• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinstripe Bowl vs Michigan State

26 TD's and 11 pics for Newman 61% completion rate; 4 TD's 2 pics for Hartman 57% completion rate. when you add all the running yards for Newman it is not even close. Hope Jaime comes back.

Newman had games against Rice and Elon which really helped his completion % and his TD to Int ratios. I prefer Newman playing his best. Newman playing like he has the last 5 games? I am not sure that Hartman isn't a better choice.

26 TD's and 11 pics for Newman 61% completion rate; 4 TD's 2 pics for Hartman 57% completion rate. when you add all the running yards for Newman it is not even close. Hope Jaime comes back.

Absolutely. He needs to come back, and if he does we need to not put the whole thing on his shoulders.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m just missing something, but the only reason I can possibly imagine someone wanting Hartman in over Newman is that he’s the scrappy little white kid.

There’s no reason to try to insert race or other non relevant aspects into this discussion. Others have clearly laid out why they would have liked to see Hartman given a shot yesterday - essentially Newman wasn’t playing well. I personally prefer Newman and was OK sticking with him, but I understand the arguments others have made.

The one pick yesterday was a strange play. Ball spiked by a D-line guy usually hits the ground. This one bounced off the helmet of a guy on the ground and back up in the air for the pick 6 by another D-lineman. How often does that happen?

really surprised Washington didn't"t play yesterday. he was out two months with a high ankle sprain. seems excessive.

really surprised Washington didn't"t play yesterday. he was out two months with a high ankle sprain. seems excessive.

Nah he is a borderline NFL guy who is going to need to do well at the pro day and combine to prove his draft stock. The NFL doesn't give a shit about an additional game played, they want to see max measurables. He needs to be completely 100% to try to show some speed and jumping ability on the track.

Chop block penalties were pretty weak calls by refs. Announcers couldn't find them on replay.

Also bad play kill by refs on MSU offsides. Should have been free play for Wake. Refs blew it dead. NOT unabated to QB situation.

Apparently many officials don't know what defensuve holding on receivers and pass interference are.

My understanding is if O moves, whistle is blown.

Newman said he pulled a hamstring next to last series. Shame on Clawson for continuing to play him. Hartman's % is a factor of not playing as much. He did ok vs FSU playing a whole game. He scrambles much better and avoids sacks better than Newman.

Hartman's negative is forcing the ball into small windows, and generally forcing the pass, at times. I feel he's been lucky not to have more INTs. I think with reps and experience, this will improve. Kid has moxie and a winner's attitude. If he can continue to get a little bigger, he may lead us to great heights.

Clawson could have done this all year: insert Hinton at QB in the wildcat formation with the run/pass option. We were just so predictable with the delay handoff - never looking to run outside or take advantage of the rush with a screen pass - Hinton would have energized the offense particularly in the second half giving them a totally new look. Remember back to the ACC division clinching game at Maryland in '06. Grobe put Kenny Moore in for that purpose and he rushed for over 100 yards. Hinton was woefully underutilized and had all th tools to provide a spark even if for only a series or two when the offense bogged down. The whole second half we sucked on offense.

MSU D-line may gave had something to do with Wake's difficulties on offense. Front four: 2nd team all B1G, 3rd team and HM. Probably the second best D-line Wake faced.

Very disappointed in how we played yesterday. I thought Michigan St was a good matchup for us but one we should have been able handle.

Their D line dominated, that surprised me.
Our offensive play calling was extremely conservative and vanilla.
This was a bowl game coaches, trick plays and gimmicks are the norm here.
It's hard to imagine a QB that threw three td's in the first half, look so bad in the second. I thought Hartman as a change of pace in the third or early 4th quarter would have been a good call.
Tough way for guys like Carney to go out on. This game really comes down to Clawson not having these guys ready to play. I don't know if it was too much touristy stuff or what but we played poorly and tackled even worse. 15 extra practices should have netted better results IMHO.

Washington not playing is quite puzzling knowing that scouts were in attendance.

Tough lemon to suck on until next August.

The one pick yesterday was a strange play. Ball spiked by a D-line guy usually hits the ground. This one bounced off the helmet of a guy on the ground and back up in the air for the pick 6 by another D-lineman. How often does that happen?

And the fact one brother spiked it and the other got the TD made it that much more fluky.

The offensive set had more to do with it. RBs that get the ball from a dead stop hurts their ability to move. Also, the QB is too close to the line of scrimmage. Any push whatsoever from the DL and they are in his face. Good defenses will own this offense.

Yes, we had good numbers, but we played a really weak schedule.

Clawson could have done this all year: insert Hinton at QB in the wildcat formation with the run/pass option. We were just so predictable with the delay handoff - never looking to run outside or take advantage of the rush with a screen pass - Hinton would have energized the offense particularly in the second half giving them a totally new look. Remember back to the ACC division clinching game at Maryland in '06. Grobe put Kenny Moore in for that purpose and he rushed for over 100 yards. Hinton was woefully underutilized and had all th tools to provide a spark even if for only a series or two when the offense bogged down. The whole second half we sucked on offense.

Ditto and amen!

Washington not playing is quite puzzling knowing that scouts were in attendance.

Washington warmed up before the game in pads. Caught for Newman when QBs were doing warmup tosses. Did the same at halftime, but was in just a shirt, no pads. That was a surprise.

We hit two long td passes. It was obvious to me that MSU made adjustments at halftime to stop run and vertical passes. Hartman is better at the short underneath passes. Not sure why this is controversial. Hartman was the better option in the 4th quarter. Newman is a better all around QB (right now) but MSU played to his weakness.

No one has mentioned this but I wondered if we had the right cleats for the natural turf. Did we play on grass any this year? Some of the tackling was so bad it just made me wonder if our D could make the quick cuts.

Back