• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Phil/genesis

Newenglanddeac

Reaction score
What's the story with him? Is he officially retired and done touring or Is there another farewell tour on it's way? I know he has the hearing problem but I can't find any info on when his last tour is/was.

Phil did a small venue tour in Europe a few years ago.

He did his "farewell" tour of big venues in about 2006.

Someone posted this link to a recent Rolling Stone article about him. Apparently he's obsessed with The Alamo and has lost a ton of money because of his ex-wives. Interesting article. But the full article is no longer available- just a brief synopsis.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-phil-collins-admits-suicidal-thoughts-20101109
• Collins has noticed glowing, semitransparent light orbs in a series of photos he took at the Alamo. "It's paranormal energy," he explains, nothing that a psychic recently told him he fought at the fort in a previous lifetime. "I don't want to sound like a weirdo. I'm not Shirley MacLaine, but I'm prepared to believe. You've seen the pictures. You can't deny them, so therefore it's possible that I was there in another life."

• A neck injury has left him unable to hold drum sticks, sign his signature or even (at times) wipe himself in the bathroom. "I was going to stop drumming anyway," he says. "I had stopped. I don't miss it."

• Collins admits that he's had suicidal thoughts in recent years. "I wouldn't blow my head off," he says. "I'd overdose or do something that didn't hurt. But I wouldn't do that to the children. A comedian who committed suicide in the Sixties left a note saying, 'Too many things went wrong too often.' I often think about that."

Phil is one of the good guys. He's really down to Earth and did get screwed by his ex-wives. His lawyers really failed him.

That Rolling Stone interview was kind of a downer. I think he had recently got divorced from wife number three and had lost a ton of money so it's understandable. Not the way I like to think of Phil. According to this link he's got a book coming out about The Alamo.
Phil Collins may have retired from music earlier this year because of health problems, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t keeping busy. The legendary drummer/singer has recently completed a book on the history of Texas.Collins, a collector of Alamo memorabilia, wrote The Alamo and Beyond: a Collector’s Journey, scheduled to be published by Statehouse Press in March 2012.

He told the London Evening Standard that the book has been consuming most of his time lately.

“The book has been taking up most of my time, certainly the last couple of years, but I’ve finished it now,” he said. “It sounds very anoraky, and I’m a bit embarrassed talking about it.”

While speaking at an event for the Dallas Historical Society last year, Collins said his obsession began as a child watching Davy Crockett on TV.
http://khitschicago.radio.com/2011/08/07/phil-collins-writes-book-about-the-alamo/

Phil is one of the good guys. He's really down to Earth and did get screwed by his ex-wives. His lawyers really failed him.

Yep. That last one really took him to the cleaners. He got royally screwed on that deal.

Yep. That last one really took him to the cleaners. He got royally screwed on that deal.

I'm kinda suprised Tony Smith didn't jiump in befoer the last wedding to make sure Phil was protected. Tony's had Phil's back for decades.

Near the end of his touring he liked playing jazz stuff in his summer tours of Switzerland and other places.

Didn't realize he couldn't play the drums anymore. Guess that rules out a Genesis-Peter Gabriel reunion with Phil on the sticks, though oddly enough it might make an old Genesis reunion more likely.

sp_0404_19_v6.jpg

One of my favorites off of a really good album.

Man that song brings back memories. I owned that cassette back in the day and I probably wore it out.

IMO Phil Collins solo work has generally not aged well, unlike most of Genesis' music, and I really don't listen to Phil anymore. But he was on top of the music world back in the mid-80s.

Man that song brings back memories. I owned that cassette back in the day and I probably wore it out.

IMO Phil Collins solo work has generally not aged well, unlike most of Genesis' music, and I really don't listen to Phil anymore. But he was on top of the music world back in the mid-80s.

Awesome album. I had it on vinyl. Saw them on the tour in support of it.

I love Phil Collins. I celebrate his entire catalog.

I still have that album on vinyl, but IMO, the Phil years with Genesis started to go downhill after Abacab. They were already setting a commercial trend with Duke and Abacab, but after that it becomes too much for me to tolerate.

Back