• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pick Our Next Basketball Coach for Ronald

Ronald will hire this person as next coach:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What are your reasons for thinking that? Not disagreeing at all, just would like to hear why you think he'd come here.

In no particular order
-His salary is currently on about 1.5M
-He's very academically-oriented as is his wife (Harvard grad/author)
-He has essentially accomplished everything you can at a mid-major (CBI Championship, magical Final Four run)
-Only 4 hours from Richmond. I'm also sure he's pretty familiar with the triangle recruiting area since that's about within 2 and a half hours of Richmond. His daughter is also only 2 and a half, so moving her won't be an issue.
-BCS program experience (Clemson & Florida).
-Doesn't sound complacent given that he's taken a fairly large step up w/ each job (basketball ops at Dayton, assistant at Akron, Clemson assistant, Florida assistant, VCU head coach).
-Never actually interviewed for the UCLA job last year.

You think Wellman has like $10 million per year to throw at Shaka?

So if wellman hired Shaka and then dropped the mic, is all forgiven?

I think we could increase his salary by $1 M and I don't see any other great jobs opening any time soon.

I think we could go 3.5 if we had to. VCU extended him last year, so I doubt that will happen again this year. If we interview him, I think he comes. BUT, I think it's a long shot that we even get the interview.

Not sure if this has been posted in another thread, but do you guys think about a timeline?

I'd say this is plausible:

1. Wednesday/Thursday: Exit from the ACC Tournament.
2. Friday: Buzz canned before Ron heads to Indy.
3. Saturday/Sunday: Nothing. Wellman in Indy.
4. Monday: Buzz could be canned if it hasn't already taken place.
5. Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday: Nothing. We see what teams/coaches take their exit from the Tourney.
6. Saturday/Sunday: Rumors start. Boards explode. More watching for teams/coaches getting knocked out.
7. Monday/Tuesday: Rumors. Possible candidate list emerges. Boards at critical mass.
8. Wednesday: Insider/back channel rumbling about a possible deal being in the works. BOARDS FUCKING EXPLODE.
9. Thursday: We get confirmation. Massive party/hookers/blow OR mass suicide commences.
10. Friday: Official announcement and press conference.

How much is his buyout? And don't I recall our Dear Leader saying he doesn't pay buyouts?

Not sure if this has been posted in another thread, but do you guys think about a timeline?

I'd say this is plausible:

1. Wednesday/Thursday: Exit from the ACC Tournament.
2. Friday: Buzz canned before Ron heads to Indy.
3. Saturday/Sunday: Nothing. Wellman in Indy.
4. Monday: Buzz could be canned if it hasn't already taken place.
5. Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday: Nothing. We see what teams/coaches take their exit from the Tourney.
6. Saturday/Sunday: Rumors start. Boards explode. More watching for teams/coaches getting knocked out.
7. Monday/Tuesday: Rumors. Possible candidate list emerges. Boards at critical mass.
8. Wednesday: Insider/back channel rumbling about a possible deal being in the works. BOARDS FUCKING EXPLODE.
9. Thursday: We get confirmation. Massive party/hookers/blow OR mass suicide commences.
10. Friday: Official announcement and press conference.

I'm not sure we'll fire him until the NCAA Tournament is over or at least until our prime target's team has been eliminated.

Lavelle Morton is the anti-[Redacted]. Charming, warm hearted, and can coach. Wake could do worse in my opinion.

Wellman's master plan:

Step 1 - 2008 - Send Jamie Skeen to VCU

Step 2 - 2010 - Bring in Bz to give the fans a taste of what it is like to really suck. Make 'em hungry.

Step 3 - 2014 - Parlay the Skeen/VCU connection and a wad of cash into: New Wake Forest Basketball Coach Shaka Smart.

Step 4 - Step back and watch the orgy on the Quad.

Step 5 - Ride off into the sunset feeling like a hero.

It's just too easy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, judging by this thread, there appear to be no more than maybe 3 guys that fit the resume' of 1) being successful, 2) having name recognition, 3) having a clean background, 4) being affordable and 5) being available ( contract terms ).

JB is going but I'm apprehensive on the search with such seemingly scant pickins.

When you have a show cause as a coach the NCAA is looking at everything that coach does. This is simply a fact.

It's also a fact he turned other Big Ten coaches in for recruiting violations that didn't happen.

He's a scumbag. He's not what we need.

Cool, so if John Caliperi or Rick Pitino were to call, you'd say, thanks but no thanks. #EarlThePearl #TeamPearlForever!!!!!!!!!

RJ, you are INSUFFERABLE and just a loser. I'd go as far to say #TeamJeffBzdelikAgainstRJKarl
Bzdelick > RJKarl

Here are a couple of names others are not talking about:

1) Larry Krystkowiak, currently head coach at Utah. Solid turn around since he got there three years ago. Got Montana to the NCAAs twice. Lots of NBA experience. Great story of personal triumph over adversity (Laimbeer's cheap shot). I'm not advocating for him, but seems reasonable for him to be in the discussion especially if he gets Utah to the tourney this year.

2) Ron Hunter, head coach at Georgia State. He has done a good job there the last couple of years. His son is a top player, but not yet a senior so that makes him less likely. He had some good teams at IUPUI. Again, I'm not advocating just throwing out some additional names that wouldn't surprise me.

i heard that wellman was going to hire coach k, tell the ogboards to suck his dick and then go work for the NCAA

Now is the time to come to the ACC. Coach K will be gone in a few years as will Coach B at Syracuse. The league has a great reputation, but is a bit down. Now is he time to come to Wake and return it to the top tier of the ACC

Back