• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pic of the Deacon riding the UNC ram into Groves Stadium?

I know there is a picture of the ram being led into Groves wearing a black and gold blanket with Lambda Chi Alpha on the side and I believe horns painted gold. It appeared in the yearbook the year after my long-ago frat brothers stole the ram. They allegedly were aided and abetted by a Chapel Hill police officer.
I was a Lambda Chi at Wake from '64 to '69 but I've forgotten the exact year we stole the ram. In a Thata Tau newsletter Brother John Dockery said that we took the ram in '63 but that can't be right because I didn't get to Wake until '64 and I remember the whole thing.* (I also remember John.) We painted it's horns black and gold! Carolina said that we didn't get the real ram but one that had been put out to pasture. Nevertheless, they wanted it back and we gave it to them at half-time. Maybe we are talking about another ram because Wake's stadium was Bowman Gray back then.

There's a photo in the summer 2006 Thata Talker Newsletter.

Last edited:
So the Lambinis did it twice in the early to mid-sixties, and the Pikas tried to replicate it in the mid-seventies? Typical.

Last edited:
Years later the UNC folks claimed the stolen ram was a ewe. The horns on the ram in that picture prove it was a ram.

Shocking that UNC would lie about anything to do with their athletic program.

Back