• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Phillip Haynes

On ESPNU today, the All Access Wake Forest episode was on. Claws was addressing the team on the practice field, asking "Phil, how long have you been (on the OL)". Answer: "about a week". He got beat by Duke Ejiofor, but came back to stoned him on the next play.

Has he been playing or is he redshirting?

Not been playing. I noticed that on the Wake roster he is listed at 6'4, which shrinks him a few inches from his recruiting profiles.

Does he want to play OL?

Hopefully he wants to play where ever the coaches think it is best for him to play. I certainly think that is the most pressing need going forward right now. Of course, I'm not sure anybody "wants" to play OL if they had their choice, probably the most unglamorous position in football. Some guys however are just built for the OL and as we painfully know, it may not be the glamorous position to play, but it's extremely important.

Does he want to play OL?

Who cares what he wants. In football and the military you do what you're told. And that's how they prepare young men for life better than any other activity.

Who cares what he wants. In football and the military you do what you're told. And that's how they prepare young men for life better than any other activity.

nike_panthers_1249.jpg

A Ford came here as a DE, but was put on the OL after the first week. Some guys don't have the personality (High Motor) for the DL.

A Ford came here as a DE, but was put on the OL after the first week. Some guys don't have the personality (High Motor) for the DL.

I think it's kind of telling that probably our 2 best O-lineman the past couple of years (can of like being the tallest midget I know), Antonio Ford and Frank Souza, didn't get recruited as O-lineman, but D-lineman. Hopefully the talent assessment in recruiting O-lineman improves with the new staff.

Haynes, at DE, looked energetic and physical during the first August scrimmage. I believe he had been with the team only a week or so (no summer school). His defensive teammates were quite vocal in their support of his play. Nice to see/hear since he was pretty much a stranger to them.

I imagine easier to switch from OL to DL than vice versa. If he is a redshirt what better way to spend the year than learning the o tackle position. Better he learn this year than make the switch in spring or August. I would say this maximizes his athletic potential.

Career wise we have had more WFU OL in NFL than DL. How many tackles were drafted early this year?

Not sure.... I'm say this publicly..... His new coach is a prick!!!!!! Brought in a QB... Played him in the Monroe game and he did horrible.... Well so did his Oline....

Is he still planning on playing basketball for us at some point?

Was that ever a plan or just wishful thinking on the boards?

He got some hype this summer, but I don't think Haynes or Clawson said anything about it.

Back