• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Penn State Penalties: $60mm, 4 year bowl ban, scholarship reduction, vacated wins

If those voicemails are legit wouldn't PSU be compelled to offer a large settlement right away?

If those voicemails are legit wouldn't PSU be compelled to offer a large settlement right away?

Um, so this is crazy, and I know I sorta raped you, but um, would you go to the Penn State game with me, maybe? I love you.

Solid article.

Yes, I agree. As a son of PSU alums and someone who has emotional connections to the university, I think this article puts the NCAA penalties in the proper perspective. To argue that it is unfair of the NCAA to impose penalties that could negatively impact the quality of PSU football, is truly disgusting.

http://chronicle.com/article/Freeh-Group-Member-Criticizes/133213/

I think the punishment fit the crime, but the unidentified source from the Freeh Report raises some interesting points. It's unprecedented for the NCAA to 1) move so quickly to punish and 2) do so with someone else's findings. Just compare this report to the ongoing UNC and Miami investigations. Sure, the Freeh Report team went deeper and dug through more documents than the NCAA ever would; heck, Emmert even says as much. But what PSU was looking for and what the NCAA should be examining are not necessarily the same thing.

I'm sure the PSU cult folks will use this as more fodder for why they were screwed over by the NCAA, however.

I think the punishment fit the crime, but the unidentified source from the Freeh Report raises some interesting points. It's unprecedented for the NCAA to 1) move so quickly to punish and 2) do so with someone else's findings. Just compare this report to the ongoing UNC and Miami investigations. Sure, the Freeh Report team went deeper and dug through more documents than the NCAA ever would; heck, Emmert even says as much. But what PSU was looking for and what the NCAA should be examining are not necessarily the same thing.

I'm sure the PSU cult folks will use this as more fodder for why they were screwed over by the NCAA, however.

So funny how people are labeled apologists or part of a cult if they don't fall in line with the mob. The article raises some of the same issues that I have. Who knew there were PSU apologists and cult members on the Freeh investigative team. Amazing.

So funny how people are labeled apologists or part of a cult if they don't fall in line with the mob. The article raises some of the same issues that I have. Who knew there were PSU apologists and cult members on the Freeh investigative team. Amazing.

Did the NCAA jump the gun? Yes.
Did they do so for PR reasons? Yes.
Is the NCAA a joke? Yes.

These things being true and the punishment fitting the crime don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Did the NCAA jump the gun? Yes.
Did they do so for PR reasons? Yes.
Is the NCAA a joke? Yes.

These things being true and the punishment fitting the crime don't have to be mutually exclusive.

This.

The problem I have had is a lot of the conclusions in the Freeh report were made based on very circumstantial evidence and what looked to me like a very biased negative interpretation. What I sense from this article is the bias was intentional to help Penn State....ie provide a sort of worst case scenario which needed to be dealt with in case it was there. Instead the NCAA deemed the conclusions far more definite without any question....and hammered them.

The other problem I have had is....the punishment fit a 'crime' IFF everyone involved knew a substantial amount of what was going on and IFF it involved members of the football team. If not then there really wasn't a 'crime' that involved sports. I don't see either being the case. Plus the NCAA formerly punished them back to 1998 when Sandusky was the coach for an incident where an investigation had occurred. I don't understand that....unless there is evidence that the coaches altered that investigation. Once Sandusky left the team then I don't see how his actions then make Penn State liable relevant to the NCAA unless concrete evidence exists that members of the football team acted inappropriately. Any evidence there is totally circumstantial and conclusions biased...see above.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

child rape

Silas Redd peacing out and heading to USC. Excellent.

Cory Giger ‏@CoryGiger
#PSU transfers so far: RB Redd (USC), LB Fortt (Cal), QB Bolden (LSU), TE Haplea (FSU), S Buckley (NC St) incoming Fr. DL Pollard (Rutgers)

Apparently their kicker is on his way to Texas too.

Sandusky has spoken out and thinks that the penn state punishment is too severe. My question is, who decided to ask his opinion?

Back