• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Phil Steele pre-season All-Acc (4 teams)

Is this supposed to somehow be positive for us? This is flat out embarassing.

Is this supposed to somehow be positive for us? This is flat out embarassing.

Eek. I hate to agree, but I am hoping this is not what it looks like after the season. We are easily the least represented of any team, especially on first and second teams.

112 spots, 9-10 per team. We got 5, Duke got 6.

4th team RB
3rd team OG
2nd team KR (and I'm not sure how he gets it over Reid)

4th team DT
2nd team LB (I wonder what he'd be at DE)

That's pathetic.

Hopefully, but he's been overrated by our fans based on one game. I'm sure in his RB breakdown, Steele is including the fact that we only have one of his top 25 OL in the league.

Given how different the official All-ACC team is set up (only 3 LBs and 2 returners), Steele would probably contend that Wake will end up with no All-ACC players at the end.

Hopefully, but he's been overrated by our fans based on one game. I'm sure in his RB breakdown, Steele is including the fact that we only have one of his top 25 OL in the league.

Given how different the official All-ACC team is set up (only 3 LBs and 2 returners), Steele would probably contend that Wake will end up with no All-ACC players at the end.

True, but he also shared time with two other players. One of them is gone. I feel reasonably certain that JH would have had much better stats with more carries, don't you?

126 carries, 720 yards, 7 TDs.

Looks solid on the surface until you realize that 20 carries for 241 and 2 TDs came in one game in which we got destroyed.

106 carriers for 479 is right at 4 yards a carry over the other 11 games. And that still includes 6 carries for 74 yards and 2 TDs against Presby.

He's got to show he can be an every down back who can grind out the tough yards to get a first down. Look at the highlight clip on YouTube. He outruns guys, but he's got to be able to break tackles. He has real trouble with yards after contact. On an open field, he's great. And he's pretty elusive, but there are too many arm tackles and trip ups. We need him to be more north/south than he is.

Now I don't think he has to get 200+ yards against good teams every week like he did against VT for us to win. That didn't even work against VT. He's got to get past first contact, run through the tackles instead of getting tripped up, and turn a 2 yard gain into 3-5 yards on a regular basis. He will be the focus on the opposing defense. I wouldn't be surprised if teams put 8 in the box dare us to beat them with Tanner Price.

I gladly welcome the person who neg repped the above post to contribute to the discussion.

josh harris better get the goddamn ball this year

josh harris better get the goddamn ball this year

Unfortunately, given Grobe's tendencies, Josh Harris better show up at practice and be a "tough guy" in order to get the ball. Sitting around nursing a hamstring injury is going to land him on the bench. I don't agree with it, but that's apparently how Grobie rolls.

Ph, while you're right - the rest of the carries averaged out to ~4 yds/carry - let's not forget that the 241 yard performance was against Virginia Tech.

The dude's good. He's going to be great.

...and I hope they do put 8 in the box vs. Tanner. We have some speed outside and a sophomore QB with a year under his belt. Fine with me.

Ph, while you're right - the rest of the carries averaged out to ~4 yds/carry - let's not forget that the 241 yard performance was against Virginia Tech.

The dude's good. He's going to be great.

A lot of people were probably saying the same thing after Josh Adams' first year.

We have to earn respect before we are given it, and a lot of it is going to depend on offensive schemes and whether or not the offensive line nuts up.

You got to practice to play is an awful philosophy to have.

You got to practice to play is an awful philosophy to have.

Agreed. Idiotic old school philosophy. The excuse Grobe usually rolls out is "well how will we know that he's tough enough to count on?"

You don't. You don't really know that ANY player won't get injured on a given play. You just play them, and when they get seriously injured you take them out.

Apparently there was a WF event in Durham recently, and the writeup was posted on Scout. I won't post it here, but a salient point was Grobe's statements at the event about Josh Harris. Apparently, Grobe thinks the kid is full of potential, but feels like he can't count on him b/c of "toughness" issues. After the Va Tech game, he said we gameplanned around Josh Harris for the MD game. After one of the opening drives, Grobe says "he got popped and just limped off the field." Obviously Grobe wanted him to sack up and stay on the field.

A lot of people were probably saying the same thing after Josh Adams' first year.

We have to earn respect before we are given it, and a lot of it is going to depend on offensive schemes and whether or not the offensive line nuts up.

Exactly. We had a ton of fans who were knocking Josh Adams at the same time as they were hyping up Josh Harris without noting the irony.

Josh Adams as a freshman - 219 carries, 953 yards, 11 TDs

Remember when people were salivating over this?

Be optimistic, but at least think about history before repeating it, Wake fans.

This sentence from the MD game write up:
"Redshirt freshman Josh Harris led the Deacons on the ground, rushing 10 times for 27 yards and a touchdown."

Adams only had 4 carries. None of the other RBs had one.

I don't doubt Grobe's story but it looks like the gameplan changed because we were down 27-7 at the half and gave up 28 points in the 3rd. Harris still got the most carries. He even had a carry on the last possession, so he definitely played.

But if Grobe was questioning his overall toughness, I agree. I didn't see enough last year to tell me he's going to be the every down grind it out back this team needs.

Last edited:
Agreed. Idiotic old school philosophy. The excuse Grobe usually rolls out is "well how will we know that he's tough enough to count on?"

You don't. You don't really know that ANY player won't get injured on a given play. You just play them, and when they get seriously injured you take them out.

Apparently there was a WF event in Durham recently, and the writeup was posted on Scout. I won't post it here, but a salient point was Grobe's statements at the event about Josh Harris. Apparently, Grobe thinks the kid is full of potential, but feels like he can't count on him b/c of "toughness" issues. After the Va Tech game, he said we gameplanned around Josh Harris for the MD game. After one of the opening drives, Grobe says "he got popped and just limped off the field." Obviously Grobe wanted him to sack up and stay on the field.

here is some inside scoop for you.....

the problem is our trainer. the trainer tells grobe that a kid is good to go but he just doesnt "want to go". of course grobe takes that as a kid being soft. the truth is the kid knows that his hamstring is not ready to go and he will re-tweak it if he goes and set him self back. injuries are part of this game and just because we are not as deep as most D 1 programs doesnt mean every kid that gets hurt should be blasted in the media as being soft everytime he cant go because we need him so bad....

this is a reaccuring situation on this team.....

Back