• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinstripe Bowl vs Michigan State

This is the most Sky is falling reactionary shit I’ve ever seen in this board. One crappy loss and all of a sudden our team blows chunks FOUR YEARS from now? What the fuck? Take a step back.

I'm concerned that Wake will really struggle to become bowl eligible the next four years. If Clawson was ever going to capitalize on his success at Wake, then this seems like the most likely time that he would leave for another program.

Any chance for Military Bowl in Annapolis?

There are a helluva lot more alumni/fans in the Mid-Atlantic region than in El Paso, TX. I know that's not a "prestigious" bowl but they are all meaningless except for the playoff bowls now.

Next year's OOC schedule is challenging. could end up 2-2, but we can certainly beat App. The year after we should go 3-1. The year after that we should go 4-0. And then 3-1. Of course things can change, but right now Vandy isn't good.

We have played in the Military Bowl multiple times. We have never been to the Sun Bowl and it is more prestigious.

Also military bowl is tier 2 and we won’t drop below tier 1.

Official SIX WINS AND WE'RE BOWLING BUT WHERE?? Speculation thread

I'm concerned that Wake will really struggle to become bowl eligible the next four years. If Clawson was ever going to capitalize on his success at Wake, then this seems like the most likely time that he would leave for another program.

Why do you think we’ll struggle? If clawson stays I don’t see any reason we won’t continue to average about 6-7 wins a year. Some years we’ll have 5, some years we’ll have 7-8. Just depends on injuries and luck. With some great performances like we had this year from Sage and Newman (early in the season) we could hit 9-10 wins if people stay healthy. Our recruiting and player development is getting better every year.

We have played in the Military Bowl multiple times. We have never been to the Sun Bowl and it is more prestigious.

The Sun Bowl is not a bad bowl. Yeah I know it’s in El Paso and all, but it’s got a long tradition and it’s the only bowl game CBS broadcasts, meaning you get all the bells and whistles and everybody with a digital antenna at least can watch.

I may be in the minority, but a Sun Bowl game against a PAC 12 opponent sounds great. I vacation between Xmas and New Years, so I can only go to FL bowls in person. Lighting up a PAC12 defense would be fun to watch.

The Sun Bowl could be a fun trip for those who can make it. It’s New Years Eve so it’s more legit. I could probably convince my wife to go if we didn’t have a trip to NM planned for the Spring.

Got holiday plans regardless, so the Sun Bowl is fine with me. NYE on network TV.

Yeah Sun Bowl is a decent bowl and all but how many Wake fans will make that trip out to the west Texas town of El Paso?

Why do you think we’ll struggle? If clawson stays I don’t see any reason we won’t continue to average about 6-7 wins a year. Some years we’ll have 5, some years we’ll have 7-8. Just depends on injuries and luck. With some great performances like we had this year from Sage and Newman (early in the season) we could hit 9-10 wins if people stay healthy. Our recruiting and player development is getting better every year.

I think this is the proper sentiment. Our program reminds me a lot of BC under O’Brien FWIW. Solid foundation for sustained success. High floor, low ceiling kind of situation. If we become bored with that, we’ll be better for it as a program.

I think this is Clawson's peak at Wake. Wake loses a lot of experience on OL and defense and will likely take a step backwards next year.

Clawson has Wake winning 2 to 4 conference games a season. Wake needs an easy OOC schedule to consistently make bowl games.

Louisville and UNC on upward trajectory. FSU and Miami likely to improve and already loaded with talent/potential. Clemson and Notre Dame are guaranteed losses.

Recruiting under Clawson has gotten better but looks to have plateaued.

QB's seem to be highly susceptible to injury in Clawson's offense. Wake's lack of depth makes it difficult to sustain injuries ans win as the season progresses.

Clawson probably needs to make some changes to the coaching staff to address special team and defense. It's unclear and unlikely he makes those changes coming off an 8-4 season.

Yeah Sun Bowl is a decent bowl and all but how many Wake fans will make that trip out to the west Texas town of El Paso?
It will probably be low. Not an easy destination to get to. I'd be going to almost any east coast bowl, but probably won't make this one for budget and other trips coming up.

Also, how much of our fan base is diehard enough to attend bowl games every year? I think we have generally had great attendance at our bowl games because we didn't expect to be back in one for awhile. Program has made steps; now the fanbase has to as well.

To increase attendance, Currie is going to have to get current students to attend the bowl game. The fanbase has not grown much. It's typically parents of the players, the older crowd of true supporter alumni, and a smaller younger crowd of true supporter alumni. I almost never run into a Wake Forest fan who has no Wake Forest ties. We need to capture some of the Walmart fan market.

I think there will be quick consensus that the Tier 1 Bowl teams will be Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Louisville and UNC (with 6-win UNC jumping 7-win Pitt).

There are lots of possible scenarios, but two scenarios seem more likely than any others.

Scenario #1:
Virginia Tech to the Belk Bowl
UNC to the Pinstripe Bowl (Giglio says UNC wants the Pinstripe. In addition, UNC went to the Sun Bowl in 2016, so it is less likely they get put there)
Louisville to the Music City Bowl (geographic proximity)
Wake Forest to the Sun Bowl

Scenario #2:
Virginia Tech to the Gator Bowl (in a swap with the Music City Bowl)
UNC to the Belk Bowl
Louisville and Wake Forest go to the Sun Bowl and Pinstripe Bowl. Not sure which goes where. I don’t think that Louisville has been to the Sun Bowl before.

When I posted this I overlooked the scenario where Virginia Tech gets pulled up to the Camping World Bowl. That scenario makes it even more complicated. You’d expect that Wake, Louisville and UNC would be Tier 1, but now a fourth team would be needed and that would likely be Miami, FSU or Pitt. Miami and FSU would be good candidates for the Sun or Gator Bowls, while Pitt would make sense for the Pinstripe.

The Indianapolis newspaper is buying into the theory that the Music City and Gator Bowls will swap places, saying this morning that the Music City is most likely for the Hoosiers. This is the last year that the ACC will have a tie-in with the Music City and so I can’t see the ACC getting in the way of that swap. I suspect it’s really up to the Gator Bowl. But it makes the projections more challenging.

The more scenarios that I run through, the more I keep coming back to the same conclusion as everyone else: that the Pinstripe and Sun look far more likely for Wake than any other bowls. Belk would probably be the third most likely.

We’ve won 3 or 4 conference games every year for the last 4 years as our program has been improving. So I’d say 3-5 conference games is our likely average, not 2-4. Louisville and UNC are improving, but state and duke are declining. Our young players (Hartman, walker, Greene, Taylor, Greer) look great. I’m optimistic.

Back