• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Physician screwing over my handicapped friend.

Dr+Dre+OUT046332.jpg

erv0-035.jpg

Martin-Luther-King-Jr-9365086-1-402.jpg

amidoinitrite?

His and your understanding of narcotic pain medications is off base.

The usual suspects you mention are just combination drugs. Very effective ( I.e. should work) and very addictive.

The hardcore drugs you mention are either longer acting versions (OxyContin) or one of the components of the combination drugs above (roxicodone=oxycodone, same shit as in Percocet). I.e. Not hardcore at all, just different.

OxyContin is used for chronic pain management because it doesn't have to be taken as frequently. But the base drug is oxycodone. Junkies like to break it up and inject or snort it. Broken up you get a lot of drug all at once versus the sustained release.

Long story short you nor your buddy know shit about narcotics. Spinal cord pts should be treated by a physical medicine and rehabilitation physician. They are experts in long term issues like this and can help in pain management too.

This is the type of information I was looking for. So what exactly would he be looking to get onto?

This is the type of information I was looking for. So what exactly would he be looking to get onto?

If the only answer he is willing to look for is a pill, he'll likely be disappointed

well, darvocet is no longer available because it was mostly ineffective to begin with, at least the propoxyphene portion of the drug. Perhaps something like fentanyl patches that are time released would be an option but there is always the chance of abuse with those as well, many times leading to overdose.

Also, a little alcohol and marijuana is more than enough to be impairing while driving. I know it doesn't sound like much but there is plenty of clinical and driving studies to suggest otherwise.

Finally, your friend could have been under the influence of something else. An unmarked pill from a stranger is a recipe for disaster. While nothing other than alcohol and marijuana were found at the hospital, that doesn't mean that there wasn't something else that didn't cross react with the panel of drug screens run at the hospital.

Either way, I hope your friend finds a resolution and continues his improvement overall.

No.

Narcotics will work for a few months, but then he'll need higher doses. And then higher doses, and it will just continue. There's no question he'll become addicted because everyone on narcotics long term does. The narcotics will become all he thinks about - when he can take his next pill, when he can get his rx refilled. He'll develop apathy and depression, plus side effects like severe constipation. He won't be able to work. Overall, it will make things much worse in the long run. There have been several good non-narcotic recommendations on here that should be considered.

Narcotics are ideal for conditions such as pain from pancreatic cancer, in which the patient only has a few months to live. But someone with 30 years or more to live should not look to opioid meds for chronic pain control.

No.

Narcotics will work for a few months, but then he'll need higher doses. And then higher doses, and it will just continue. There's no question he'll become addicted because everyone on narcotics long term does. The narcotics will become all he thinks about - when he can take his next pill, when he can get his rx refilled. He'll develop apathy and depression, plus side effects like severe constipation. He won't be able to work. Overall, it will make things much worse in the long run. There have been several good non-narcotic recommendations on here that should be considered.

Narcotics are ideal for conditions such as pain from pancreatic cancer, in which the patient only has a few months to live. But someone with 30 years or more to live should not look to opioid meds for chronic pain control.

Thanks good points there.

Yeesh

Zqglass your boy made his own bed. Making him a walking zombie, funded by the state, is not in anyone's interest.

Also the "black comment"...dude. There is more than enough evidence to shit on our government's current "welfare" system. Its obviously just an attempt to throw money at a social inequality they don't want to actually address, however being in NC you should realize that white people abuse it more than anyone else.

In fact, that's kind of what your OP is implying...

This is absolutely the problem with his situation and why the docs said it cuts so many years off people's lives. I work in both pain and drug addiction medications discovery. The good news is, there are some pretty impressive mu opioids (morphine's site of action) in development that do not appear to cause tolerance or respiratory depression (cause of overdose death) because they are receptor pathway specific......ie they retain analgesia but lack most of the bad side effects and are probably not addictive. First one is entering Phase 2 this year.

http://www.trevenainc.com/news-details.php?id=48

Sure, people who are disabled by no fault of their own.

But not for pill popping alcoholics who very well could have killed others because of their reckless behavior.

Yup. Hard not the feel like that on this one especially since myself and my family use Union Cross road on a daily basis.

This is absolutely the problem with his situation and why the docs said it cuts so many years off people's lives. I work in both pain and drug addiction medications discovery. The good news is, there are some pretty impressive mu opioids (morphine's site of action) in development that do not appear to cause tolerance or respiratory depression (cause of overdose death) because they are receptor pathway specific......ie they retain analgesia but lack most of the bad side effects and are probably not addictive. First one is entering Phase 2 this year.

http://www.trevenainc.com/news-details.php?id=48

dude that's awesome.

His and your understanding of narcotic pain medications is off base.

The usual suspects you mention are just combination drugs. Very effective ( I.e. should work) and very addictive.

The hardcore drugs you mention are either longer acting versions (OxyContin) or one of the components of the combination drugs above (roxicodone=oxycodone, same shit as in Percocet). I.e. Not hardcore at all, just different.

OxyContin is used for chronic pain management because it doesn't have to be taken as frequently. But the base drug is oxycodone. Junkies like to break it up and inject or snort it. Broken up you get a lot of drug all at once versus the sustained release.

Long story short you nor your buddy know shit about narcotics. Spinal cord pts should be treated by a physical medicine and rehabilitation physician. They are experts in long term issues like this and can help in pain management too.

Totally agree with above post. May actually need to be weaned off the narcotics.

no formal medical training here but...

you do have a right to have your pain believed. if you don't like how ur dr. is treating your pain, you can find another dr., simple as that. plenty of dr. see things differently. some drs prescribe certain meds more than others for many reasons, opiates are no different. there are also pain clinics..they will help you. do not disclose past drug abuse though if you want to inc. your chances of getting a stronger Rx (kind of like if ur a cig smoker u wouldn't want to admit to that if being asked in a general sense or routinely). you can get those combo drugs mentioned (percs and vicodens, etc.) pretty easy which are supposedly abuse-resistant but those doses are usually very low (5mg hydrocodone (read not shit for getting high anyway)/500 APAP or whatever) and taking more can be more dangerous than the "harder" drugs because unless u can separate the Tylenol you'll die a much more painful death than any opiate ever caused anyone.

he will get addicted if taken them for long-term or permanent pain..not sure why anyone would care about whether someone got addicted to them though. that's not the same as getting high, and if taken as prescribed wouldn't become something that takes over his world. wouldn't even be a big deal as weeining under the supervision of an MD is totally doable, not that he'll ever be getting off of them anyway, and if the MD just stops writing the scripts he'll be getting off them one way or another...although that would be incredibly unpleasant.

someone show me evidence that opiates take years off your life (the fact that people who use opiates (like paraplegics) average shorter lives is, in itself, unsurprising. Also that recreational opiate use leads to OD thus shortening life is not surprising. Neither are people doing unsupervised injections dying earlier. Someone show me how the effect of the opiate itself is causing shorter lifespans?) The biggest problem (though admittedly not the only problem) with opiates is the invention of the hypodermic needle + no way to be sure what doses you're getting leading to ODs, and we as a society could fix the latter problem pretty easily w/heroin. There will still be the problem of people who detoxed taking too high an initial dose..but, i mean, even then we could do a lot as a society to mitigate the effects of the OD via education and decriminalization (i didn't say legalization though at some point you need to ask why stop at decriminalization?).

a morphine pump would be very effective and probably also have a lot more safeguards than a 30 day Rx.

good luck to your friend. I can't understand what that would be like. just remember i am not a dr. though.

do not disclose past drug abuse though if you want to inc. your chances of getting a stronger Rx (kind of like if ur a cig smoker u wouldn't want to admit to that if being asked in a general sense or routinely).

Oh yeah by all means hide important health information from your doctor to get the prescription you want. You definitely know way more about the potential effects of the hardcore pain meds than most pain doctors.

Back