• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pepsi CEO doesn't like being called Sweetie or Honey

My point was that I'm skeptical that this is happening that much these days in Fortune 500 companies. Like are people really calling the Pepsi CEO "honey" in a business setting regularly?

Why do you think you know more about what happens in Fortune 500 business settings than the CEO of a Fortune 500 company?

Is there? Don't get me wrong, I know there's some nuance here to get through, but at its core is it really different? I do tend to agree that it in a professional environment it is mostly inappropriate for anyone to use any of those, but it also depends on the environment in which you work...which I guess brings us back to nuance once again.

I think I just talked myself in a circle. I feel dizzy.

Yeah. The word "sweetie" takes place in social context in which men traditionally hold power.

I think Ph was just saying that the female receptionist is probably calling everyone honey. I've never in my life heard a male call another male honey except in a private relationship context of a same-sex couple

I think the biggest thing is that some males use it in a derogatory manner only with females. It's a bias that they may not knowingly do, but it still occurs.

I have used this example before, but where I work it is not atypical to get calls from outside brokers that are picked up by my female worker and the response is "get me over to somebody who can help me sweetie," when she is more than capable of handling what needs to be done herself. I understand that they may think she is a secretary, but when I answer the phone most just assume that I can handle it because I am a male. I do work in a business that most would think a male "needs to handle" these things, so she is used to it.

I think Ph was just saying that the female receptionist is probably calling everyone honey. I've never in my life heard a male call another male honey except in a private relationship context of a same-sex couple

You come work with me, sweetie, and I'll call you all kinds of names you never thought you'd hear yourself called.

I would feel very weird calling a female coworker, superior or subordinate, sweetie. It seems very condescending outside of a personal relationship. However, I wouldn't think much about it if a female coworker called me that.

Indra sweetie, if you rly care abt women's rights why don't you worry about the scores of gang rapes and rampant outside pooping in your home country instead of being called sugah in the States?

What's with people calling co-workers by nicknames? I don't think I've ever called a co-worker by anything other than their name (or a conjugation of it) unless the person is actually a friend.

What's with people calling co-workers by nicknames? I don't think I've ever called a co-worker by anything other than their name (or a conjugation of it) unless the person is actually a friend.

This is also a great question.

Clearly you've never worked a manual labor job. Gimp, no-neck, jizzmop, oompaloompa, bigboy, Paco, and weasel are all people I've worked with; shockingly none of which were their given names. I work with a guy now who everyone calls Ruxin. Get out of your bubbles.

Clearly you've never worked a manual labor job. Gimp, no-neck, jizzmop, oompaloompa, bigboy, Paco, and weasel are all people I've worked with; shockingly none of which were their given names. I work with a guy now who everyone calls Ruxin. Get out of your bubbles.

This.

I used to work with two guys named Honky and Chap painting schools in Stanly County for three summers. Their mothers had actually named them Vernon and William.

This is hard to fathom.

"people I've worked with", huh? There's no way jizzmop isn't you.

we have achieved peak 2&2

Back