• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Phil Mickleson

Give Dave Odom the best players in the nation for 40 years and he could probably win 5 nattys. Anyone could. Lehigh, Mercer, VCU... choked like Greg Norman plenty of times.

odom had the best PF of all time for 4 years and didn't make the final four

The NCAA took away some of the supporting cast each of Duncan's years. Mahktar, Joachim Blom (twice), Sean Coleman.

The NCAA took away some of the supporting cast each of Duncan's years. Mahktar, Joachim Blom (twice), Sean Coleman.

Odom really shit the bed with some of the post-Duncan teams. He’s certainly a good coach, but he wasted the Josh Howard/Darius/Dawson years. We had a lot more talent on those teams than the results showed. I despise Coach K, but he’s kept that ship consistently afloat for a long time.

How many times did K have multiple first rounders playing together and not make the final four? Out of K's 40+ years at Duke, how many years did they have more than 5 HS AAs? This is a silly basis for complaining about Odom - Duncan's supporting cast was always badly flawed.

Odom was mostly a good game coach, but he was an inconsistent recruiter, and in the end, letting him go and bringing in Prosser was the correct move. And any insinuation that Odom is in K's league is baseless. Sure, K is an asshole, but he's 1 of the best coaches the college game has seen.

I suggest that we keep the figjam thread about figjam.

Give Dave Odom the best players in the nation for 40 years and he could probably win 5 nattys. Anyone could. Lehigh, Mercer, VCU... choked like Greg Norman plenty of times.

this is so dumb

getting the good players is part of the job

Heck of a pivot here - from Mickelson to Odom. :willynilly:

this is so dumb

getting the good players is part of the job

Fitzgibbons, Steve Rich, Mahktar, Blom, Coleman, Antonio Jackson (he was actually good I thought), Stringfellow, Sean Allen (we had to play somebody at PF I guess)...we were so lucky to have Tree, then Scooter those 1st two Duncan years.

And what does this have to do with Phil and the Trump pal Saudis? What not to do?

Imagine thinking that Wake would have won the National Championship if we had Mahktar.

Fitzgibbons, Steve Rich, Mahktar, Blom, Coleman, Antonio Jackson (he was actually good I thought), Stringfellow, Sean Allen (we had to play somebody at PF I guess)...we were so lucky to have Tree, then Scooter those 1st two Duncan years.

And what does this have to do with Phil and the Trump pal Saudis? What not to do?

DR said all WF grads are losers on his scoreboard of life. Supports Phil 😂😂like he did Trump. Greg Norman was/is working with Phil and the Saudi’s to start the new tour. Someone said Norman has few friends but makes the $$$. I then compared Norman to DR’s loving description of Phil- both have few friends but are big winners on the $$$ scoreboard of life. Then I said Norman would fit in well at Duke (Phil would too) with DR’s friends and Coach K. Then I compared K to Norman- he’s won 5 big ones, but he’s choked many away (Lehigh, Mercer, VCU...). Losing in the first round to those teams with teams full of 1st round draft choices is similar to Norman blowing a 6 stroke lead in the Masters. Then said Odom could have won 5 NCAAs over 42 years with the best players every year. Yeah, this post got off course.

You should have stopped at Norman and Figjam fitting in at Duke. 5 nattys are 2nd only to Wooden, and Wooden will never be matched.

You should have stopped at Norman and Figjam fitting in at Duke. 5 nattys are 2nd only to Wooden, and Wooden will never be matched.

Yep. But 1980-2022 with the best players almost every year, you would expect any decent coach to win a few. His NCAA experience over the past 15-20 years has been mostly early round losses and 3 natties. Heck, Roy won 3 at UNC over that period of time.

Brandel just lambasted Phil. Everybody on golf channel has come down hard on him. Saudi’s must have Phil by the gonads. But hey, Phil’s a winner on the scoreboard of life and DR supports him👍

Phil just released a statement. This is such a wild self destruction.

Nine months ago, Phil is the oldest to win a major. It’s a big boost late in his career that sets him up for tons more cash and publicity for the coming years. He is exempt for the next 5 years in majors, he can show up to any Champions tour appearance he wants, “the match” tv things as many as he can pump out. He even could have navigated this SGL if he just stayed quiet for a bit.

He threw it ALL away in a matter of months. And now what are his options? Double-down on some watered-down version of the SGL? Come crawling back to the PGAT, if they’ll have him? Just play the majors and fade away?

He is claiming stress and will need to take time away. Something is really off.

Back