrano purchased television time and included as part of his campaign a "Joe Paterno tribute."

On Monday, the NCAA penalized Penn State with numerous hard-hitting sanctions.

"It really wasn't much of a negotiation (but) everything's negotiable," Lubrano said. "My view is that we rolled over and played dead. They (board members) want to put Paterno behind them."

Can someone post a summary of the actual sanctions from the NCAA and Big 10?

This guy on the Penn State board says "I'd rather cancel the football program than become a doormat". Talk about some serious fair weather fans. A lot of these folks couldn't hack it as Wake fans.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=157&f=1395&t=9167907

425166_547671867330_1498853252_n.jpg

What are they doing with the $60M? The NCAA better not be keeping a single cent of it beyond their actual costs related to this mess.

What are they doing with the $60M? The NCAA better not be keeping a single cent of it beyond their actual costs related to this mess.

They aren't. It all goes to charities to protect children from abuse.

"if"?

They're going to get abused.

I would love to hear the Penn State Football recruiting pitch right now. "You'll never make a bowl game, and your college career will forever be associated with child molesting"

I would love to hear the Penn State Football recruiting pitch right now. "You'll never make a bowl game, and your college career will forever be associated with child molesting"

Okay coach, quit trying to sugar coat it. What's the bad news?

Won't the victims still get plenty of money from Penn State once civil suits are taken to court? If so then let the $60MM go to child abuse prevention nationwide.

Yes Chris. It will be very far off.

Just curious what you thought they were going to get in terms of penalties. It seems to be harsher than many expected.

Once I heard that the NCAA was going to do something "unprecedented," some of that stuff in the OP didn't seem too far off, and wasn't. Some was out of left field, of course. But the NCAA definitely came down hard by nearly anyone's standards, so I was wondering if you, like many, weren't expecting them to.

Just curious what you thought they were going to get in terms of penalties. It seems to be harsher than many expected.

Once I heard that the NCAA was going to do something "unprecedented," some of that stuff in the OP didn't seem too far off, and wasn't. Some was out of left field, of course. But the NCAA definitely came down hard by nearly anyone's standards, so I was wondering if you, like many, weren't expecting them to.

I definitely wasn't expecting much more than the fine and a bowl ban. The rest very much surprised me

Back