• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Personal Trainer

Is using a personal trainer worth it?

• Total voters

RaleighDeacon

Reaction score
What are the pit's thoughts on working with a personal trainer. I have never worked with one but am thinking of doing so now that I was forced to change gym memberships.

What are your experiences. Worth it? Overrated? Worthless?

Discuss.

Overkill if you're just trying to get in shape. Exercise regularly and focus on healthier eating. Done.

Get one for a few times, learn what you should be doing, and then do it by yourself

i've never used one but if having one to hold you accountable, help you out, and keep you motivated is something you think you need then by all means get one

A lot of people don't realize this, but the key to finding a good personal trainer is to find someone fatter than you are. That way they don't really have the mental edge on you. They can't break you down because they're just as weak as you are. It might not help you lose weight, but it will save you from the judgement of a typical personal trainer. And then, you'll just kinda forget about being fat.

The only reason for 95% of people to get a personal trainer is to force them to go to the gym. I've talked to a couple of trainers about whether I ought to work with them and they have always told me that if I'm at the gym then I don't really need them. They're usually very accommodating about helping you out if you have a question about targeting an area or spotting you for 30 seconds.

What are the pit's thoughts on working with a personal trainer. I have never worked with one but am thinking of doing so now that I was forced to change gym memberships.

What are your experiences. Worth it? Overrated? Worthless?

Discuss.

How much walking do you do on a daily basis? For many people, simply walking for an hour a day (3-4 miles) will get them to drop pounds. I know an hour can sound like a lot, but if you factor in that walking is free and there is no car to/from gym time you might come out even or ahead on time expenditures.

How much walking do you do on a daily basis? For many people, simply walking for an hour a day (3-4 miles) will get them to drop pounds. I know an hour can sound like a lot, but if you factor in that walking is free and there is no car to/from gym time you might come out even or ahead on time expenditures.

My mother started walking. In about 1-2 months she probably dropped at least 10 pounds and she wasn't overweight.

Whatever provides you with a minimum of three, 30-minute activities / week to elevate your heart rate, by ALL means, do it!

If a personal trainer gets it done for your situation. Do it.

when we're good at something, we tend to do more of it. when we're bad at something, we tend to avoid it. like for example, i'm really, really inflexible. so i tend to avoid yoga classes. but the problem with that is that it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy sort of situation. since i avoid yoga classes, i become even more inflexible, etc.

my job recently started paying for personal trainers for our whole office. it's made me suddenly very, very aware of all of the things i should have been doing all along that i just never did because it was too hard so i didn't enjoy it. if money is a concern, consider just doing 2-3 sessions with a trainer, writing down everything they say, then just doing it on your own. if money isn't a concern, i would definitely consider sticking it out for a while.

when we're good at something, we tend to do more of it. when we're bad at something, we tend to avoid it. like for example, i'm really, really inflexible. so i tend to avoid yoga classes. but the problem with that is that it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy sort of situation. since i avoid yoga classes, i become even more inflexible, etc.

my job recently started paying for personal trainers for our whole office. it's made me suddenly very, very aware of all of the things i should have been doing all along that i just never did because it was too hard so i didn't enjoy it. if money is a concern, consider just doing 2-3 sessions with a trainer, writing down everything they say, then just doing it on your own. if money isn't a concern, i would definitely consider sticking it out for a while.

Thought I would bring this back and say I have been working with a trainer since the end of December. It's helpful to me, so far, but I don't think it's something I'll continue on with for months and months.

The guy I am working with is pretty good to work with though and he keeps things different at the gym. Also, while he yells at me about form and stays on my case about finishing sets, etc. He is not like a drill sergeant/hard ass type, which would probably just piss me off.

I've just been walking and its already showing after just 3 weeks.

Anyone know a good weight training circuit thats online?

most efficient but likely hardest way to quickly drop pounds: stop drinking.

BUT DRINKING IS WAY TOO FUN SO DON'T STOP.

I've just been walking and its already showing after just 3 weeks.

Anyone know a good weight training circuit thats online?

No. You need to go to the gym and lift actual weights. E-weights won't cut it.

Trainers are highly overrated, for the most part. What you're typically paying for is the accountability of showing up and working out. The benefit is generally very limited and rarely are they doing anything for you that you could not have figured out yourself (be it programming, form, etc etc) with the right research.

That said, if paying a trainer is what a person needs to be active and healthy, so be it...I just think that the law of diminishing returns kicks in a lot earlier with trainers.

I would definitely do it if I had a little more spending money each month.

Trainers are highly overrated, for the most part. What you're typically paying for is the accountability of showing up and working out. The benefit is generally very limited and rarely are they doing anything for you that you could not have figured out yourself (be it programming, form, etc etc) with the right research.

That said, if paying a trainer is what a person needs to be active and healthy, so be it...I just think that the law of diminishing returns kicks in a lot earlier with trainers.

Definitely depends. It is way too expensive to be sustainable as a regular workout, but I workout with a trainer on occassion and the workouts with him are WAY more intense than any other workouts I have and he mixes stuff up a lot more. That might be because if it isn't with him I am alone and that makes it hard to motivate yourself the same way.

Back